Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
you can use the DIP switches in the FCCS, or the Ford app, to set the max amperage it will draw. If he did that, (set it to 40 or below) the plug would in theory be OK. Is it on a 50A or 60A circuit breaker?
It should be a 50amp breaker for a Nema 14-50 receptacle outputting 40 amps.
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
The wiring is not likely causing the problem you described. It does sound like a defective EVSE.

Also, your 12V battery may need reconditioning as it sounds like it is weak - it should not be dropping down low enough to give you that error overnight. Driving the car and keeping it plugged in will help keep the 12V battery charged. But that won't recondition the battery, it just keeps it healthy if it already is.

As for the wiring being up to code, I share the concerns others have about whether or not it is safe. Most likely you are using a 14-50 outlet, which is rated to handle 40 Amps continuous load. If that is the outlet you have, it should be on a 50 Amp breaker, not a 60 Amp breaker. It isn't safe to have a 50 Amp outlet on a 60 Amp breaker, and it isn't safe to run 48 Amps through a 50 Amp outlet. It is a fire hazard.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
  1. Call the number on this website and see if you can get help or a warranty replacement (not connecting to WiFi): https://chargers.ford.com/products/ford-connected-charge-station
  2. Make sure the dip switches are set to 40A if using an outlet. The station comes set to 48A by default and that will cause issues if the electrician did not set the dip switches properly (many electricians don't).
  3. Recharge your 12V battery manually. See my guide.
  4. Address the charge errors ASAP as these are likely causing your 12V drain issues.
Last, I am impressed your dealer actually took the initiative to install NEMA 14-50 outlets so they can address customer charging concerns. As an EV certified dealer, they are supposed to have these outlets already installed, but Ford hasn't been checking apparently. Dealers not having the required outlets to test chargers has been an ongoing issue. Perhaps your visit was the reminder he needed to get it done.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
First local codes can be more stringent than National Codes so if this is not allowed as mentioned then it is in violation. A confusing point for me is plug size. Your comment made it seem like it was a 60 amp plug installed. If so then I do not think the mobile charger could plug into it as I think the plug would be different. If your mobile charger plugs in then I would think you have a NEMA 14-50. I would have the installation double checked and measure voltages just to be sure the installation is correct no matter what path you take with a charger.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
It should be a 50amp breaker for a Nema 14-50 receptacle outputting 40 amps.
Sounds like OP used a contractor that installed a 240v line and outlet without a permit. No permit, no electrical inspection.

Every EVSE that I’ve seen advertised says for a 48A EVSE use a 60A breaker that should be hard wired. After OP gets his new EVSE he should run it at 40A unless it’s hardwired.
Sponsored