Interested in the MME, but several questions....

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
If your box has room for it, I'd recommend a 60A circuit so you can install the Ford Connected Charging Station if you wish. It is a 48A charger which means you need a 60A circuit (load *1.25).

If your box won't handle a 60A circuit, go as high as you can and that will determine the charger you can install.
You can run the heavier wire, but you can't put a 60A breaker on a 14-50 outlet. Let's not overcomplicate the situation- it makes things scary for a newbie and it's really not necessary. An extra 8 Amps plugging a car in overnight won't make a noticeable difference - either way the car will be done charging by the time he wakes up in the morning.

@Mirak all you need is a 240V outlet (called a "NEMA 14-50") put in your garage, and you can plug the included charger into that. See how that goes for you; it is entirely likely that is all you will need. When you talk to an electrician to run the line, you can talk to him/her about whether your electrical panel can handle 50 amps or not. If it can, then put that in; if not you'll still be OK with 40 amps (assuming your panel can handle that).
Sponsored

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Couple quick things:
  • Get a 240V 50-amp circuit installed. It's well worth it in the end, rather than hoping to get by with a 120V charger. If you're getting a new circuit installed, might as well make it 50-amp (with 6/3 wire) rather than 40-amp so you'll be good to go for a number of years.
  • Snow performance in an EV: I *HIGHLY* recommend using winter tires in areas where the temp goes below 55F consistently. The all season tires typically used on EV's are focused mostly on minimizing rolling resistance and tend to lose traction once the temp drops below 55F due to the compounds used in them. Last year, driving in the snow in my Kona EV with all season's was scary: lots of sliding at stops. I had a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi3's put on and it was AMAZING how much better my Kona stuck to the road. I drove up to Montreal during a blizzard and had no problem maintaining grip at 45-50 mph on roads that were covered in snow. I expect to do the same when I eventually get my MME.
How did these tires impact your range?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
You can run the heavier wire, but you can't put a 60A breaker on a 14-50 outlet.
Are you sure about that? A 14-50 outlet will force a reduced load resulting in a higher safety margin. I know it's against code to install a 14-60 on a 50A circuit but I doubt (but don't actually know) there is a restriction for placing a 14-50 outlet on a 60A circuit.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Are you sure about that? A 14-50 outlet will force a reduced load resulting in a higher safety margin. I know it's against code to install a 14-60 on a 50A circuit but I doubt (but don't actually know) there is a restriction for placing a 14-50 outlet on a 60A circuit.
The 14-50 outlet itself is only rated for 50 amps. Just like you can't put a 15 amp rated 5-15 on a 20 amp circuit. Having thicker wire such as #12 for a 15 amp circuit is fine, as is #4 for a 50 amp.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The 14-50 outlet itself is only rated for 50 amps. Just like you can't put a 15 amp rated 5-15 on a 20 amp circuit. Having thicker wire such as #12 for a 15 amp circuit is fine, as is #4 for a 50 amp.
The 14-xx series NEMA outlets are shape dependent for the load to prevent overloading. I don’t believe code precludes placement of a 5-15 on a 20A circuit either. It does preclude placing a 5-20 on a 15A circuit. In fact, there is a 5-15/20 that is specifically designed to operate 15A devices on a 20A circuit.
Sponsored