Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Now that much of the country is in summer and is experiencing warmer weather, what’s been the observation of cabin temps for those people with glass roofs, after the car has sat outside for a while? My Escape did not have a glass roof (obviously) and I kept the sunroof shade closed. Nonetheless, when I’d first get into the car after it sat outside on a hot (90+F 33+C) day, the black steering wheel would be almost too hot to touch, particularly the top part that was exposed to the windshield. Thus far, with the Mustang Mach E, the cabin is, of course, very warm when I first get in, but not an oven, and the steering wheel, while warm, is not uncomfortably hot to hold (it’s almost as warm as it gets in the winter when the heated steering wheel is turned on).
I’d be interested in hearing from places that get extreme temps, like AZ, NM, UT, OR, WA, TX, etc.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I'm not noticing any bad heat issues other than I don't feel that the ActiveX seats breathe well. I think it's because they are more plush than what I'm used to in a car, so they form fit to my back and that alone makes them stay hotter.

The roof is fantastic. 0 heat issues for me there.

Likewise the windshield is good, though I'll continue to put up a shade if I'm parking it for more than an hour.

Basically the only change I'm considering is tinting the two front windows. I just scheduled that for this coming Saturday. But as it is now with factory glass, it's not really that bad. ?‍♂

TundraEV

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
I agree. Just went through 3 days of 90-95 degrees and AC worked great. Sitting in the sun while driving was absolutely not an issue. The coating they use works amazing.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Living in Phoenix I decided to touch that glass a couple of times after it sat in the sun. That glass roof was really hot. A friend of mine with a Model Y, bought me a roof shade as a gift, it also has a solar reflector (Tesmanian.com). Huge difference you can feel no heat at all in the roof.

Here is the link:

https://www.tesmanian.com/collectio...ducts/ford-mustang-mach-e-glass-roof-sunshade
Wouldn't the roof be hotter with the shade installed, as you are reflecting a larger percentage of solar radiation back into it? Or do you mean you can't feel heat in the roof because you're unable to touch it now that you've blocked access?

Deleted member 3569

I am from FL and so far I have to say that the St. Gobain IRR glass has performed well in shielding the heat, however the sun glare does bother me though, the a/c does keep the cabin area pretty cool. It could be a psychological factor that whenever sun is blasting it gives me sense of intense heat. I read somewhere that is not advisable to add any tinting film to a IRR glass.

Last edited by a moderator:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I am from FL and so far I have to say that the St. Gobain IRR glass has performed well in shielding the heat, however the sun glare does bother me though, the a/c does keep the cabin area pretty cool. It could be a psychological factor that whenever sun is blasting it gives me sense of intense heat. I read somewhere that is no advisable to add any tinting film to a IRR glass.
You may be feeling heat from the side windows. The front row windows don't have any IRR coatings AFAIK.

I just got mine tinted today (front row only). Too early to say that I notice any difference while driving... But it was just under two hundred bucks for a high end tint so I decided to gofer it.

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
You may be feeling heat from the side windows. The front row windows don't have any IRR coatings AFAIK.

I just got mine tinted today (front row only). Too early to say that I notice any difference while driving... But it was just under two hundred bucks for a high end tint so I decided to gofer it.
Did you go with ceramic tint? Where did you have it done? Oh and pics or it didn't happen. ??

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Nice. Do the fronts appear lighter than the backs just due to all the light coming in the windshield? Or am I gonna need to go 30 to have them match?
They are definitely lighter. If I recall, the Stratos 35 says it has 39% VLT in its specs. The Mach-E's rear windows are probably closer to 20% VLT.

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Nice. Do the fronts appear lighter than the backs just due to all the light coming in the windshield? Or am I gonna need to go 30 to have them match?
I had mine measured at the shop when I was shopping around. The guy measured the back windows to be 27%. I've heard another had his measured and it was 25%. My guess is it is 25% because I imagine those measuring devices are within 2% margin.

That all being said. I'll probably get mine done to 35%. I have thought about doing 25% to match the back, but I found that it seems the majority of the states are 35% as the lowest and we travel a lot and some of the states are overly zealous about the tint stuff I've heard.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
They are definitely lighter. If I recall, the Stratos 35 says it has 39% VLT in its specs. The Mach-E's rear windows are probably closer to 20% VLT.
Yeah. This is 35 xpel prime plus on front and back.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Interior Temp Sitting in Hot Weather PXL_20210501_160122226.MP

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag

buddha34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium XR AWD
Country flag
After enduring some recent serious heat in Portland, OR, I agree that the cabin temp is not too bad after sitting in the sun all day, especially if I remember to precondition.

However, has anyone else noticed how hot the sunglasses dropdown case gets? My sunglasses will burn my nose if I put them straight on (I have taken to putting them on the side door handle right in front of the vent for a couple minutes while I drive off). That little compartment must be completely uninsulated and act as an oven from the sun on metal right above it. Thinking about trying a little piece of insulation or something in there.
Sponsored