026TB4U

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium AWD
Country flag
Occasionally, like this morning, my phone (Pixel 7) will connect to Bluetooth but won't open Android Auto.

During the drive, I tried turning the phone Bluetooth off and back on and also rebooting the phone. I tried to to manually connect Android Auto from the screen that show my phone is connected, but the dreaded 'Wireless Connection Failed' pops up after about a minute.

I did check that wireless projection was on which I had read about after doing a search, but that wasn't it since it was on.

It happens maybe once or twice a week, but when it happens, I can't seems to find a way to get Android Auto to work unless I pull over and turn the car off and on which I can't always do. I don't bother anymore and just used the maps from the phone.

I even received a call while this was happening, and I was able to receive the call and talk over wireless Bluetooth, it just wasn't the Android Auto call screen.

Very weird and frustrating.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

06VistaGT

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach E, '06 Mustang GT, '06 Explorer, '15 CRV
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
This happens periodically, though much more frequently in the last few weeks. For me, the solution is to reset Sync. Hold down the volume down button and the advance track button on the steering wheel simultaneously for 10ish seconds. Sync will go black and reboot.

This has worked 100% of the time for me. Sync boots up and AA connects within 10 or 15 seconds.

You can do this while driving, though it is a bit tricky to hold both buttons down if trying to steer at the same time. So do it on a straight away.

geftsnowball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-E, Grabber Blue, Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I did check that wireless projection was on which I had read about after doing a search, but that wasn't it since it was on.
For me, the solution is to reset Sync. Hold down the volume down button and the advance track button on the steering wheel simultaneously for 10ish seconds. Sync will go black and reboot.
Same issue since day 1, eventually I determined the quickest way was to toggle wireless app projection off and then back on. Works and quicker than forcing a Sync reset or power cycling the car (or at least less work).

OP
OP

026TB4U

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium AWD
Country flag
Thank you.

I will give both a try when it happens again.

Do we know why and if Ford is working on a fix? I'm surprised more haven't complained about this.

ThatGuyLando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CR1
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Do we know why and if Ford is working on a fix? I'm surprised more haven't complained about this.
At this point I've lost hope things like this will be fixed, and yeah a lot of people complain about it, Ford just doesn't seem to care. I mean why would they? They already sold us the car.

VindictivePantz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MACH-E Premium AWD w/ Ext. Battery
Country flag
Sometimes, I turn-off the WiFi connection on my phone, wait a bit, then turn it back on again.

Since 4.1.3, I get the issue more often than not and end up plugging the phone in as I need a charge anyway.

I also think Google made a few changes as I now need to unlock my phone for it to work, whereas before, my phone could be locked and Android Auto would still connect.

geftsnowball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I also think Google made a few changes as I now need to unlock my phone for it to work, whereas before, my phone could be locked and Android Auto would still connect.
Not a new change but perhaps your AA settings toggled in an update, there's an option to connect even if locked. Mine has always been enabled even after updates but you never know what settings might decide to change when updating.

VindictivePantz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MACH-E Premium AWD w/ Ext. Battery
Country flag
Not a new change but perhaps your AA settings toggled in an update, there's an option to connect even if locked. Mine has always been enabled even after updates but you never know what settings might decide to change when updating.

Good point. I've been needing to go in and tweak a couple of settings anyway and will take a look. Thank you!

HGxxx

First Name
Harish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion energi, mach e premium standard range
Country flag
Occasionally, like this morning, my phone (Pixel 7) will connect to Bluetooth but won't open Android Auto.

During the drive, I tried turning the phone Bluetooth off and back on and also rebooting the phone. I tried to to manually connect Android Auto from the screen that show my phone is connected, but the dreaded 'Wireless Connection Failed' pops up after about a minute.

It happens maybe once or twice a week, but when it happens, I can't seems to find a way to get Android Auto to work unless I pull over and turn the car off and on which I can't always do. I don't bother anymore and just used the maps from the phone.

I even received a call while this was happening, and I was able to receive the call and talk over wireless Bluetooth, it just wasn't the Android Auto call screen.

Interesting, I have a pixel 7, and since 4.1.3 it's been pretty good with wireless AA

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag

Good morning! Can you please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to look into your bluetooth/Android Auto concerns on my end!

OP
OP

026TB4U

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium AWD
Country flag
This happens periodically, though much more frequently in the last few weeks. For me, the solution is to reset Sync. Hold down the volume down button and the advance track button on the steering wheel simultaneously for 10ish seconds. Sync will go black and reboot.
I misread this as the advanced trac button. I ended up searching it and saw it was volume + skip button above and to the right of the volume. Wasn't too hard to do while driving but it didn't reconnect automatically for me and did take a while. The option below was faster and did reconnect.

Same issue since day 1, eventually I determined the quickest way was to toggle wireless app projection off and then back on. Works and quicker than forcing a Sync reset or power cycling the car (or at least less work).
This worked and automatically reconnected BT and AA.

I am going to respond to Ford and see what they can do about this. Will report back with any progress.

Thank you all.

Msnwcpa

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mme ordered, Lexus hybrid, Toyota hybrid
Occupation
IT
Has anyone gotten a fix for the Android auto disconnect and reconnect?

Is this a pure BT issue or happening when hardwired.

I am tired of the calls switching back and forth.

I am on latest version of Ford Up 4.1.2 FordPass, Android 13, with latest patches.

HGxxx

First Name
Harish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion energi, mach e premium standard range
Country flag
The new android security update for March seemed to have broken my good streak, now AA does not connect properly

geftsnowball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The new android security update for March seemed to have broken my good streak, now AA does not connect properly
On the March 1 security update here (S21 Ultra) and haven't noticed any deviation from normal behavior (minus the occasional having to toggle wireless app projection). Hopefully not jinxing anything but it's been (I think) a couple weeks since I applied the update).

OP
OP

026TB4U

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium AWD
Country flag
I have been using the sync reset because wireless app projection is disabled while moving and usually happens on the highway. The reset will connect automatically too, so I misspoke earlier when I said it didn't. I must have not given it enough time to reboot.

Thanks again for the workarounds until this gets fixed
Sponsored