Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have yet to get my hands on the Beta to see what else is hidden away. But now Apple Maps will have real time EV charging station availability for EV routing. This will be a great addition to the already great CarPlay abilities of the Mach E.
Alan, I'm thinking you've gotten iOS 17 beta a couple of weeks ago but if not, this is what the EV routing looks like. From SF Bay Area I put in a route to LAX and you can see my 3 charging stops. In the preferred networks screen when setting up EV routing, I chose Electrify America and EVgo. I've noticed that Apple is very conservative in its EV routing always ending up with anywhere between 40%-55% SOC between charging stations. However, you can pass the suggested charging station and it will recalculate to a further one if it is not too far away otherwise it will want you to turn around to go back. I can choose going to Sacramento Airport from here which is a shorter route but long enough where it won't have me charge and end up with 20% SOC (my car currently has 69% SOC).

IMG_6231 (3).jpeg

IMG_6232 (3).jpeg

IMG_6226 (2).jpeg

Last edited:

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
So this depends on the "truthfulness" of the charging station reporting their chargers are working or not ?

EA is the biggest "liar".
EVGo is fairly accurate.
Shell ReCharge is accurate.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16048

Alan, I'm thinking you've gotten iOS 17 beta a couple of weeks ago but if not, this is what the EV routing looks like. From SF Bay Area I put in a route to LAX and you can see my 3 charging stops. In the preferred networks screen when setting up EV routing, I chose Electrify America and EVgo. I've noticed that Apple is very conservative in its EV routing always ending up with anywhere between 40%-55% SOC between charging stations. However, you can pass the suggested charging station and it will recalculate to a further one if it is not too far away otherwise it will want you to turn around to go back. I can choose going to Sacramento Airport from here which is a shorter route but long enough where it won't have me charge and end up with 20% SOC (my car currently has 69% SOC).

Ford Mustang Mach-E iOS 17 - Maps to include live EV Charging Station Availability IMG_6226 (2)

Ford Mustang Mach-E iOS 17 - Maps to include live EV Charging Station Availability IMG_6226 (2)

Yeah, I posted screenshots of it in another thread that had more traction than this one. There are a bunch of different UI changes too that I posted.

rlust

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach e Premium
Country flag
How do I select the charging station network I want to use?

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
How do I select the charging station network I want to use?
Hey Randy, thought I would post some photos so you can visually see the various screens and also because I've been DM'd a few times asking the same question.

To set your preferred charging station network in your phone, open Maps and select your user icon (mine is a photo of Yosemtie Valley).

Ford Mustang Mach-E iOS 17 - Maps to include live EV Charging Station Availability IMG_6909

Then select vehicles:

Ford Mustang Mach-E iOS 17 - Maps to include live EV Charging Station Availability IMG_6910

Select your car:

Ford Mustang Mach-E iOS 17 - Maps to include live EV Charging Station Availability IMG_6911

Select add network

Ford Mustang Mach-E iOS 17 - Maps to include live EV Charging Station Availability IMG_6912

You will get a list of networks you can choose from:

Ford Mustang Mach-E iOS 17 - Maps to include live EV Charging Station Availability IMG_6913

To choose charging stations other than the default station Maps selects for you on a route, follow these instructions. I'm going to navigate to Sacramento Airport to demonstrate this route. I pulled up previous destinations and selected Sacramento Airport.

Ford Mustang Mach-E iOS 17 - Maps to include live EV Charging Station Availability IMG_6898

Maps gives me three choices of routes to take and I chose one that requires charging to show how to select optional stations. Also, it normally takes just under 2 hours to drive from my house to Sac Airport on the route that avoids charging however I took these at 7:30 AM and it is accounting for the traffic. My car battery is at 38% at the time I chose this route.

Ford Mustang Mach-E iOS 17 - Maps to include live EV Charging Station Availability IMG_6899

Select the arrow to pull up options:

Ford Mustang Mach-E iOS 17 - Maps to include live EV Charging Station Availability IMG_6901

Select Add Stop:

Ford Mustang Mach-E iOS 17 - Maps to include live EV Charging Station Availability IMG_6902

You can see your route and Maps is having you stop at one of your preferred charing networks, Electrify America. Select Add Stop again:

Ford Mustang Mach-E iOS 17 - Maps to include live EV Charging Station Availability IMG_6903

Select Charging Stations:

Ford Mustang Mach-E iOS 17 - Maps to include live EV Charging Station Availability IMG_6904

You will be given a list of stations to choose from. I'm just showing the first 10 stations here but there were about 18 total.

Ford Mustang Mach-E iOS 17 - Maps to include live EV Charging Station Availability IMG_6905

Ford Mustang Mach-E iOS 17 - Maps to include live EV Charging Station Availability IMG_6907

Last edited:

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am about to download beta 17, anyone having any issues before I do so.

backups are completed

thanks

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Is there still no way to show "distance to destination" when the Apple Maps EV integration is enabled? I learned that I really can't live with that data.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

backups are completed

thanks
Not really. Maybe a glitch here or there but nothing that would ever make me want to downgrade. I always run the beta's as soon as they come out and never had any major issues. I do it mainly to give constant feedback on the new stuff and what I would add/change.

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag

backups are completed

thanks
I also just updated my iPad and iPhone to 17 beta just today. I read on an article that the version that just released has the fewest outstanding bugs, went from 45 down to a handful from the last release, so far so good on both devices.

This thread encouraged me to do it since I am taking the MME on a trip in a couple weeks and really want to try this out.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Is there still no way to show "distance to destination" when the Apple Maps EV integration is enabled? I learned that I really can't live with that data.
I left a feedback about this suggestion last month. Apple never replies to suggestions but they always reply within 24 hours to any issues I have and always want very specific info to resolve it which usually happens on the next beta release.

Mauser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-e GT-PE Space White
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E iOS 17 - Maps to include live EV Charging Station Availability IMG_6907

So one thing that jumps out at me right away, is the removal of the rounded corners on CarPlay as a whole. squared corners make a huge difference on fit in the display. It's nice to see that.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I left a feedback about this suggestion last month. Apple never replies to suggestions but they always reply within 24 hours to any issues I have and always want very specific info to resolve it which usually happens on the next beta release.
Awesome, thanks Mark!

leehinde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
Do they say where they source the data? They get a lot of business info from Yelp, for example. I was wondering if there's a source all the other apps are using that Apple is also using, or if they're using a PlugShare API, for instance.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hey Randy, thought I would post some photos so you can visually see the various screens and also because I've been DM'd a few times asking the same question.

To set your preferred charging station network in your phone, open Maps and select your user icon (mine is a photo of Yosemtie Valley).

Then select vehicles:

Select your car:

Select add network

You will get a list of networks you can choose from:

To choose charging stations other than the default station Maps selects for you on a route, follow these instructions. I'm going to navigate to Sacramento Airport to demonstrate this route. I pulled up previous destinations and selected Sacramento Airport.

Maps gives me three choices of routes to take and I chose one that requires charging to show how to select optional stations. Also, it normally takes just under 2 hours to drive from my house to Sac Airport on the route that avoids charging however I took these at 7:30 AM and it is accounting for the traffic. My car battery is at 38% at the time I chose this route.

Select the arrow to pull up options:

Select Add Stop:

You can see your route and Maps is having you stop at one of your preferred charing networks, Electrify America. Select Add Stop again:

Select Charging Stations:

You will be given a list of stations to choose from. I'm just showing the first 10 stations here but there were about 18 total.

I downloaded 17, like it but seems I can’t select just ccs connectors, includes 1772 also. Maybe I missed something

but this is progress