IPC Buzz Noise - OTA Update Possible?

IB_NYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext. Range
Country flag
Just wondering if anyone knows if the Instrument Panel Cluster "IPC" can be updated via OTA? Awhile ago I read somewhere that Ford was working on a fix for the IPC buzz noise.

Love the car but the IPC buzz noise is still very annoying. I find myself constantly playing around with the brightness levels to get it to the level with the most tolerable level of buzz. Need the radio on at least a level 9 to drown it out.
Sponsored

Reactions: ARK

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Yes, but an update will not fix the buzz since it’s a hardware issue. You can see your dealer for replacement but they all buzz, some are just worse than others.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Just wondering if anyone knows if the Instrument Panel Cluster "IPC" can be updated via OTA? Awhile ago I read somewhere that Ford was working on a fix for the IPC buzz noise.

Love the car but the IPC buzz noise is still very annoying. I find myself constantly playing around with the brightness levels to get it to the level with the most tolerable level of buzz. Need the radio on at least a level 9 to drown it out.
Ford's official answer is that it's a normal characteristic of the screen.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Oh, no, not the IPC Buzz again… sigh… this makes the frunk debacle took like a walk in the park on a sunny spring day, with birds chirping and bees … er, buzzing… by comparison 😀😀😀

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I got my IPC replaced last year due to buzz. Didn't fix the problem entirely, but it is better. I figured they'd have fixed this for the 22s but evidently not.

OP
OP
IB_NYC

IB_NYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext. Range
Country flag
I got my IPC replaced last year due to buzz. Didn't fix the problem entirely, but it is better. I figured they'd have fixed this for the 22s but evidently not.
Oh interesting. Did it take long? Don't really trust them ripping apart everything but maybe I'll try that route.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Two dealerships told me there was no issue because they could not hear it. Did you have to do anything special to gets yours approved?

I find it more annoying in the winter months as I am more likely to have my windows closed and therefore more likely to hear it.

Polyphonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini SE
Have a variation of this in my Mini electric. Seems to be a cooling loop for the cluster screen. Why a sophisticated cooling loop is necessary for a screen that is downright primitive in comparison to the Mach-e screen is odd. Even more odd is that nobody else seems to be bothered by it.

Have you all tried 3D printing a transparent barrier? In tandem with some dampening material it might attenuate the sound to tolerable levels.

In terms of design flaws like this I have learned two big lessons.

1. Car companies never (or at least exceedinly rarely) issue fixes to existing owners over things like this. You are on your own.

2. With EVs, spend extra time listening to everything before you pull the trigger. Wind noise, road noise, motor noise, instrument cluster noise. There are so many potential acoustic annoyances.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I got in my FFE the other day (I hadn't driven it since I got my MME) and oh man! The buzz in that car is deafening. It comes from behind the touchscreen but echo's through the center speaker hole. I tried beating the dash to see if something was loose but nope! I'd say the IPC buzz in my MME is 1/3rd as loud as the nearly 12 yr old FFE with Sync3.
Sponsored