iPod Classic & Mach-e: Can they ever be compatible?

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium AWD STD Range (Delivered 5/22/23)
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
OK, before I get blasted about old technology, I love my old 2014 iPod Classic. I replaced its failed HD with a modified SD Card setup so it will last a long time. I searched old threads and found a couple of mentions of iPods with few to no specifics of any clarity about whether or not they can be made compatible.

I was wondering if anyone has figured out how to successfully connect one. If so, how? If not, do you know why it won't/can't work?

I'd appreciate any feedback after you've had your laugh at my expense! :)
Ford Mustang Mach-E iPod Classic & Mach-e: Can they ever be compatible? iPod
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
ArthurDOB

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
OP
OP
ArthurDOB

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
So what happens if you plug it in via USB?

OP
OP
ArthurDOB

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
So what happens if you plug it in via USB?
My understanding is that it won’t recognize it - that it’s even plugged in at all. You’ll notice I don’t have my car yet, but when I do I was hoping I could connect it the same way I do in my wife’s Edge, but I understand no one who tried a while back was able to do that in a Mach-e. I was hoping someone might have found a workaround by now.

Last edited:

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
OK, you piqued my curiosity and I dug out my old iPod and finally found the cable for it. Of course it needed to charge, but it finally came alive and I took it out to the car.

Started up, plugged it into the USB-A connector in the center console below the screen and nope. Got this error on the screen, "The inserted USB device is not responding." But it obviously saw it. I also tried the USB on the backside of the armrest but it didn't do anything but charge.

Ford Mustang Mach-E iPod Classic & Mach-e: Can they ever be compatible? IMG_3519

The iPod is a 160GB "classic". Honestly, I'm not sure which version exactly, but it's old school with the 30 pin connector, hence the hunting for that cable to plug it in.

Ford Mustang Mach-E iPod Classic & Mach-e: Can they ever be compatible? IMG_3520

Sorry the news isn't better. Maybe someone else will figure out a magic incantation that needs to be done before connecting.

OP
OP
ArthurDOB

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
OK, you piqued my curiosity and I dug out my old iPod and finally found the cable for it. Of course it needed to charge, but it finally came alive and I took it out to the car.

Started up, plugged it into the USB-A connector in the center console below the screen and nope. Got this error on the screen, "The inserted USB device is not responding." But it obviously saw it. I also tried the USB on the backside of the armrest but it didn't do anything but charge.

IMG_3519.jpeg

The iPod is a 160GB "classic". Honestly, I'm not sure which version exactly, but it's old school with the 30 pin connector, hence the hunting for that cable to plug it in.

IMG_3520.jpeg

Sorry the news isn't better. Maybe someone else will figure out a magic incantation that needs to be done before connecting.
That's the exact one I have and you have confirmed what I understood would happen. I wonder if a 30-pin to USB-C adapter would yield any positive results. 🤔 Yes, they do exist.

I suppose I'll try it when my car finally gets to me. If I can get it to work I'll write it up.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
That's the exact one I have and you have confirmed what I understood would happen. I wonder if a 30-pin to USB-C adapter would yeild any positive results. 🤔 Yes, they do exist.

I suppose I'll try it when my car finally gets to me. If I can get it to work I'll write it up.
Do you not have a phone?

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
That's the exact one I have and you have confirmed what I understood would happen. I wonder if a 30-pin to USB-C adapter would yeild any positive results. 🤔 Yes, they do exist.

Like I said, I had to dig mine out of a drawer and hunt for the cable, so buying the 30-pin the USB C isn't in the cards. I used to do this setup in a Toyota Avalon I had. Put in a new head unit just so I could use my iPod. Time has just passed the trusty ol' iPod by. I have a U2 iPod I tried to update the disk in, bricked it with my wonderful HW skills. So much for making money off of it on eBay :D

I really hope you can figure out a way to get it to work, but I fear that it's just that, a hope.

Good luck!

OP
OP
ArthurDOB

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
Do you not have a phone?
OK, "streamer." ;)

What people who stream don't know (or don't remember) is that there is a lot of music out there that is not available to stream. I have literally thousands of songs that will never be on any streaming service (my son's orchestra performances, bootlegs, obscure artists, etc.). I'd like to listen to them in my car using my iPod as I have for the last 11 years. If there's a way, I'll find it. I just don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone else has already done it.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
OK, "streamer." ;)

What people who stream don't know (or don't remember) is that there is a lot of music out there that is not available to stream. I have literally thousands of songs that will never be on any streaming service (my son's orchestra performances, bootlegs, obscure artists, etc.). I'd like to listen to them in my car using my iPod as I have for the last 11 years. If there's a way, I'll find it. I just don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone else has already done it.
The iPhone still syncs to iTunes. I can put my whole Napster collection on it if I want to. There’s a few old CDs I do sync to my phone that way because they aren’t on the streaming services.
Sponsored