Iron Remover Before or After Wash? Clay Bar?

OP
OP
ElleD

ElleD

First Name
Elle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium SR RWD; 2010 Subaru Outback
Country flag
Now you tell me?! You couldn’t have posted this a few days ago BEFORE I ordered my ONR from Amazon? :eek::D
Hahahaha you and me both! I’m using the ONR that I ordered from Amazon. For now. May spill some. And use it to clean the garage floor. It sure needs cleaning.
Sponsored

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
Hahahaha you and me both! I’m using the ONR that I ordered from Amazon. For now. May spill some. And use it to clean the garage floor. It sure needs cleaning.
It does seem pretty versatile. I used a dilution of 256:1 as a quick spray on and gentle wipe with a microfiber cloth to remove that black dust. Car was otherwise very clean. I did see on another site where they suggested doing this with a less dilute solution (16:1) but haven’t tried that. I know some feel that there are longer lasting ceramics available to non-pros but the Hybrid solutions ceramic is so easy to apply and fairly idiot proof. If I have to reapply in 3 months after a wash it’s no big deal, it’s quite quick.

OP
OP
ElleD

ElleD

First Name
Elle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It does seem pretty versatile. I used a dilution of 256:1 as a quick spray on and gentle wipe with a microfiber cloth to remove that black dust. Car was otherwise very clean. I did see on another site where they suggested doing this with a less dilute solution (16:1) but haven’t tried that. I know some feel that there are longer lasting ceramics available to non-pros but the Hybrid solutions ceramic is so easy to apply and fairly idiot proof. If I have to reapply in 3 months after a wash it’s no big deal, it’s quite quick.
The Turtle Wax Hybrid Solution? It does look very good. https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-5...pY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

I just have all this Collinite.

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Tesla Model 3 Perf, '22 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
The Turtle Wax Hybrid Solution? It does look very good.

I just have all this Collinite.
I have used Collinite waxes (845 and 915) as well as the Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Spray. Both are great products and offer pros and cons.

Collinite offers some of the best carnauba waxes on the market. They offer the beautiful warm look of carnauba and, compared to other carnauba waxes, last longer. However, they may stain black trim and they do have some petroleum distillates. These distillates give the products a "chemical" smell and I personally would not use any wax containing petroleum distillates on PPF. While the Collinite waxes are relatively easy to use, they are not quite as "user friendly" as the TW Ceramic Spray.

The Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Spray can be applied to all hard exterior surfaces, including black trim. It is very easy to apply and use. And it doesn't have that unpleasant chemical smell, so I am guessing it either has no petroleum distillates or a very low concentration. And Turtle Wax said that this line of products is safe for PPF. I personally like the look, warmth, and gloss of the Collinite waxes slightly more, but the TW sealant still offers a very nice look.

Since you mentioned the Chemical Guys drying aid, Turtle Wax offers a drying aid in the same Hyrbrid Ceramic line called Hybrid Ceramic Wet Wax. So the Spray Sealant can be your base protection and then you can use the Wet Wax after every wash to extend the life and performance of the sealant. Plus both products are reasonably priced and are a great value.

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
I have found Joe to be an excellent resource. I’ve used that Hybrid Solutions Ceramic wet wax as a drying aid after washing (with the 2 coats of their ceramic spray as a base) and it works well. That wet wax is reasonably priced at around $13 too. I did decide to try the Hybrid solutions pro Graphene flex wax (around $25 for 23 oz) and like it too—same idea as the wet wax, spray on after rinsing and towel off. It can also be sprayed on to a clean dry car and wiped off as an added way to build a bit more protection. I like using the hybrid solutions system since you know the products are compatible. And they are reasonably priced, reviewed favorably, and are user friendly.

OP
OP
ElleD

ElleD

First Name
Elle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have used Collinite waxes (845 and 915) as well as the Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Spray. Both are great products and offer pros and cons.

Collinite offers some of the best carnauba waxes on the market. They offer the beautiful warm look of carnauba and, compared to other carnauba waxes, last longer. However, they may stain black trim and they do have some petroleum distillates. These distillates give the products a "chemical" smell and I personally would not use any wax containing petroleum distillates on PPF. While the Collinite waxes are relatively easy to use, they are not quite as "user friendly" as the TW Ceramic Spray.

The Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Spray can be applied to all hard exterior surfaces, including black trim. It is very easy to apply and use. And it doesn't have that unpleasant chemical smell, so I am guessing it either has no petroleum distillates or a very low concentration. And Turtle Wax said that this line of products is safe for PPF. I personally like the look, warmth, and gloss of the Collinite waxes slightly more, but the TW sealant still offers a very nice look.

Since you mentioned the Chemical Guys drying aid, Turtle Wax offers a drying aid in the same Hyrbrid Ceramic line called Hybrid Ceramic Wet Wax. So the Spray Sealant can be your base protection and then you can use the Wet Wax after every wash to extend the life and performance of the sealant. Plus both products are reasonably priced and are a great value.
I’m glad you mentioned the black trim. This is something I wasn’t aware of. I think the Collinite will go back, the Chemical Guys stuff is already set up for return (sorry, Amazon). I will look into the Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Spray instead.

OP
OP
ElleD

ElleD

First Name
Elle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have found Joe to be an excellent resource. I’ve used that Hybrid Solutions Ceramic wet wax as a drying aid after washing (with the 2 coats of their ceramic spray as a base) and it works well. That wet wax is reasonably priced at around $13 too. I did decide to try the Hybrid solutions pro Graphene flex wax (around $25 for 23 oz) and like it too—same idea as the wet wax, spray on after rinsing and towel off. It can also be sprayed on to a clean dry car and wiped off as an added way to build a bit more protection. I like using the hybrid solutions system since you know the products are compatible. And they are reasonably priced, reviewed favorably, and are user friendly.
Pan did a review of the entire Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions line just 4 days ago. Talk about timely. I will look more closely into this line, thanks for the heads up.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Pan gets paid (a lot) to do reviews. None of the products he "reviews" are going to be put in a negative light and there's no real comparison nature of any of the products.

When you see TW Ceramic spray included with a whole lot of other sprays in a methodical process and see its durability compared to others, you realize how much of the marketing is just that.

There are better products, and there are more trustworthy people to listen to.

6 months which includes TW ceramic.

Last edited:

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Pan gets paid (a lot) to do reviews. None of the products he "reviews" are going to be put in a negative light and there's no real comparison nature of any of the products.

When you see TW Ceramic spray included with a whole lot of other sprays in a methodical process and see its durability compared to others, you realize how much of the marketing is just that.

There are better products, and there are more trustworthy people to listen to.

6 months which includes TW ceramic.
I agree with you. While Pan does offer some helpful instructional videos, IMO he is clearly interested in getting compensated for his "reviews". Scott HD, on the other hand, does real genuine honest comparison videos. Scott HD goes out of his way to state he has never been paid by any car care company and he never will.

That said, I think the Turtle Wax product performed very well in his test. Yes, there might have been a few products that lasted a bit longer. But these spray sealants are so easy to apply, whether they last 6 months or 9 months doesn't matter as much to me. You can easily reapply it if and when you need to.

I am a big fan of Griot's Garage 3-in-1 Ceramic Wax. This spray sealant, which combines ceramic, wax, and polymer sealant in one product, lasted 12 months in one of Scott HD's reviews.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I agree with you. While Pan does offer some helpful instructional videos, IMO he is clearly interested in getting compensated for his "reviews". Scott HD, on the other hand, does real genuine honest comparison videos. Scott HD goes out of his way to state he has never been paid by any car care company and he never will.

That said, I think the Turtle Wax product performed very well in his test. Yes, there might have been a few products that lasted a bit longer. But these spray sealants are so easy to apply, whether they last 6 months or 9 months doesn't matter as much to me. You can easily reapply it if and when you need to.

I am a big fan of Griot's Garage 3-in-1 Ceramic Wax. This spray sealant, which combines ceramic, wax, and polymer sealant in one product, lasted 12 months in one of Scott HD's reviews.
Check out his more recent version of the spray test which includes many new products including NuFinish's which is holding up REALLY well.

Personally I've been using Sonax's which is also a great product.

Here's a 1 month update for them.

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Check out his more recent version of the spray test which includes many new products including NuFinish's which is holding up REALLY well.

Personally I've been using Sonax's which is also a great product.

Here's a 1 month update for them.

I love his videos. If you check out the comment section of his video on Youtube, he shows a link to an Excel spreadsheet that shows all the products he has tested since 2015 and the number of days each product lasted until it failed. Here is the link to that helpful and informative Excel doc:

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yeah, super detailed and helpful. Exactly the level of detail you'd expect from...a...detailer lol

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
Does anyone have experience using Griot's 3 in 1 ceramic wax over ppf? I couldn't find any mention of it on their web site. Thanks.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
I love his videos. If you check out the comment section of his video on Youtube, he shows a link to an Excel spreadsheet that shows all the products he has tested since 2015 and the number of days each product lasted until it failed. Here is the link to that helpful and informative Excel doc:

Thanks Joe. Might you know how I can access that google sheet directly? It shows up in your post but I don't see a link to it.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Go to YouTube and all his videos have the relevant spreadsheets within the video details.
Sponsored