Is 0-60 mph in 5.5 seconds too slow?

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The AWD version of the Mach-E (Select, Premium, First Edition) has a "mid five second range" target for its 0-60 acceleration. At the risk of sounding like an entitled jerk, mid five seconds isn't quite quick enough to be impressive. A $60,000 performance crossover EV should be able to do better against a hybrid RAV4. Especially when it's called a Mustang.

For comparison 0-60 times:
Toyota RAV4 PHEV: 5.8s
Audi e-tron: 5.5s
Tesla Model Y LR AWD: 4.8s
Jaguar I-PACE: 4.5s
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
The mid five second time is the same as the base Mustang and base Camaro. The Mach E is sure to weigh a lot more which makes the times more impressive.

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The plug-in hybrid RAV4's time of 5.8s for 0-60 is nearly as quick as a base Mustang or Camaro? That's definitely impressive.

I'm hoping that Ford is able to boost the acceleration specs of the AWD non-GT versions to more decisively beat a non-performance hybrid crossover like the RAV4.

frinesi2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Golf TDI, '96/97 ZJ 4.0L, '92 Pajero 2.5TD
Country flag
You're comparing estimated times for a car that isn't out yet to mature designs and/or luxury cars.

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
You're comparing estimated times for a car that isn't out yet to mature designs and/or luxury cars.
You bet. Those are benchmark times for the form factor and power train so of course we need to look at them.

If you can compare the 0-60 times of a Ford Mustang to a Porsche 911, you can certainly compare the Mach-E to any of the other CUVs listed.

SharpGT500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
!974 Bronco, 2015 F150, and 2019 Tesla Model 3 Stealth
Country flag
The $60,000 Mach e is the GT, It's a mid 3 second car. The mid 5 second select starts at $46,500. The mid 3 second Model Y starts at $61,000 for comparison.

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I reserved a Premium AWD ER in red for $58,700. That's close enough to $60k to me. For a crossover that's marketed as having Mustang muscle car heritage, it needs to stampede all over a RAV4 and not be neck-and-neck with one at the stoplight 0-40mph race.

SharpGT500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
!974 Bronco, 2015 F150, and 2019 Tesla Model 3 Stealth
Country flag
Got Yeah now. The web sight prices are only starting points., you've optioned one out very nicely. I would like to see them follow Tesla on 0 to 60 times, RWD's mid 5's, AWD mid 4's, The GT does match the performance Model y at mid 3's. I test drove the Model 3 that went mid 5's. It was still pretty good,

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Got Yeah now. The web sight prices are only starting points., you've optioned one out very nicely. I would like to see them follow Tesla on 0 to 60 times, RWD's mid 5's, AWD mid 4's, The GT does match the performance Model y at mid 3's. I test drove the Model 3 that went mid 5's. It was still pretty good,
I'd actually prefer to get a GT but the glass roof, parking assist and 360 camera come standard on the Premium. Also, the GT's suspension/wheels configuration will likely be uncomfortably stiffer which would only be solved by having MagneRide. All of these things are going to cost more $$ and I'm already about to spend more than 2X than I've ever spent on a vehicle so if the Premium's 0-60 time is down to the 4 second range, I won't sweat it.

I've driven a Model 3 LR AWD and Model S 90D. Both have low 4s 0-60 times and are exhilarating. I've spent plenty of time in a Model 3 LR RWD and its acceleration is definitely peppy at 5.2s.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Standard Range, Chevrolet Bolt EV, Fiat 500E
Occupation
IT Architect
Country flag
i have three EVs Their times are 8.0s, 6.7s, and 4.3s in 0-60.

My last gas car was an Audi SQ5 that did 0-60 in 6.3s. about the same price as the GT (60k)

While 5.5 is never enough, it is a little bit of a brain melting acceleration for a while. Unless you're coming from a super car to this, it's going to be faster than anything you've ever driven and that stomp it is INSTANT smash into the seat. Getting 4-5 people up to 60 in seconds is big giggle factor.

The harder thing will be tire related. I don't know if I've seen what they're going to put on this yet, but they put low resistance ones on the Bolt and you spin the front wheels more if you stomp it. I've seen reviews where people put 'sport' tires on and they said the range went down because it's a lot more fun to stomp it than before :)

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
i have three EVs Their times are 8.0s, 6.7s, and 4.3s in 0-60.

My last gas car was an Audi SQ5 that did 0-60 in 6.3s. about the same price as the GT (60k)

While 5.5 is never enough, it is a little bit of a brain melting acceleration for a while. Unless you're coming from a super car to this, it's going to be faster than anything you've ever driven and that stomp it is INSTANT smash into the seat. Getting 4-5 people up to 60 in seconds is big giggle factor.

The harder thing will be tire related. I don't know if I've seen what they're going to put on this yet, but they put low resistance ones on the Bolt and you spin the front wheels more if you stomp it. I've seen reviews where people put 'sport' tires on and they said the range went down because it's a lot more fun to stomp it than before :)
I've driven the Bolt EV and Niro EV. Both have low rolling resistance tires that easily spin out on dry flat roads.
The Mach-E Premium will likely get 225/55R19 tires which seem a bit narrow if you consider the Model 3 has 235/45R18.
In a future where EVs become ever more common, 5.5s will be slow and easily gapped by many competing EV products coming out in 2021 let alone in the following years.
High-4 second range would make me feel better for the Premium AWDs. Mid-4s would make me happy.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
If I can pass easily at freeway speeds, going up a hill, I will be happy. I try to drive easy and get better efficiency. I suspect the Premium with dual motors will be just fine. YMMV

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
I have gone back and forth a few times with premium versus GT, because I have never had a fast/ish car. Seems like it would be fun to have a car capable if wanted to accelerate that fast. But then my more rational side says what am I going to need more on a daily basis, to humiliate a RAV4 at a stop light or better range. I will probably stick with my premium order but...

cjljr41

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e Premium 4X, '23 Escape Platinum Hybrid
Country flag
I'm happy with mid 5's for a four-door hatchback. I had a Fiesta ST that did low 6's and thought it was commendable for a compact hatchback. It's all relative really. I do have a sport bike though for my "go fast" fix, so that keeps me from considering the GT trim level.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
Actually 5.5s is quicker than the majority of cars on the road right now. Five years from now that may be different and GT cars being sold now will be shamed by soccer moms driving EV mini vans.

For me at least, if I get an AWD EV with sub 5s 0-60 I will be impressed. It'll be there when I need it. I am wondering about 50-75 which is equally important on some highway driving situations. From what I've heard, in the real world the EV is much more responsive because it doesn't shift down. But in the specs the ICE will look as good if not better because of the way they measure it is speed change not the time from the peddle to speed.
Sponsored