Is anyone else worried about replacing a battery pack in the future?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Don't know how old your dad is, but if he bought an American car in the 60's or 70's, no way it would last all that long.
My ‘72 K/5 Blazer has at least 1,300,000 miles on it. It had a Chevrolet Certified Million Mile sticker in the window when I bought it and I’ve put 300K on it. Yeah, it’s been through a few engines since I bought it (blew up the engine it came with 2 weeks after I bought it, ate its valvetrain on a crate motor after 80K, plus a few builds I did, mostly because I wanted to build an engine). It also blew its rear ring gear a few years ago. I rebuilt the transfer case about 80K ago and swapped in a 5-speed from a 2000 K3500 (and added a synchro reverse gear from a Dodge). I’ve blown more U-joints than I’d care to mention before I swapped to 1350 series CV joints and U-joints. The fuel sender is broken. It leaks and has rust. Oh, and I slid it into a few rocks and trees. 😱🐩

That said, it’s still on the road. It gets absolutely pitiful fuel mileage. It’s big and ugly. And it doesn’t belong as a #NoTaBlAzEr 🤪🐩
Sponsored

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The battery type/format in the current first generation Mach-Es will very soon be obsolete. Ford/Farley already said as much two months ago. In eight years, no new batteries in the old format will be available, manufacturing will have stopped years earlier, just refurbished and the price will be high.
Government regulations require parts to be available for 10 years on all models of cars.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
My ‘72 K/5 Blazer has at least 1,300,000 miles on it. It had a Chevrolet Certified Million Mile sticker in the window when I bought it and I’ve put 300K on it. Yeah, it’s been through a few engines since I bought it (blew up the engine it came with 2 weeks after I bought it, ate its valvetrain on a crate motor after 80K, plus a few builds I did, mostly because I wanted to build an engine). It also blew its rear ring gear a few years ago. I rebuilt the transfer case about 80K ago and swapped in a 5-speed from a 2000 K3500 (and added a synchro reverse gear from a Dodge). I’ve blown more U-joints than I’d care to mention before I swapped to 1350 series CV joints and U-joints. The fuel sender is broken. It leaks and has rust. Oh, and I slid it into a few rocks and trees. 😱🐩

That said, it’s still on the road. It gets absolutely pitiful fuel mileage. It’s big and ugly. And it doesn’t belong as a #NoTaBlAzEr 🤪🐩
I stand corrected. A few survivors do exist. However, most of the cars from that era weren't built to last.

luckie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD
Occupation
Professor
Country flag
Government regulations require parts to be available for 10 years on all models of cars.
Yes, exactly (fingers crossed that reg never goes away) refurbished 16kWh battery packs have been made available by GM to all Chevy Volt owners at $10k installation a piece.

Johnny B

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium RWD 2017Nissan Titan XD Diesel
Occupation
Retired Software Developer
Country flag
I bought a Prius in 2008...

When I bought the Prius a battery replacement was about $14000. Today they are at $3500. I expect the same to happen with Ford's EVs.
I had a 2007 Prius. Battery pack failed nine years later at about 130000 miles in 2016. Dealer quoted me around $3000 for a replacement at that time. Bought a rebuilt pack from GreenTec for under $2000, including installation by a tech at my home. Had a three year warranty, same as the dealer option. It failed exactly 3 days before the warranty expired. They replaced it for free and it was still healthy when we traded it for the MME.

Even a hybrid battery has circuitry and other non-battery components inside the pack. The rebuild process doesn't mess with that. They just replace the cells.

I'm of an age where it's more likely that the car will be around eight years from now than I, so no worries about battery life.

Doug&Julie

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium LR-RWD
Occupation
Designer
Country flag
We plan to keep ours 10+ years, but have no worries. The warranty will cover "complete failure" for quite a while and, as far as degradation is concerned...well that's why we bought the ER RWD...if in 10 years we lose 30% of battery, we'll still have an EV that can go 200 miles per charge. But more likely we'll still have a car that's good for over 250 miles of range by then. I'm good with that...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E premium grey
Country flag
Dont worry, Typical Li battery decay rate is related to number of duty cycle. Assume typical use, 60%battery a week and thats a good habit to charge from 25-85% ish. you avg out 52times charges a year. MOST Li battery decay about 20% and less in 1000cycles in this charging habit and thats translate to >19yrs. At that time your battery will reduce to 80% of begining of life. This assume you store the battery at temperature within it's specification. typically 20c to 125c.

Aging and motor wear etc are other effects that will make your range shorter. The battery itself is fine.
Sponsored