Is everyone's MME this loud when the AC compressor runs?

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Now that its getting warm out, every time I start the MME, the AC Compressor comes on immediately. Its made me realize how loud the thing is. Is everyone's this loud?

Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Mine doesn't sound quite like that. Mine sounds more like I'd expect if there was a propeller spinning on the front of the car for the first minute or so. Then it goes away.

Todd

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EV6 GT
Country flag
Is that constant or only on startup?

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
If the AC compressor is running it makes that noise. It will speed up and slow down depending on how hard its running. But it never goes away unless you turn off the AC or the Car.

PrimeFuture

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium RWD ER, 2013 Ford Focus
Country flag
Sounds louder and higher pitched than mine, and I'm in Texas so it's at full blast when I turn the car on remotely. My guess is there's a fan that's a little off alignment. Might be worth a dealership visit (at least I was if I was you).

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Now that its getting warm out, every time I start the MME, the AC Compressor comes on immediately. Its made me realize how loud the thing is. Is everyone's this loud?

My car sounds the same as yours.

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag

Based on the nice floor seen in the vid, it looks like you were inside a garage, which is a pretty reverberant sound environment. So, I would say this noise is typical of the MME for a/c compressor noise after initial startup.

Depending on the ambient temperature and whether you're in "max a/c" or an auto setting, the initial speed that the compressor ramps up to will vary. But especially if you're in auto and in a less than extreme ambient, it should ramp down the speed fairly quickly. Of course, if you want to minimize the initial startup noise, you can precondition the cabin.

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Based on the nice floor seen in the vid, it looks like you were inside a garage, which is a pretty reverberant sound environment. So, I would say this noise is typical of the MME for a/c compressor noise after initial startup.

Depending on the ambient temperature and whether you're in "max a/c" or an auto setting, the initial speed that the compressor ramps up to will vary. But especially if you're in auto and in a less than extreme ambient, it should ramp down the speed fairly quickly. Of course, if you want to minimize the initial startup noise, you can precondition the cabin.
It is in the garage. But its just as loud outside. I can hear it inside the cabin over the radio. When I start the car outside, people stop and look to see what the noise is.

It sounds like my fridge when it gets some ice buildup and the fan starts to slightly hit it as it spins.

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thats crazy loud. My FE is barely noticeable. In comparison yours sounds like its on high and mine is on low.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Mine sounds like the first 9 seconds of yours. Yours then added on what sounds like a loose fan blade buzz, or something small stuck in the fan blade that it's ticking on as it goes by each revolution. Or at least that's sorta what it sounds like to me.

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Mine sounds like the first 9 seconds of yours. Yours then added on what sounds like a loose fan blade buzz, or something small stuck in the fan blade that it's ticking on as it goes by each revolution. Or at least that's sorta what it sounds like to me.
Thats what It sounds like to me as well, which is why it caused me to ask on here. I only heard it occasionally up until this week, and now it pretty much is constant

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Thats what It sounds like to me as well, which is why it caused me to ask on here. I only heard it occasionally up until this week, and now it pretty much is constant
That does sound too loud, like a fan sucked up something it shouldn't have. Not an emergency, but worth a trip to the dealership.

CopperRobot

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Country flag
Mine is just as loud and same sound. Try filling the frunk with frozen cooler packs to cool the car, then drive to the nearest town where outdoor temp is no more than 70°F. Problem will be resolved. Jokes aside, it is so loud and buzzy, it is embarrassing. Only a failing power steering pump squeek is more annoying.

Trick.Mach-E

First Name
Trick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old Raptor, Mach-E4x, New Raptor, F-250, Taycan.
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag

Our FE Mach-E and our Fusion Plug-in Hybrid have this sound with the A/C on. It's normal!

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Yeah, the compressor on this car is loud and creates a ton of vibration for some reason. I get it is probably a size larger than the Cmax/Fusion Energi and Focus Electric, but those were relatively quiet and low vibration compared to this one. I'm just happy the AC works really well. That was the biggest gripe of the 2018 Model X I used to drive around...CRAP AC.
Sponsored