Is everyone's MME this loud when the AC compressor runs?

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Hmm, I thought the auto setting would cool to 72 degrees, which is generally a bit higher than I normally set the AC during the summer, so I thought that would actually be quieter. But maybe I'm mis-understanding how this works.
sorry, what I wrote may have been confusing. The "auto" selection I'm referring to is not on the climate controls at the bottom of the touchscreen. Rather, it's under the remote start settings in the touchscreen; basically, it defines what the climate control sets to when you remote start. Either it uses the settings from the controls at the bottom of the touchscreen "use last settings" or pre-configured settings based on the ambient temp "auto"

the climate control auto setting at the bottom of the touchscreen will cool to whatever temperature you set. Depending on whether you pick auto low, medium, or high, it will get to that temp setpoint more slowly or more quickly.
Sponsored

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
In regards to a/c compressor vibration, one big difference between the MME and the Cmax or Fusion would be that compressor is not mounted to an engine block. Those engine mounts are pretty darn effective at keeping vibration out of the body structure!
Fair point, but my focus electric did not have the vibrations that the Mach E does and I'm pretty sure the compressors are similarly sized. The Focus sounded the same just less vibrations.

Luckily as the compressor ramps down (as it does quickly generally) it becomes unnoticeable.

WSpartan

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
I am in AZ, mine is super loud both while charging and just running. In all fairness it was 115 degrees yesterday

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
the good is that cool air is delivered immediately.
Not always the case with other vehicles.

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Fair point, but my focus electric did not have the vibrations that the Mach E does and I'm pretty sure the compressors are similarly sized. The Focus sounded the same just less vibrations.

Luckily as the compressor ramps down (as it does quickly generally) it becomes unnoticeable.
the compressor on the Focus BEV was mounted to the drive unit. So, its vibrations were isolated by the drive unit's mounts.

db4z

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Country flag
The A/C compressor is electric and therefore it would make sense that its speed and therefore loudness (from not only spinning faster but generating higher pressures) will vary based on how much heat it is trying to move out of the cabin/power electronics.

In summer in texas a lot of people just leave their ice cars running whenever they go into stores to keep their cars cool so parking lots, etc are always loud. If you are really concerned go to dealer and ask to listen to another car that has been sitting in the sun.

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The A/C compressor is electric and therefore it would make sense that its speed and therefore loudness (from not only spinning faster but generating higher pressures) will vary based on how much heat it is trying to move out of the cabin/power electronics.

In summer in texas a lot of people just leave their ice cars running whenever they go into stores to keep their cars cool so parking lots, etc are always loud. If you are really concerned go to dealer and ask to listen to another car that has been sitting in the sun.
That was my purpose of this post. This is my first EV, so I didn't know if this was normal or not. And of course there are no other Mach E's around here to try it on other models. Just wanted to get an idea of if that level of noise was expected or not. It just seems a little out of place in an otherwise silent car.

Its fun to get people turning to just check out the car, but when you get people looking across a parking lot trying to figure out what that noise is, its sometimes embarrassing.

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
Now that its getting warm out, every time I start the MME, the AC Compressor comes on immediately. Its made me realize how loud the thing is. Is everyone's this loud?

That sounds about right compared to what I've experienced on my MME Premium AWDX when i first start it after it's been sitting in 30c or hotter for a while. I can also slightly feel the vibration in the pedals while the compressor is hard at work. But after about 10 or 15 min the cabin comes to temp and the AC quiets right down.

I was kind of put off by this at first, but I've come to realize that with no engine to mask the sounds of other mechanical components in the car, it's likely perfectly normal and to be expected, and likely can't really be avoided unless some sort of solid state cooling mecahnism was used instead, or maybe a more efficient AC refrigerant that operated at lower pressures.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
The compressor on our Mercedes B EV was even louder (really low vibrating noise too) than the one on our Mach E. As the Mercedes was previously the best AC on a car we ever had I'm willing to put up with some noise (even if it sounds more like a ICE car :eek: when running.)

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Summer pedestrian speaker I call it. You'll forget the other one is making noise at all.

My FFE's fan would kick on in the garage when it got above 80% charge to cool the battery. 120+ degree garage wasn't uncommon for me. Anf the FFE's fan running from 1am to. about 3 am reverbed through the house. After 10 years the FFE was kicked outside. It was a quiet year but the MME is coming in soon. I'm hoping the fan doesn't run much if at all if charged only to 80%.

There would appear some type of added isolation is in my future as the few times the AC kicked on in the MME I could feel it in the steering wheel.
Sponsored