Is everyone's MME this loud when the AC compressor runs?

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Now that its getting warm out, every time I start the MME, the AC Compressor comes on immediately. Its made me realize how loud the thing is. Is everyone's this loud?

A/C Compressor or fans that run the battery cooling system? Whenever it gets close to 90 degrees here it sounds like it's getting ready to take off. Sometimes it asks, (on the dash) to plug it in after a short trip.
Sponsored

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e Black
Country flag
Now that its getting warm out, every time I start the MME, the AC Compressor comes on immediately. Its made me realize how loud the thing is. Is everyone's this loud?

I am in Florida and mine is loud like that. While I am leaving my neighborhood I always turn the air off as it is kind of embarrassing to have a quiet electric car that sounds that loud. Since this is my first EV, I just assumed it was normal.

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Yeah, the compressor on this car is loud and creates a ton of vibration for some reason. I get it is probably a size larger than the Cmax/Fusion Energi and Focus Electric, but those were relatively quiet and low vibration compared to this one. I'm just happy the AC works really well. That was the biggest gripe of the 2018 Model X I used to drive around...CRAP AC.
In regards to a/c compressor vibration, one big difference between the MME and the Cmax or Fusion would be that compressor is not mounted to an engine block. Those engine mounts are pretty darn effective at keeping vibration out of the body structure!

atlz_best

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT
Country flag
Based on the responses here, i wouldn't be surprised for a recall coming pretty soon for this MME's compressor.

no compressor should be this loud - unless its about to die

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
We always turn AC off before shutting car down (old school habit designed to reduce load/usage on battery).
When we turn on AC it is initially loud, but only temporarily.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Pretty much like my fusion hybrid, it's like the only thing outside the car that you hear when you first start it in the heat and then it slows down once the car cools off. Almost the same kind of buzzing electric motor sound too.

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
My compressor made so much noise when I did a remote start in our driveway that at first I thought I needed to take it to the dealership until I read this (and another) thread. On the plus side, setting the AC to come on at 72 seems to make it somewhat quieter and it also doesn't seem as loud in a parking lot with other noises as opposed to the quiet of my driveway. But I've had other EVs where I would turn on the AC remotely and they were probably half as loud.

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
My compressor made so much noise when I did a remote start in our driveway that at first I thought I needed to take it to the dealership until I read this (and another) thread. On the plus side, setting the AC to come on at 72 seems to make it somewhat quieter and it also doesn't seem as loud in a parking lot with other noises as opposed to the quiet of my driveway. But I've had other EVs where I would turn on the AC remotely and they were probably half as loud.
I believe there is a remote start setting in the touch screen that allows one to set the climate control to either "use last settings" or "auto". The "use last settings" should apply whatever settings were there the last time the vehicle was turned off. But "auto" will go to max a/c when the ambient temperature is high.

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
i can hear the Tesla next door when, before leaving, he parks it outside. It’s pretty loud also.
but I have to say when driving three different MMEs I never heard anything that loud, and that’s with air on.

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
I believe there is a remote start setting in the touch screen that allows one to set the climate control to either "use last settings" or "auto". The "use last settings" should apply whatever settings were there the last time the vehicle was turned off. But "auto" will go to max a/c when the ambient temperature is high.
Hmm, I thought the auto setting would cool to 72 degrees, which is generally a bit higher than I normally set the AC during the summer, so I thought that would actually be quieter. But maybe I'm mis-understanding how this works.

iankellogg

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES 300h, Red Mach E XR AWD
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
the one we test drove was nearly silent and when we picked up the one we ordered it sounded like the one in the video. lots of vibration inside the cabin when it first turns on which wasn't the case with the test drive unit. Might be something with the build dates?

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
Mine was built in November 2020, and sounds identical to OP's on a fresh start

ojm76

First Name
Orlando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach e
Occupation
Podcast Producer
Country flag
I noticed ours sounded like that when we used the “AUTO” setting on the AC.
Sponsored