Is Ford accepting more than 50,000 mach-e orders for the 2021 model year?

SONEWBE

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This has been touched on in several other posts, but I have not read any definitive discussion of orders vs the 50,000 battery limit for model year 2021. Does anyone know if Ford has accepted more than 50,000 firm orders, not reservations, for the mach-e? Ford is going to have a big PR problem if they push many of the firm orders to model year 2022. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
This has been touched on in several other posts, but I have not read any definitive discussion of orders vs the 50,000 battery limit for model year 2021. Does anyone know if Ford has accepted more than 50,000 firm orders, not reservations, for the mach-e? Ford is going to have a big PR problem if they push many of the firm orders to model year 2022. Any thoughts?
To my knowledge, there is zero official information from Ford that addresses the number of reservations or orders placed. I think everything discussed to date is based on unofficial information or speculation. The closest thing to official from Ford on this was when they declared the First Edition "Sold Out" back in November (but that turned out to apparently not be accurate since they recently were actively seeking new orders through their "Mach Drop" social media campaigns). So, the real answer is that Ford has not said.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
My Feb 26 GT order was in the number 40,000's already. Does that mean on 2/26 already 40,000 reservations? I would think there were more than 10k more since then.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
The closest thing to official from Ford on this was when they declared the First Edition "Sold Out" back in November (but that turned out to apparently not be accurate since they recently were actively seeking new orders through their "Mach Drop" social media campaigns). So, the real answer is that Ford has not said.
My guess is that was true then, but with Covid many people dropped their orders. My dealer said there were quite a few that didn't convert.

It's interesting because Bronco had the advantage that their reservations were taken after Covid hit the world so the reservers weren't blindsided by this.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
That is probably projected. With covid, it could be other vehicles are not meeting their expected sales and maybe they will be able to divert capacity to Ford. By the end of 2021, it will be almost 2 years later, and although probably not off by an order of magnitude, a lot can change over a couple of years that lets them exceed that estimate.

Either way, I highly doubt Ford will reach 50,000 confirmed orders prior to availability of dealer test drive units...

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
To my knowledge, there is zero official information from Ford that addresses the number of reservations or orders placed. I think everything discussed to date is based on unofficial information or speculation. The closest thing to official from Ford on this was when they declared the First Edition "Sold Out" back in November (but that turned out to apparently not be accurate since they recently were actively seeking new orders through their "Mach Drop" social media campaigns). So, the real answer is that Ford has not said.
Official, no. But we do have these two reports from today that sound awfully definitive:

By the way announced today the Ford Mache for next year is sold out. Want an amazing fact on top of that? 2022 is already half sold out not counting the gt orders changing from reservations to real orders. IF you are looking to get a Mache and keep putting it off. You might not get one.
there is no link. It is straight out of Dearborn. Bank on it 100%. Ford can only get 50,000 batteries for this year and that is max the plant can produce. Not going to launch a C crew. All came down the pipe today.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
My Feb 26 GT order was in the number 40,000's already. Does that mean on 2/26 already 40,000 reservations? I would think there were more than 10k more since then.
To rehash something discussed ad nauseam around here: reservations are not exactly sequential, we are confident there are gaps in the reservation numbers issued, and many have been cancelled. So a 40,000 reservation number never meant there were really over 40,000 reservations and there certainly aren't any longer. The highest reservation numbers right before the order system opened was over 80,000.

There are lots of guesses on what the real numbers are on both reservations and orders but they are just our guesses.
Sponsored