Is Ford now doing HVBJB replacement for cars that have not failed?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
This is the same recall notice they sent to everyone. It doesn’t describe the “fix”, but it’s just a software update.
While I agree with you 100% that the software update is not a fix, the NHTSA official document claims that the SOBDMC module is indeed a fix to “prevent damage to the contactor”…
Ford Mustang Mach-E Is Ford now doing HVBJB replacement for cars that have not failed? 2A92E212-4A04-417C-A035-E02D9618D44C
Sponsored

Say Watt

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE (Bought back), 2022 Kia EV6 GT-L, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Retired Electronics
Country flag
I just got my car back last week - after six weeks waiting - for the HVBJB replacement. That recall is for software to tell you "the end is near" and get to the dealer asap. Slowly or by tow truck. I got the same notice today. That recall update was supposed to be done in July but it didn't get registered with Ford. Which is why I got the notice.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
This is the same recall notice they sent to everyone. It doesn’t describe the “fix”, but it’s just a software update.

I would encourage you to get the software update.... which is designed to catch the HVBJB failure 'early', throw diagnostic codes, put up a warning to 'Service Vehicle Soon' and clamp down your max output power (to 125kw), to give you time to get to a Dealer without 'Stop Safely Now'.

I allowed the 'Recall' software update OTA, got the SVS message a couple weeks later, Dealership pulled codes indicating HVBJB replacement was needed, ordered part via the COPIS process, and I drove with the SVS for a couple hundred miles until the part came in about 5 days later. Dealer scheduled and did the replacement (their first one, so they took 2 days), and I am driving stress free now.

mjschillingtec

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT Grabber Blue; BMW 328i Convertible
Occupation
Business
Country flag
I just got a recall notice from Ford to bring my vehicle in immediately for replacement of the HVBJB. I called my dealer's service dept, but the woman didn't know what I was talking about. She transferred me, but I got voicemail. I searched the forum to see if the status has changed. Last I knew, Ford was only replacing them if the car had a SVS code.
good question though. I got the same notice and felt the same way. I had the software fix done but it did not get registered with FoMoCo because it was part of another software update the deal did.

titan2220

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E AWD SR
Country flag
I suspect there is a small number of vehicles that this recall was attempted to download via OTA but for some reason failed, or got stuck. I got the same recall letter - and I got a notification that I had the same recall successfully installed via OTA. I have not received another OTA update since.

Hopefully getting this done at the dealer will unstick things...

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No OTA for the recall as of now. Decided to just take it to the dealer. Earliest service appointment is March 13th! Well it will be a race to see which comes first - OTA or Service Appointment or HVBJB failure.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
While I agree with you 100% that the software update is not a fix, the NHTSA official document claims that the SOBDMC module is indeed a fix to “prevent damage to the contactor”…
2A92E212-4A04-417C-A035-E02D9618D44C.jpeg
Couldn't it be ascertained that the BECM update, which monitors resistance, would identify a contactor that had previously been overheated and shows increases resistance even though it's not yet welded?

As I read that, I would believe it could be considered a fix if had always been in place...where the SOBDMC would have prevented it from ever getting too hot.....but because it is installed on used vehicles, the damage may have already occurred and it will eventually be identified as the resistance builds over time.

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
Does OTA 3.6.2 install the recall software?
Yes, by virtue of all the same modules being rev'd. New builds include previous upgrades.

3.6.2 may have been paused however.

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I received the same notice also. Totally different wording, such as “safety recall repairs” urging us to get the free repair performed”, and “loss of motive power could cause a crash”. These words were not used in the first recall order.

I received this 3 weeks after my original recall update. 🙄boy, the dealerships must be going nuts with these phone calls. Of course I will call…

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Couldn't it be ascertained that the BECM update, which monitors resistance, would identify a contactor that had previously been overheated and shows increases resistance even though it's not yet welded?

As I read that, I would believe it could be considered a fix if had always been in place...where the SOBDMC would have prevented it from ever getting too hot.....but because it is installed on used vehicles, the damage may have already occurred and it will eventually be identified as the resistance builds over time.
Yes - that is the purpose of the recall software.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag

I’m not going to try to interpret what it means because I don’t think that 100% of the failures can be prevented by software, even if the software had always been in place. If they could be, there’d have been no reason to introduce an updated HVBJB.
And I think you’re correct, a compromised contactor is going to fail at some point.
Sponsored