Is it ok to leave the car on when leaving it for a bit?

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
Let's say you're getting out of the car just to drop something off at the post office. Do I have to turn off the car and then leave to lock it while i'm gone for like 5 minutes?

Or can I just leave the car on, exit the vehicle, LOCK the doors so no one goes in, and then go about my 5 minute business and come back.

The reason I'd like to do this is so everything is already on and ready to go since I'm only going to be away for a short time. But I also wanna make sure the car stays locked.

Does anyone do this or think it's ok?
Sponsored

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I do it all the time for my little dogs. If longer than 30 minutes turn off shut down after 30 minutes.

I lock the car by hitting the bottom two buttons on the door.

Frank Katz

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Prius 2016 Crosstrek
Occupation
Ret'd
Country flag
That alternative way of locking the car is great. I like the beep in the supermarket parking lot. I don't like it in my garage. Nice to have the alternative.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Let's say you're getting out of the car just to drop something off at the post office. Do I have to turn off the car and then leave to lock it while i'm gone for like 5 minutes?

Or can I just leave the car on, exit the vehicle, LOCK the doors so no one goes in, and then go about my 5 minute business and come back.

The reason I'd like to do this is so everything is already on and ready to go since I'm only going to be away for a short time. But I also wanna make sure the car stays locked.

Does anyone do this or think it's ok?
I do it all the time during the summer because it keeps the cabin cool. Will be especially helpful now that I don't have remote start on my key fob.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
When I have the dog in the car during the summer, I turn off the car then do the "preconditioning" to keep the car cool.
Sponsored