Is it OK to run the charging cable under the car while charging?

Kitten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach E GT with pano roof
Country flag
I like to back my car into the garage, however that puts my charge port on the wrong side of the wall-mounted charger. The cord is long enough to reach the port, but I'm wary to have it laying across the hood and possibly scratching that gorgeous blue paint. Is it ok to run it under the front of the car? Or would that be too close to the battery and maybe cause an issue?
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Fine.

OP
OP

Kitten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach E GT with pano roof
Country flag
Thanks for the quick replies

OWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium Extended Range AWD
Country flag
I like to back my car into the garage, however that puts my charge port on the wrong side of the wall-mounted charger. The cord is long enough to reach the port, but I'm wary to have it laying across the hood and possibly scratching that gorgeous blue paint. Is it ok to run it under the front of the car? Or would that be too close to the battery and maybe cause an issue?
I am considering these: Amazon.com: CXRCY Cable Ramp 3 Pack 2 Channel 11000lbs axle Capacity Floor Cord Cable Protector, Black & Yellow Speed Bumps Hose Protector Ramps for Wire/Hose/Pipe Hider Driveway &Outdoor 40x10x2 inch(L x W x H) : Electronics

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Car cannot be driven when plugged in., so no danger of running over cord.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I recently changed my garage setup and now I don’t have to back in to charge. The plug is on the wrong side but the cord will reach over the car. I hang it on the side mirror and then across the windshield. Not much paint contact, if any. Charging that way right now - 56% and counting.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
fine to run it under, but you might not want to drive over the cord unless you protect it. There are cheap 'cord protecters' at places like officemax that work pretty well.

or... park head-in on the days you charge. I usually don't charge until I.m at 50%, or I know I have a long day coming up.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
One of our fellow forum users suspended his cord over his car and had some sort of mounting system to prevent walking into the "handle" when walking between cars in his garage. Definitely do not repeatedly drive over the cable. It will not last. ??

krazieboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
celing mount it with a retractiable solution, such as air tool balancer.