Is it safe to install a pre-owned home charger?

Mini166

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. RWD/SR,Lexus RX350, Dodge Ram Eco-Diesel
Country flag
I am 99% sure the answer is going to be NO. A family member is offering me their Bosch Pro Max home charger that they used on their 2015 Ford Fusion. Would a newer unit be safer or any more efficient? This one says "Type 3R" - 208-240V, 30A, 60Hz. Forgive my ignorance. Just now starting my charger research!
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Why would the answer be No? That has a J1772 plug on the car end, right? The last time he used it, it didn't explode, correct?

There is very little sophistication in the charger (actually called an EVSE), so you don't need a 2023 model to work with a 2023 car. Like anything else newer ones can have more bells and whistles like wifi and generate consumption reports, but as far as charging the car that Bosch should be fine.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I have an old Siemens dumb EVSE
I used with my 2014 Fusion Energi, so it’s probably the equivalent of yours. No issues using my old EVSE with a newer car. The only reason it wouldn’t be safe is if there were something wrong with it. As long as your family member said it was operable before giving it to you, it’s probably fine. Get your circuit installed by a qualified, licensed electrician and you should be set. 😊🐩

OP
OP

Mini166

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. RWD/SR,Lexus RX350, Dodge Ram Eco-Diesel
Country flag
Why would the answer be No? That has a J1772 plug on the car end, right? The last time he used it, it didn't explode, correct?

There is very little sophistication in the charger (actually called an EVSE), so you don't need a 2023 model to work with a 2023 car. Like anything else newer ones can have more bells and whistles like wifi and generate consumption reports, but as far as charging the car that Bosch should be fine.
The electrical jargon makes my eyes glaze over. I just assumed things progress too quickly, and it would be too good to be true if I didn’t have to purchase something brand new! 😜
Thank you!

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
The electrical jargon makes my eyes glaze over. I just assumed things progress too quickly, and it would be too good to be true if I didn’t have to purchase something brand new! 😜
Thank you!
That's what family is for! You won't get the highest speed of a 48 amp charger but I think most of us de-rate to a lower speed anyways. So unless you have access to state/fed rebates/credits to get a free charger, you're in great shape!

gpgrim

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 4XP, MB E-350, Exp. EB, Subaru XTrek
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
That's what family is for! You won't get the highest speed of a 48 amp charger but I think most of us de-rate to a lower speed anyways. So unless you have access to state/fed rebates/credits to get a free charger, you're in great shape!
Yeah, I'm pretty content with running my Chargepoint HomeFlex at 40 amps (plug) vs the 48 I could get with the hardwire. That 20% never impacted my ability to go from 10 to 90, a rare event unless I've road tripped, on an overnight session, and that was when I was on an EV based TOU that didn't start the session until midnight.

Now that i've switched back to more standard TOU (installed solar), where the not so lower rate starts at 8 pm, I've got clock cycles to spare.

cdiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I'd have no problems installing a used EVSE. I'd inspect the cable first, as that's the most likely part to get damaged... but if there's no significant damage to the insulation and the EVSE works (or, at least, was working when taken out of service)... sure.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I think most of us de-rate to a lower speed anyways.
Just curious - why would someone buy a faster charger yet not use the full speed of the charger? Because of old, insufficient wiring?

I have heard the argument from some that slower is less stressful on the car, but I have not seen compelling data that supports that assertion. Personally I charge at the fastest speed my car allows (48 Amps) all the time, every time. I think most people should do what makes them comfortable, so if it makes you comfortable to charge slower, that works. It makes me more comfortable to have my car at the target charge (90%) as quickly as possible.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Check with your utility company for rebates. Mine gives $500. And there is a 30% federal tax credit.

Buy a JuiceBox 40 for $699. Get $500 back. Get a tax credit of $59.70. Net cost is $139.30 (yesterday it would have been $599 - $500 - $29.70 = $69.30). That might be a reason to buy a state of the intelligent charger with reporting, capable of 33.3% faster charging than the old charger, and a 3 year warranty.

Otherwise, take the old one.

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
Just curious - why would someone buy a faster charger yet not use the full speed of the charger? Because of old, insufficient wiring?
Ya I've seen the threads and I never jumped in because there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer for efficiency and longetivity. So I'm playing it safe and I just don't need it. After incentives the EVSE was basically free anyways so I got a 48 amp charger to future proof for a lightning but I usually charge at work now. Maybe it's old school thinking but it's the same reason I don't super charge my phone all the time. But it's good to know that I can bump it up to 48 if I ever need a quick top up at home (which has only happened once in 5 years for a road trip after work).

Last edited:

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

I have heard the argument from some that slower is less stressful on the car, but I have not seen compelling data that supports that assertion. Personally I charge at the fastest speed my car allows (48 Amps) all the time, every time. I think most people should do what makes them comfortable, so if it makes you comfortable to charge slower, that works. It makes me more comfortable to have my car at the target charge (90%) as quickly as possible.
It just comes down to less heat generated the better. Has been that way for as long as I can remember.

Some other reasons are for lower demand charges or working with solar equipment etc.

My car does not like charging at 48A during the summer. Makes a terrible racket, even overnight.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

Most of our usage is local. As such, the car comes back with 70-80% battery. Our off-peak period starts at 7PM M-F. Most of the time, the car is back at 90% by 9PM, if not before 8PM.

If we were going out in the evening, it would be local, so we'd be fine.

If we're going on a trip, we charge to 100%, and it's usually done before 11PM.

Therefore, we have no need to charge higher than 32amps, but it's a 2 second change in the JuiceBox app to raise it to 48amps, and I've done that maybe twice.

No need to heat things up on the circuit, in the charger, or in the hose / chargeport, so I don't.
Sponsored