Is it strange to get build week rather than build day?

Paul H

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, Mini Cooper S
Country flag
Just got back from the dealer who was very helpful, and got a Vin # and a window sticker. He said that Ford visibility showed a build week of 5/10 but with no day assigned, which he thought was a bit odd. Have people been getting a build day assigned, or just the week?
Sponsored

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I’ve never seen a build date discussed for an order. Everyone talks about assigned build weeks. Although, full disclosure, I didn’t order one, so I have no personal experience with this.

FPLiptak

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A Build Week is assigned and then when the actual build starts the Build Day is noted.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The last two Ford's I have ordered, I have gotten a build week. Both cars took longer than one day to build. The Focus RS took three days from start to finish and the GT500's normally take 4 days but sometimes 5. I have no idea how long it takes to build the Mach-E but they are not specialty cars like the other two were so probably only a day.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The last two Ford's I have ordered, I have gotten a build week. Both cars took longer than one day to build. The Focus RS took three days from start to finish and the GT500's normally take 4 days but sometimes 5. I have no idea how long it takes to build the Mach-E but they are not specialty cars like the other two were so probably only a day.
I used to think that too, but the BODY is built over a day or 2, which I assume includes painting. Then all the components are put in/on it a few days later. In my case the frame was built and painted the day before Christmas shutdown, and then assembled Jan 5/6th.

OP, build week is normal.

Last edited:

balthisar

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Expedition; 2021 Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Engineer@FoMoCo
Country flag
There's not really a "frame" on a unibody vehicle. The VIN is assigned in the body shop, though, usually on the underbody line. This is as close as you can get to a "born on" date that there is. From underbody, there's framing, closures hang, paint shop (which is not "just paint"), and final assembly. Every plant is unique, but it's not unusual for this to take up to a week.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
There's not really a "frame" on a unibody vehicle. The VIN is assigned in the body shop, though, usually on the underbody line. This is as close as you can get to a "born on" date that there is. From underbody, there's framing, closures hang, paint shop (which is not "just paint"), and final assembly. Every plant is unique, but it's not unusual for this to take up to a week.
Yes, I misspoke. I meant "body". I corrected my original post.
Sponsored