Is MME really missing the Tilt-Down Right Hand Mirror when Backing Up to Park at Curb feature?

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Well, between auto parking , parking sensors and parking cameras, what more do you want? A crew of rampers with lights to marshall you into your parking space?
I think you would change your opinion after trying to parallel park on downtown streets with curbs milled from granite. These curbs are uniformly very durable, with their top higher than the average concrete curb, and cut to a geometric "sharp" edge on their outer top. it only takes one encounter, no matter what the car is, to learn an expensive lesson.
Sponsored

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Additionally, with recent experience on other cars with side cameras, I find that our Mach E cameras are, er... "value-engineered".

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I think you would change your opinion after trying to parallel park on downtown streets with curbs milled from granite. These curbs are uniformly very durable, with their top higher than the average concrete curb, and cut to a geometric "sharp" edge on their outer top. it only takes one encounter, no matter what the car is, to learn an expensive lesson.
I understand what you’re saying and I have had to park next to Belgian block curbs. I try to exercise caution, use the parking cameras, and not get TOO close to the curb. I believe someone published a “poor man’s”” tilt-down solution of storing mirrors tilted down in memory preset 3.

Lola2004

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda pilot
Occupation
Travel agent
Country flag
Last 2 cars I owned were early 2000 E46 BMWs, just to illustrate how long ago this feature was already around:
When reversing to park at a curb, the right hand exterior mirror would automatically point down to let me see how close my rims were to the curb, thus avoiding self-inflicted Rim Curb Rash. It would point back up when you were no longer in reverse, also allowing you to look back at a higher elevation if you were doing the back and forth, parking. If I was backing up and I didn't want it to point down, I simply would turn the mirror adjust selector (left or right) to the right hand mirror and it would overrride this and stay upright.

I often park on-street in NYC, I'm totally new to the car (so still getting my spatial bearings) and I totally have missed having this feature every time.
I checked the MME Manual, under Exterior Mirrors, and no mention whatsoever of this.
It's doubtful that this is a somewhat patented feature by BMW, so...
1. Did I miss anything, and can it do it automatically
2. It seems that with everything being software programmable these days, this is something that Ford could add via Update, where do I sign up to request it?? ;)
Unfortunately mme does not have this. We miss it from the Lexus

OP
OP

Kafka

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT PE Nite Pony Vapor Blue
Occupation
Techie
Country flag
I understand what you’re saying and I have had to park next to Belgian block curbs. I try to exercise caution, use the parking cameras, and not get TOO close to the curb. I believe someone published a “poor man’s”” tilt-down solution of storing mirrors tilted down in memory preset 3.
Right. The issue is that in my caution with cameras only, when I think that I'm alI finished parking and get out, I find that I have up to a foot extra from the curb, and that's actually a fineable parking offense and also leaves me sticking out unnecessarily to the traffic lane.

I'll do button 3 for now, but programming it doesn't hurt since I actually have to choose a mirror for it to engage once programmed.

OP
OP

Kafka

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT PE Nite Pony Vapor Blue
Occupation
Techie
Country flag
This.
Posters giving me crap because they either don't deal with these curbs (in NYC, they have a metal lip on the curb, the nicer to slice on the rims, and they can be from only a couple inches high to over a foot) or they feel that they can handle it with the other aids or even unaided.

To each their own 😉

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
This.
Posters giving me crap because they either don't deal with these curbs (in NYC, they have a metal lip on the curb, the nicer to slice on the rims, and they can be from only a couple inches high to over a foot) or they feel that they can handle it with the other aids or even unaided.

To each their own 😉
I get it and I sympathize. I’ve seen curbs like that and totally get that any aids that avoid curb rash that the OP is comfortable with are good. It is a shame that either auto park isn’t faster or that the parking cameras aren’t more precise at showing what’s going on at the wheels.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Unfortunately mme does not have this. We miss it from the Lexus
We can turn it on via ForScan. Look in the How To - DIY threads for the instructions.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I've never heard of this feature, and I can't figure how software would add the ability to rotate a mirror.

My Premium has 360 cameras that I use when parking and I can see front, rear, and sides to make sure I am aligned with everything.
Yes, all my previous cars have had this for 20+ years.... and I miss it. the surround cameras are not the same especially when wet... as they are for 6 months in Portland...

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I get it and I sympathize. I’ve seen curbs like that and totally get that any aids that avoid curb rash that the OP is comfortable with are good. It is a shame that either auto park isn’t faster or that the parking cameras aren’t more precise at showing what’s going on at the wheels.
It's actually more of a shame that a free to implement feature that actual luxury cars have is not here.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It's actually more of a shame that a free to implement feature that actual luxury cars have is not here.
I think there’s lots of things buried in the vehicle that aren’t made visible to the owner. Who knows how or why those decisions are made 🤷‍♂️

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
I hate this feature on my wife’s Mini. Makes backing into the garage to charge her car a real pain. And since I am backing next to my MME, anxious.

Jimbo

First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium 4X
Country flag
Had many cars with this feature beginning from my 2002 Acura MDX, always turn it off almost immediately. Properly adjusted mirrors works way better. I park my MME in very tight space with no problems
1D936218-5973-46DF-A72E-BDBA1DA6815E.jpeg
Your chair and benchtops look a bit higher than the average curb, so makes sense that you wouldn't want tilt on reverse in this scenario, plus they actually show up well on the 360 view. My situation's similar.

Doesn't mean it wouldn't be a nice in-menu option for others (or heck, maybe even an auto on-off depending on if the side radars see a nearby object, i.e. a not-a-curb)