Is parking in the sun at work without ability to plug in a problem?

StillWaitingForMachE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 IBSM ER AWD California Rt 1 MME (Mike-E)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
As the title says, there is no charging infrastructure at my workplace, and my car is usually not parked in any form of shade. I live in Northern Indiana, so not exactly desert, but it can be high 90s at times during the summer. Luckily I'm parking on gravel near a drainage ditch, so it's probably not as hot as it could be, but it will still probably get a bit toasty at times.

Is this something to worry about when I (someday soon I hope...) get my Mach E? There's not really anything I can do to change the situation.
Sponsored

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Sierra, MME Premium
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag
No? But remote starting to let the fan blow for a minute as well as cool off the interior would help

OP
OP
StillWaitingForMachE

StillWaitingForMachE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
No? But remote starting to let the fan blow for a minute as well as cool off the interior would help
I had read things about how the car getting too hot it can degrade the battery or cause other problems and I don't want to ruin the nicest car I've ever purchased, but also I don't want to avoid driving it to work just because I don't have a canopy to park under or employer-provided charging.

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Sierra, MME Premium
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag
Will it degrade the battery faster? Yeah sure, but that depends on way more factors. The battery sitting in the heat with minimal draw will not degrade it very much. Someone did the math around here and I feel like it was 1% per year based on temperature alone.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
It's fine. Just enjoy your car

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Ordeal? 50.4 weeks...

OP
OP
StillWaitingForMachE

StillWaitingForMachE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Ordeal? 50.4 weeks...
Oof that's pretty bad. I still stand by my wait being an ordeal though. Especially when Ford keeps getting my hopes up that it will finally be delivered any day now, only to dash them shortly after.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
As the title says, there is no charging infrastructure at my workplace, and my car is usually not parked in any form of shade. I live in Northern Indiana, so not exactly desert, but it can be high 90s at times during the summer. Luckily I'm parking on gravel near a drainage ditch, so it's probably not as hot as it could be, but it will still probably get a bit toasty at times.

Is this something to worry about when I (someday soon I hope...) get my Mach E? There's not really anything I can do to change the situation.
should not be a problem.... but you might want to put a sunshade on the windshield to prevent the sun from baking your center console computer. The back sticks up, and is black; It can hit 140+F degrees if the sun it hitting it, which has been a problem for the display chips.

I'd suggest 'remote start' 10 minutes before you leave in the afternoon to cool the cabin and battery.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I'm in your situation, Matt, except I do live in a desert.

Massive parking lot. No trees, etc. Phoenix, the valley ON the sun. It's fine.

I do wish Ford actively managed the electronics/battery temps while parked in that situation. Unfortunately, they do not. But I won't be micromanaging it myself, either. And it's been fine.

I suggest getting a window shield for the front windshield.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
In Indiana? Don't worry about it.

frontrunner

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Premium AWD
Country flag
it's only a problem if you're leaving your pet in the car

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
In Indiana? Don't worry about it.
Yah, don't worry about it.

I live in a much hotter desert southwestern US where 100+ is common and my wife's PHEV has not suffered a bit parked under the hot sun during the day on black asphalt.

We don't get winters here so no range loss when winter months arrive which makes driving an EV such a breeze.

My Lightning is also parked outside 90% of the time and I have free charging at work which helps reduce my home electricity bill.

Now waiting for my wife's 2022 MME to get started....

Ford has probably tested these EVs under more strenuous conditions...
Ford Mustang Mach-E Is parking in the sun at work without ability to plug in a problem? 2022Lightnin

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Youā€™re okay. If it asks you to plug in because of high temperatures, itā€™s doing so in order to not deplete your battery a very little bit to run the cooling fans. Unless your HVB is really, really low, the HVB will keep the 12v charged, and the 12v is what drives the fans. Underā€¦15% (if I remember correctly), the HVB wonā€™t charge the 12v, but as long as youā€™re not parking on the electron equivalent of fumes, youā€™re fine. I canā€™t imagine on a hot day even that it would use more than 1%.

Heck, to download an update when I didnā€™t have time to drive it, I left it fully on and running with the AC going for over an hour, and it didnā€™t even tick down from the percentage where I started.
Sponsored