Is personal preference the main reason to use one-pedal driving (1PD)? Could stopping distance be a reason?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
If you mean regen the same amount going downhill as it took to go up , that would be impossible.

*same*.... minus rolling/air resistance
Sponsored

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
main reason for 1-p is to recapture braking energy to extend range when possible, as much as possible. A little practice, and you'll find you virtually never touch the brake pedal except for the unexpected 'event'.
That’s not so clear, since applying the brakes via the brake pedal mostly slows via the motor and therefore also is regenerative. Those who have looked into this in greater detail have concluded that mode of braking has little impact on the recapture of energy.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Well OK then.
I have it all wrong.
My experience with 1PD off is that I use the hydraulic brakes to come to a complete stop.
With 1PD on only rarely do I have to use the hydraulic brakes to stop. Granted, when using 1PD the hydraulic brakes engage after using regenerative braking (1PD) to come to a complete stop.
I was misled believing that "using the single-pedal control strategy for electric vehicles can effectively improve the energy recovery rate and extend the driving range under the premise of ensuring safety while braking." And 1PD will "further enhance energy efficiency." Which would translate to saving more wear and tear on brakes as well. I thought 1PD on used the hydraulic brakes less than 1PD off.
The comparison was to other EVs returning more energy (60-80%) vs. the MME (only about 10-20%) over the same route. I have yet to figure out why (11kWh of non-accessible battery was a possible reason).
When the Bolt is charged to 100% there is no regeneration until the battery is depleted enough to accept the energy. At 90% charge the regeneration occurs immediately with 1PD.
The MME regenerates immediately at "100%" charge, 1PD.
Either way, I still am a fan of 1PD.
Try this then try that. Like it. Do it. It is your thing. Enjoy the ride.
Oh well. I probably will continue driving as I wish until I refigure all of this out.
Have fun in your MME.

Last edited:

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
a quote:
"The highest rates of return are achieved when drivers slow down well in advance, while those who storm up to a stop and slam on the brakes at the last moment see the least amount of efficiency, especially since they’re depending heavily on the vehicle’s conventional brakes. It really is necessary to adjust your driving in an electrified vehicle if you’re going to get the most out of it.'

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That’s not so clear, since applying the brakes via the brake pedal mostly slows via the motor and therefore also is regenerative. Those who have looked into this in greater detail have concluded that mode of braking has little impact on the recapture of energy.
There were some discussions in early car brake problems where we might have concluded that one pedal was the best conclusion for saving wear on the brakes. Two weeks later there were claims that one pedal driving could be bad for the brakes due to rust and dust forming on the pads from not using the brakes.so what gives here?

my conclusion based on moderation in all things?was to occasionally alternate between one pedal and standard braking, therefore less wear on the brakes over time, considering the lack of real-time facts on the regen issue. I prefer my own braking and less lurching, lol.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
ABSOLUTELY.
cannot let those brakes rust away in margaritaville

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

....nnnnnoooooo. Hydraulic brakes dissipate energy as heat as a result of friction between rotors and pads while 1-P braking is by definition 'regenerative braking' which reverses polarity in the motor to essentially change it to a generator. The work done is *mostly* regenerative, since the motor is a fairly efficient generator.

In unbridled mode, slowing from highway speed, 1-p regens up to 80 kW of energy right back into the batteries from the current readings I saw in the CarScanner app.

at low speed/rpm, the regenerative braking is not as effective/efficient, and the MME blends in the mechanical brakes to come to a stop, and hold, if you have 'auto-hold' setting on.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
There were some discussions in early car brake problems where we might have concluded that one pedal was the best conclusion for saving wear on the brakes. Two weeks later there were claims that one pedal driving could be bad for the brakes due to rust and dust forming on the pads from not using the brakes.so what gives here?

my conclusion based on moderation in all things?was to occasionally alternate between one pedal and standard braking, therefore less wear on the brakes over time, considering the lack of real-time facts on the regen issue. I prefer my own braking and less lurching, lol.

1-p mode automatically blends in mechanical brakes at low speed, especially if you turn on auto-hold. The discs/pads get just enough use to rub the rust off even if you never actually touch the brake pedal.

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
....nnnnnoooooo. Hydraulic brakes dissipate energy as heat as a result of friction between rotors and pads while 1-P braking is by definition 'regenerative braking' which reverses polarity in the motor to essentially change it to a generator. The work done is *mostly* regenerative, since the motor is a fairly efficient generator.

In unbridled mode, slowing from highway speed, 1-p regens up to 80 kW of energy right back into the batteries from the current readings I saw in the CarScanner app.

at low speed/rpm, the regenerative braking is not as effective/efficient, and the MME blends in the mechanical brakes to come to a stop, and hold, if you have 'auto-hold' setting on.
We may be saying the same thing. When I said folks had concluded that "mode of braking has little impact on the recapture of energy" I wasn't referring to friction brakes vs 1PD, I meant 1PD where you brake by slowly coming off the accelerator, vs 2PD where you take your foot off the accelerator and gradually depress the brake pedal (comparing the same level of deceleration in each case). Since application of the brake pedal (except in very rapid braking) also uses the motor for slowing, it is regenerative. Or are you disagreeing with the findings of others who I thought compared the two in terms of extent of regeneration and found them to be similar?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
We may be saying the same thing. When I said folks had concluded that "mode of braking has little impact on the recapture of energy" I wasn't referring to friction brakes vs 1PD, I meant 1PD where you brake by slowly coming off the accelerator, vs 2PD where you take your foot off the accelerator and gradually depress the brake pedal (comparing the same level of deceleration in each case). Since application of the brake pedal (except in very rapid braking) also uses the motor for slowing, it is regenerative. Or are you disagreeing with the findings of others who I thought compared the two in terms of extent of regeneration and found them to be similar?

as long as you are using 1-p, the 'braking energy' is recaptured, minus some inverter/motor efficiency losses. A lower rate for a longer period of time with a gradual slowing is the same as 'full regen' from accellerator at 0% approaching a light. Full regen may actually be better as there would be less time a very low speeds where regen doesn't work efficiently. My view is that it is a great goal and a good challenge to time your foot off the accelerator such that regen brings you to a stop right at the stop light. Second best technique is to slow way before a redlight so it turns green before you get there; but that's only realistic if there isn't much traffic behind you.

you can verify the current being returned to batteries via ODB2 if you have a CarScanner App on your phone.

It is unfortunate that the Instrument display does not show actual kW output/regen 'live' as a gauge along with actual kWhr remaining in addition to %

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
as long as you are using 1-p, the 'braking energy' is recaptured, minus some inverter/motor efficiency losses.
Not sure what you mean by "as long as you are using..." Do you mean while you are using 1PD you recapture braking energy, or that it is only one way to do so? The latter does not appear to be the case given the way braking with the brake pedal works.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Not sure what you mean by "as long as you are using..." Do you mean while you are using 1PD you recapture braking energy, or that it is only one way to do so? The latter does not appear to be the case given the way braking with the brake pedal works.
??? I am not going to argue over semantics or grammer ....

I will say that I choose to use 1-p mode unbridled to obtain the MOST regenerative braking possible. I find that with a little practice approaching stops and turns I rarely have to touch the mechanical brake pedal under normal circumstances.

When driving 'more aggressively', coming into corners fast, the 1-p regen helps and reduces the foot pressure needed on brake pedal.... and it takes some practice to not OVER brake!

Last edited:

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Tesla Model 3 Perf, '22 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
My wife and I are ordering a Mach E GT this coming weekend. I drive a 2018 Tesla Model 3, and I drive with one pedal driving all the time. In the Tesla, when I press the brake pedal, it is not blended. If I take my foot off the accelerator, then I am definitively slowing down all due to regenerative braking. If I apply my foot on the brake pedal at all, then I am using friction brakes.

My question, when driving the Mach E, how do you know when you are using the friction, hydraulic brakes? I want to use regenerative braking as much as possible to extend the life of the brake pads. Is there a display or graph that shows you how much of the friction brakes you are using? Any other tips to avoid using the friction brakes as much as possible?

Thank you!

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
My wife and I are ordering a Mach E GT this coming weekend. I drive a 2018 Tesla Model 3, and I drive with one pedal driving all the time. In the Tesla, when I press the brake pedal, it is not blended. If I take my foot off the accelerator, then I am definitively slowing down all due to regenerative braking. If I apply my foot on the brake pedal at all, then I am using friction brakes.

My question, when driving the Mach E, how do you know when you are using the friction, hydraulic brakes? I want to use regenerative braking as much as possible to extend the life of the brake pads. Is there a display or graph that shows you how much of the friction brakes you are using? Any other tips to avoid using the friction brakes as much as possible?

Thank you!

use 1-p mode, 'unbridled', to obtain maximum regen.... and leave on the 'auto-hold' setting which will automatically blend in the mechanical pads to come to a stop. saves on brake pads and recaptures the most energy.

Unfortunately, there is no DISPLAY of the output or regen power on screen.
Sponsored