Is the factory window tint anti-IR/carbon/ceramic?

astronut325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium, Toyota Camry, Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software analyst
Country flag
Hello,

Anyone know if the factory tint on the Mach-E Premium are anti-IR or carbon/ceramic tints? I see that the rear windows are already tinted, and it looks like the front windows have a 70% tint. I'm curious if they're the anti-heat/IR type made from carbon or ceramic. I checked with Ford.com chat too and no info from them.

Is it worth it to get the carbon tints? I live in Los Angeles where it's a drought and hot, sunny conditions 11 out of the 12 months. However, if the tints already on the Mach-E are carbon/ceramic, getting another tint seems counterproductive.

Any and all advice is appreciated.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
If they are anti-IR, why does the term "carbon" or "ceramic" matter. Isn't that just BS marketing hype?

dmitry

First Name
dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
From my experience under California sun front windows have no heat protection or very small. About windshield I don’t know exactly. I compared my Kia which has 3m crystalline tint on windshield with my GT with no tint and found no big difference. I suspect GT windshield already have heat protection from the factory. Also I found out that with time kia windshield staying on the sun become more heated. I read some reviews and there’s a theory that new cars already has heat protection and aftermarket tinting like 3m crystalline is unnecessary upgrade and even can cause windshield overheating and cracking. I planning to remove tint from Kia windshield and will keep on front windows. On front windows 3m crystalline works perfectly.

Last edited:

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Hello,

Anyone know if the factory tint on the Mach-E Premium are anti-IR or carbon/ceramic tints? I see that the rear windows are already tinted, and it looks like the front windows have a 70% tint. I'm curious if they're the anti-heat/IR type made from carbon or ceramic. I checked with Ford.com chat too and no info from them.

Is it worth it to get the carbon tints? I live in Los Angeles where it's a drought and hot, sunny conditions 11 out of the 12 months. However, if the tints already on the Mach-E are carbon/ceramic, getting another tint seems counterproductive.

Any and all advice is appreciated.
I don't recall hearing of anyone that felt they needed additional tint to control the heat in the car. Folks in places much hotter than LA (e.g., Phoenix) have been happy without additional tint, including no additional tint on the pano roof. There are a few who have added a removable solar shade to the underside of the roof, but I think the consensus is that it isn't really needed... (That said, I do recall one or two saying that the roof shade made a big difference for them. (Since I live in foggy SF my experience is hardly determinative, but I certainly doesn't feel the need for more tinting - though I wouldn't mind less visibility into the front seats.)

New2EV

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Charger, Explorer, Chevelle, Mach E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
There's definitely some heat blocking on the windshield and pano. Here in sunny Florida, my car doesn't get over about 105 or 110 sitting in the summer sun. I tinted just the front side windows and have been happy with just that. I had a rental car a few weeks ago and it surprised me how hot the interior was....guess the MME has made me forget.

OP
OP
astronut325

astronut325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium, Toyota Camry, Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software analyst
Country flag
If they are anti-IR, why does the term "carbon" or "ceramic" matter. Isn't that just BS marketing hype?
Good point. I don't really care about the terms "carbon" or "ceramic." I just want reduced heat. I'm just trying to find out if the tints already installed reduce heat, and if it's worth "upgrading" to 3M or some other tint that provides heat rejection.

Based on what I'm seeing thus far, it doesn't seem like the Mach-E needs any additional tint, with the exception of the front driver/passenger windows.

SirLamerok

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT PE Cyber Orange
Country flag
One of the deciding factor in my MME purchase was the car definitely was cooler in the sun then the Tesla I test drove. After several 100 degree plus days driving I feel no additional tint is needed.

krazieboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
Front windshield has IR and so does the Pano. Nothing on the sides.
Sponsored