Is the Ford Connected Charge Station this Lame?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I have to say, all the platitudes heaped upon the FCCS makes me worry about the Ford-branded Pro Charger that will come with the Lightning.
Sponsored

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
TBH, I haven't really had problems with the FCCS per se, other than the unexplained data gap from mid-September 2021 through mid-December 2021. It's sluggish in reporting charging results (sometimes, they don't update for a day or two). The so-called "Charge Logs" on the Vehicle tab in FordPass is pretty much useless. There's no record of how much energy is transferred into the vehicle, just a "percent charge", whatever that might be. And one time, I had "Total charge added: 2% Est. distance added: -2 MI" Really? I add energy to the car and get less distance? That's ... Amusing :D I wonder how much energy I'd have to add to drive the total distance added to an amount that makes the range zero?:D:D:D

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
And I cannot believe this, today, after typing this post, trying to just keep the battery warm, this AM, I get a fault and look at this power draw, 70 amps! Karma is great. Something is wrong for sure. I have to say this may be a true piece of crap,,,,

I bet, being set up for only 24 amps, the car tried to pull 32 to keep the battery warm.

5C02D10B-760A-4479-B5C6-8AB2C848F7E2.png

A4C4A4C1-2CE8-455E-A580-F3326046DFE3.png

9E0BE596-F8D3-4536-AECD-8F18B31D76B1.png
I must be missing something - where are you seeing the 70A draw on the screenshots you posted? To the best of my knowledge, the maximum current draw you can set the FCCS to is 48A (80% of 60A).

OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I must be missing something - where are you seeing the 70A draw on the screenshots you posted? To the best of my knowledge, the maximum current draw you can set the FCCS to is 48A (80% of 60A).
I am sure it is incorrect. My station is dip switched to 24 amps and Ford Pass is set to 24amps. So thats 24*240=5.76 kW per hour. the chart below is what it reported for that hour when I got the “OMG call Ford warning” and solid red light.. the car was not set to charge, it was battery temp management and the car was enabling battery heating when the error occurred. I reset it and charged the Hyundai yesterday. No issues.

16.899kWh*1000/240v=70.412 amps.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Is the Ford Connected Charge Station this Lame? 1642466933101

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I am sure it is incorrect. My station is dip switched to 24 amps and Ford Pass is set to 24amps. So thats 24*240=5.76 kW per hour. the chart below is what it reported for that hour when I got the “OMG call Ford warning” and solid red light.. the car was not set to charge, it was battery temp management and the car was enabling battery heating when the error occurred. I reset it and charged the Hyundai yesterday. No issues.

16.899kWh*1000/240v=70.412 amps.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Is the Ford Connected Charge Station this Lame? 1642466933101
Oh! I see! But, If we attribute this to crappy metrics reporting by the FCCS and/or FordPass, it’s quite possible that charging could have started before 9:00 AM and ended before 10:00 AM and ford is using some strange rounding or truncation algorithm to “get to the nearest hour” ?‍♂

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
TBH, I haven't really had problems with the FCCS per se, other than the unexplained data gap from mid-September 2021 through mid-December 2021. It's sluggish in reporting charging results (sometimes, they don't update for a day or two). The so-called "Charge Logs" on the Vehicle tab in FordPass is pretty much useless. There's no record of how much energy is transferred into the vehicle, just a "percent charge", whatever that might be. And one time, I had "Total charge added: 2% Est. distance added: -2 MI" Really? I add energy to the car and get less distance? That's ... Amusing :D I wonder how much energy I'd have to add to drive the total distance added to an amount that makes the range zero?:D:D:D
Did you have to do anything to get the data logging working again? Mine stopped about the same time as yours and never recovered.

OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Oh! I see! But, If we attribute this to crappy metrics reporting by the FCCS and/or FordPass, it’s quite possible that charging could have started before 9:00 AM and ended before 10:00 AM and ford is using some strange rounding or truncation algorithm to “get to the nearest hour” ?‍♂
For sure. The car was not charging at that time and not set to charge (50% charge setpoint and battery at 65+%), it would only be a battery heating need due to the extreme cold. I am pretty sure that is what was enabled from the car when the unit tripped.

I would love to hear from anyone who has one set to 24 amps, if they have successfully preconditioned or has battery heating start at those settings. From my 32 Amp ChargePoint Home, those activities pull 30 amps typically. I wonder if that is what tripped my FCCS. Attached is a typical battery precondition load graph. As you can see, it pulls over 6.0 kW.

Unfortunately with the substandard trending and reporting of the FCCS, we will never know. That was kind of my point of the post. If we could only get access to the Webasto App.

292A0B76-F823-4173-83DA-4F09334E330F.jpeg

OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Did you have to do anything to get the data logging working again? Mine stopped about the same time as yours and never recovered.
You can perform a reset and reconfigure with your phone on BT. You will need to install the FCCS setup app and follow the FP instructions. I did not have to do it, a Power down and restart started working again and it charged my Hyundai perfectly and reported the correct KWh. See these attachments to get started. You will need a BT enabled phone near the charger…and your WIFI settings.

263E68E7-74EA-4AF0-9EFB-2D8C1D082F4F.png

8908A8D3-5FA6-4884-B6E4-17A255D62983.png

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Nope. As I reported, mine stopped for a few months then magically started up again in mid-December. Go figure ?‍♂

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
You can perform a reset and reconfigure with your phone on BT. You will need to install the FCCS setup app and follow the FP instructions. I did not have to do it, a Power down and restart started working again and it charged my Hyundai perfectly and reported the correct KWh. See these attachments to get started. You will need a BT enabled phone near the charger…and your WIFI settings.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Is the Ford Connected Charge Station this Lame? 8908A8D3-5FA6-4884-B6E4-17A255D62983

Ford Mustang Mach-E Is the Ford Connected Charge Station this Lame? 8908A8D3-5FA6-4884-B6E4-17A255D62983
Yeah, I did that again yesterday. That’s the third time I’ve gone through procedure since I heard rumors about it working again in December.
At this point, I’m not going to worry about it as long as it charges properly.