Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
thanks for the reminder, I need to test the 14-50 also- the original was throwing an error on the 110.

Yeah, it's been on my to-do list for almost a year. To test it right, I'll need to find a 14-50 outlet. Maybe when it gets warmer outside.
Sponsored

maddoc14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
Currently have a Porsche mobile charger attached to my garage wall from a previous PHEV, using it for my Lincoln Grand Touring. Obviously this has more than enough fire power for my PHEV, but I have a MME on order and I'm thinking about upgrading.

Unfortunately, my previous car only had a 6 KW charger on board, so my electrician only installed a 30A circuit although he used a 6-50 plug that was needed for this charger.

Just to clarify as it was somewhat confusing reading through this thread:
1. The Ford mobile charger plugs into a 14-50 and requires a 50A circuit but only draws a max of 32A.
2. The Ford hardwired charger requires a 60A 240V circuit and draws 48A.

Since I would have to completely replace everything in my wiring either way, I don't think making the changes for a different mobile charger, with only a 50% bump in charging speed, makes sense.

I may consider adding a hardwired charger to the other garage stall, and keeping the current system for my PHEV. The other option would be using the current system for the MME and just using a 120V outlet for the PHEV.

Am I thinking about this correctly?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Yes I think you've understood correctly... The only thing I'd add is that you must not use the 30A circuit with Ford's mobile charger. It doesn't have any way to limit its rate to 24 amps.

The Ford hardwired station (as well as many other options) will work for you, though. It can be configured when it's installed to safely operate on a 30A circuit.

dhoerl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag

maddoc14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes I think you've understood correctly... The only thing I'd add is that you must not use the 30A circuit with Ford's mobile charger. It doesn't have any way to limit its rate to 24 amps.

The Ford hardwired station (as well as many other options) will work for you, though. It can be configured when it's installed to safely operate on a 30A circuit.
I was just thinking about this, thanks for clarifying. Thought the Lincoln and the Mustang changers would be interchangeable. Bottom line is I'll need a completely new circuit no matter what. Glad I asked here before just plugging my old charger into the Mustang!

ETA: now understand that the hardwired can be set for lower amps. Thanks.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
For me it was as simple as this. The 240v install to the garage cost enough that the 30% tax credit + the 30% for the charger itself effectively made it free.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
This is a 5 lb balancer and is one of the more expensive ones. But I want it to last. My contractor friend is supposed to clean up the install but it works for now. You can adjust the height by the tension on the balancer. But this one hangs lower because my wife is...vertically challenged.

Gleason Reel Composite Tool Balancer, 3"W x 4"D, 5 Lb Capacity Black | B250925 - GLOBALindustrial.com

IMG_1568.jpg
that's a good setup, if you have an attic there, you could actually run all that along the ceiling in the attic space. and have just the needed length exposed and hanging.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I was just thinking about this, thanks for clarifying. Thought the Lincoln and the Mustang changers would be interchangeable. Bottom line is I'll need a completely new circuit no matter what. Glad I asked here before just plugging my old charger into the Mustang!

ETA: now understand that the hardwired can be set for lower amps. Thanks.
If your existing EVSE has a limit of 24A or less, then you can continue to use that safely with the Mach-E on your home's 30A circuit. All EVSEs that we use in North America have the same connector on them, except for Tesla's.

You said Porsche branded so in my head I assumed it might be higher amps but I don't know. (Until now, I didn't know Porsche had a plug-in car besides the Taycan.)

BayouEV

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach E Extended Range, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
that's a good setup, if you have an attic there, you could actually run all that along the ceiling in the attic space. and have just the needed length exposed and hanging.
That is the plan. Just waiting on some competent help to make up for my lack thereof.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
That is the plan. Just waiting on some competent help to make up for my lack thereof.
Make sure you're aware of the code restrictions on doing that.

maddoc14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If your existing EVSE has a limit of 24A or less, then you can continue to use that safely with the Mach-E on your home's 30A circuit. All EVSEs that we use in North America have the same connector on them, except for Tesla's.

You said Porsche branded so in my head I assumed it might be higher amps but I don't know. (Until now, I didn't know Porsche had a plug-in car besides the Taycan.)
So, the Porsche charge is “smart” and adjusts flow based on the circuit (or so I am told). However, it’s also used on the Taycan so it I’m sure it can go much higher than the 24A/240V that it is currently pulling. So I guess what determines the flow, the on board charger or the wall charger? I assume the worst that can happen is blowing the circuit?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
So, the Porsche charge is “smart” and adjusts flow based on the circuit (or so I am told). However, it’s also used on the Taycan so it I’m sure it can go much higher than the 24A/240V that it is currently pulling. So I guess what determines the flow, the on board charger or the wall charger? I assume the worst that can happen is blowing the circuit?
Ultimately it's the vehicle that chooses how much current is pulled from the home's electric utility. For the Mustang Mach-E, it's capable of pulling up to 48A and it will do so unless the EVSE informs it of a smaller maximum. There aren't any configuration options in the Mach-E to force this number to be smaller.

The EVSE doesn't do anything to alter the energy flow between wall and car. But, it exists to fulfill a bunch of safety concerns and to provide a common connector.

One of those safety concerns mitigated by the EVSE is that without the EVSE, the vehicle has no way to interrogate the wall circuit to ask it its current rating. So it's super important that your existing Porsche EVSE have a way to told that your wall circuit is rated for 30A (or 24A continuous flow to a vehicle).

Check the manual for the Porsche EVSE and verify that it's limited to 24A for your 30A circuit. If it is, then you're good to go. It will communicate that limit to the Mach-E and the Mach-E will honor the arrangement. If it's fixed at a higher limit than 24A, then you will need to replace the EVSE with one that can match your wall circuit, or replace the wiring in the wall to safely handle higher amperage.

It's definitely not the case that the Porsche EVSE self-configured to 24A... It would have to just coincidentally be its design limit, or would have been configured manually by you or the installer.

Some EVSEs are configured by the pigtail that goes between the brick and the wall... But you said it's a NEMA 14-50 on the wall so that is the wrong connector for a 30A circuit and would "trick" the pigtail into configuring a higher limit than is actually appropriate.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Currently have a Porsche mobile charger attached to my garage wall from a previous PHEV, using it for my Lincoln Grand Touring. Obviously this has more than enough fire power for my PHEV, but I have a MME on order and I'm thinking about upgrading.

Unfortunately, my previous car only had a 6 KW charger on board, so my electrician only installed a 30A circuit although he used a 6-50 plug that was needed for this charger.

Just to clarify as it was somewhat confusing reading through this thread:
1. The Ford mobile charger plugs into a 14-50 and requires a 50A circuit but only draws a max of 32A.
2. The Ford hardwired charger requires a 60A 240V circuit and draws 48A.

Since I would have to completely replace everything in my wiring either way, I don't think making the changes for a different mobile charger, with only a 50% bump in charging speed, makes sense.

I may consider adding a hardwired charger to the other garage stall, and keeping the current system for my PHEV. The other option would be using the current system for the MME and just using a 120V outlet for the PHEV.

Am I thinking about this correctly?
If I were you I would just buy a hardwired charger with adjustable power (like a Juicebox or equivalent) and throttle it down to 24A. You could still probably fully charge each night for your daily usage. I did that for my Tesla model 3 and it was more than enough.

Peugfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Linc MKX, 2021 MME Prem 4EX Infinite Blue
Country flag
I don't have my MME yet, not even a build date :(. I paid an electrician a small fortune to put a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage and run a 4 Gauge wire to my panel and use a 50amp breaker. I wanted to take advantage of the tax credit for the EVSE. Going with the thicker wire, allows me to cheaply upgrade if need be in the future to 60amp service. Went with the Chargepoint home flex because it was highly rated and one of the approved smart models that i can get a partial reimbursement from my power company.
Smart guy you are to future proof your circuit for 60 amps with 4 gauge wire. I was considering that since my wire run was only 20 ft and the additional cost minimal. I went with 6 gauge, 50 amp breaker, and NEMA 14-50R. 40 amps charging is adequate and 4 gauge wire is just too stiff to work with.

maddoc14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I found the Porsche charger manual, and it's not 100% clear to me yet. On the back of the charger, it states that the input is "110-250V 16A" and out put is the same.

On the specs, the rated current is 16A for the 3.6kW on board charger, and 30 A 2-phase for the 7.2 kW. Not sure what that means exactly. I've attached a copy of the electrical specs.

IMG_0509.jpg
Sponsored