Phil-Springs

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E CA RT1 AWD Extended DMG 2022
Country flag
In summary. Tell the electrician to install a 50 amp nema 14-50 outlet. The provided evse is adequate although an after market wall holster for the connector is recommended. After that, if you really need to charge faster … buy a 40 amp esve?

GibUtes

First Name
Gib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
“The Scout Trooper” 2022 Premium Space White
Country flag
For those that purchased an additional EVSE for either the increased speed or the “just in case I need it on the road” factor, did anyone see a huge benefit for skipping the 40A “dumb” unit (like Grizzl-E) and going with a more expensive “smart” unit?

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
For those that purchased an additional EVSE for either the increased speed or the “just in case I need it on the road” factor, did anyone see a huge benefit for skipping the 40A “dumb” unit (like Grizzl-E) and going with a more expensive “smart” unit?
My 5 year old JuiceBox is wifi connected. I can use my ENEL phone app and check any time whether the charging is actually happening, how many miles have been added, and it is programmed TOU in addition to the car being programmed. It also has buttons on it that can override the programmed times and get a daytime charge (I have solar) if I need a boost outside TOU settings. It also gives me a historical record of every charge I have made using it. And it provides a summary of energy used by day, week, month, year. But, then, I am an engineer and geek out on that kind of data for relaxation... Full disclosure, power company paid for the install 5 years ago as part of a pilot project to obtain data on actual usage by an EV owner (I had a CMAX Energi at the time).

Holy Driver

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E RWD SR
Occupation
IT
Country flag
In Germany our power outlets have 1 phase with 16A what results in theoretically 3,7kWh.
It would take about 18 hours to charge my car from 0 to 100%.
Ok, the car isn't discharged to 0% and you won't charge every day to 100%, so the time is a bit less than 18 hours.
But it's also not recommended to use a normal power outlet with full power more than one hour.
The power outlet could get too hot.

BayouEV

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach E Extended Range, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
In preparation for my Mach-E's arrival, I had a 240 volt/50 amp circuit installed. Originally, I intended on using the provided unit. It worked well. I found, though, that I had problems plugging and unplugging the proper supply plug in and out each time I used it. Nor, did I like having the output cable laying on the floor during charging. In my crowded garage, it was a tripping hazard.
I purchased a ChargifyEV 40 amp unit. It is a basic unit without the fancy Wi-Fi stuff. It has a 3 foot long input cable. I needed the length because of all the stuff hanging on the garage wall. It would have been a lot of work to move thing around. The cable storage bracket is also high for the same reason. I draped the output cable over a handy roof beam. It hangs down along side the car, out of the way, when I use it. Keep in mind that in my part of Indiana, we do not have lower electrical rates at night, nor any kind of incentives to buy EVs.
We ran our cord along the ceiling as well. We added a tool balancer to pull the handle up out of the way when not in use. Not sure if this would be useful in your case, but it was easy to do.

dhoerl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
We ran our cord along the ceiling as well. We added a tool balancer to pull the handle up out of the way when not in use. Not sure if this would be useful in your case, but it was easy to do.
Photo would be nice. also link to device. Sounds useful!

OP
OP

Pina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Passport, 2022 Mach-E Premium Ordered
Country flag
In summary. Tell the electrician to install a 50 amp nema 14-50 outlet. The provided evse is adequate although an after market wall holster for the connector is recommended. After that, if you really need to charge faster … buy a 40 amp esve?
This is what I was thinking I would have him do. Only way I think I will have a need for faster charging is if my SO also ends up with an EV down the road. Getting him out of his F250 however will not likely happen anytime soon!!

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Forgot to mention that I added a dummy socket for the connector. You can see it in my picture on post #46. I didn’t mount it to the wall because it would stick out too far.

igotnoclevername

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sequoia/QX60, Maybe Bronco 6G WT/Lightning/Mach E
Country flag
32a charging w the mobile charger is plenty fast for me. My daily range is usually 20-40 miles, so many times I charge every 3rd or fourth day. my wife has a BMW 330e with 20 mi range that we charge every day in an hour or so, then I decide whether or not to charge the MME overnight.

additionally, I wanted an actual 50a outlet in my garage that I can use to backfeed generator (inverter actually) power into the house in case of grid outage. Isolate from grid, turn off non-critical loads and PV, unplug the charger, and plug in my BBU-inverter.

I have a little battery backup unit on the shelf right next to the outlet so I can run emergency lights, refrigerator, etc for short outages.... and export 12v energy from the MME for longer outages. I can run my house for about a week from the MME if I had to since the HV battery (SR) can be used to suppliment my little 12v BBU battery pack by connecting jumpers....
I would love to see pictures of this. Or know what you used to set it up.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag

BayouEV

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach E Extended Range, Tesla Model Y
Country flag

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This is what I was thinking I would have him do. Only way I think I will have a need for faster charging is if my SO also ends up with an EV down the road. Getting him out of his F250 however will not likely happen anytime soon!!
We just got a PHEV as well as my MME. At first I was going to either A) get an EVSE with two plugs like the Grizzle-E Duo or B) get a second Juicebox that supports load sharing. In the end I opted to just run a second feed to my panel because it ended up looking nicer and I could locate them on opposite garage walls so we don’t have cords to trip over. Mine is near the front and easy to get to on the MME, and hers is near the back where the charge port is on her Audi.

For the second one, I just ran 2 conductor #10 gauge wire and hardwired a Juicebox. I then set the Juicebox to a max of 24A. If you have 2-EVs, you really don’t need two 40 or 48A circuits (unless you have two F-150 lightnings). The slower one is good to fully replace both our daily driving overnight, and either of us can use the 40A one if we need to top up a little quicker in a pinch. #10 wire is also WAY cheaper and way easier to install, and doesn’t lead to overloading an already loaded panel quite as much.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
You might want to test it, mine was malfunctioning from the start, dealer ended up pulling one from another vehicle after purchase. Like you I use another, keeping the ford one stored in its original location.

I guess I can't answer that since my Ford Mobile charger is still wrapped in plastic under the cargo floor. I don't even know if it works.

But a lot of people seem happy using it as their only charger, so I guess you can give it a try. If you're not happy with that solution, you can always buy a more robust EVSE later.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
You might want to test it, mine was malfunctioning from the start, dealer ended up pulling one from another vehicle after purchase. Like you I use another, keeping the ford one stored in its original location.
Yeah, it's been on my to-do list for almost a year. To test it right, I'll need to find a 14-50 outlet. Maybe when it gets warmer outside.
Sponsored