Is the Mach-E really 7 years behind Tesla?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It is funny, while I am not an activist, per se, my mind has completely switched gears, pun intended, to EVs and the Mach-E in particular. I used to love reading about cars and in particular, supercars and/or high horsepower others. But I find myself not interested now. I see headlines about things like the super powerful MB AMG GLA or the next Subie STI, etc. and I think, that is dumb. It is time to get past this and start saving the planet. I don't want to get political, but I couldn't fathom buying a car like that now. So, maybe I am becoming an activist, but I wish all the money on developing these higher and higher HP cars were being spent on better and more efficient EVs. Time is running out and EVs are fun in any case. Now, where did I put that cool-aid.
I kinda look at the ICE car enthusiasts (i.e. the ones that really get into the HP and racing cars and 0-60 speeds and all that) like I do the BEV enthusiasts -- as few% niches on each end. But it's the 90% in the middle who buy and use vehicles for their practical purposes that really matter regarding the impacts. Style and comfort and features are in there too, of course, but it's the practicality that matters the most (function and price).

I'm really enjoying getting into the Mach-e talk too (and of course I plan to buy one). Because it's such a different paradigm that there's a lot of newness to figure out. Plus it's just fun to explore. But my focus is nearly always on the practical aspects (and what's realistic), which will also determine how many people end up actually making the switch to BEVs.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
I kinda look at the ICE car enthusiasts (i.e. the ones that really get into the HP and racing cars and 0-60 speeds and all that) like I do the BEV enthusiasts -- as few% niches on each end. But it's the 90% in the middle who buy and use vehicles for their practical purposes that really matter regarding the impacts. Style and comfort and features are in there too, of course, but it's the practicality that matters the most (function and price).

I'm really enjoying getting into the Mach-e talk too (and of course I plan to buy one). Because it's such a different paradigm that there's a lot of newness to figure out. Plus it's just fun to explore. But my focus is nearly always on the practical aspects (and what's realistic), which will also determine how many people end up actually making the switch to BEVs.
Good point. I will be trading an edge as part of getting the mach-e. The Mach-e is similar in size will let me drive to golf with friends and clubs in the car and will be a good car for commuting. It does seem practical but also a nice interior, good tech for commuting and attractive looks which count to me as well.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That depends on usage and pricing, just like any business. If they can't make a business case for their existence, then charging stations will fold up and go away. No different than a gas station.

The $billions in fines VW paid to get EA going (kinda like the $$ Tesla paid to subsidized their supercharge network) were helpful to get over the hump of the Chicken & Egg conundrum. Now there's a slew of BEV and PHEV models coming in the next few years. Even though most charging will be at people's homes and workplaces rather than public charging stations, there should be enough business to keep them going. EA (and Ionity in Europe) look like they're now pricing to actually maintain a business case. Tesla will eventually need to do the same instead of being a subsidized loss leader, IMO, as competition dramatically rises against them in the next few years.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
200 miles isn't likely to be quick at a dealer. Ford is saying L2 chargers, not DCFC.

And even if it were DCFC (unlikely) open to retail public use, if the choice is between sitting around a dealership for an hour vs sitting at a restaurant or even shopping at a Walmart for an hour, I'll take the latter. At least the latter helps me pass the time with something useful.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I’ve been driving a BEV for 2-1/2 years. I’ve never seen an EA station. There are other companies out there that are making a good go of it without being tied to fines.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
We will see.. just because L2 is minimum, doesn't mean the majority will not put in L3 by the time I need it. For now I will be optimistic because it's not really going to matter to me.... will do most charging at home, and I'll worry about it when I need to do a road trip, or use an ICE vehicle....

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Wait, so instead of plugging in at home, I'm going to drive 5 miles to the dealership, and wait around the lobby to charge? I don't see that use case.
Except for the apartment dweller with no access to home charging, you’re right. However, I’ve charged my Leaf at Nissan dealers’s DCFC systems on multiple road trips and my wife has stopped at a dealer across town several times. On road trips we’ve either caught up on email using the dealer’s fr WiFi or walked to a nearby eating spot.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Or they see enough market available just for people charging at home that don't need retail chargers (except for the rare road trip).
Sponsored