Is there a definitive fix for sporadic Bluetooth/Car Play not connecting?

geftsnowball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-E, Grabber Blue, Premium AWD ER
Country flag
This appears to be an issue with the Bluetooth system in the car, that is what initiates the wireless CarPlay connection before it’s handed off to Wi-Fi.
I'm not sure if this is different for CarPlay so I can't speak about that... but for Android Auto I experience a semi-frequent issue (more so on 3.5.4 at the moment) with it failing to connect and my conclusion seems to be that it's a WiFi connection issue and not Bluetooth (at least for AA).

From trial and error (jumping through the hoops of restarting the car, forcing Sync reset, etc.) it seems like the quickest way to (temporarily... until the next time it happens) get AA to wirelessly connect again is to hop into the connectivity settings, toggle OFF wireless projection, then toggle it back ON. This has (so far) immediately resolved the issue and AA would connect.

Would be interesting to hear if this works for CarPlay too.
Sponsored

OP
OP
PhillyYa

PhillyYa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium Extended
Country flag
I'm not sure if this is different for CarPlay so I can't speak about that... but for Android Auto I experience a semi-frequent issue (more so on 3.5.4 at the moment) with it failing to connect and my conclusion seems to be that it's a WiFi connection issue and not Bluetooth (at least for AA).

From trial and error (jumping through the hoops of restarting the car, forcing Sync reset, etc.) it seems like the quickest way to (temporarily... until the next time it happens) get AA to wirelessly connect again is to hop into the connectivity settings, toggle OFF wireless projection, then toggle it back ON. This has (so far) immediately resolved the issue and AA would connect.

Would be interesting to hear if this works for CarPlay too.
Will definitely give that a try

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
The reason I think it’s Bluetooth is that is how the wireless connection is established, and when I’ve had this problem I can’t even get the car to connect to the phone for plain old Bluetooth calling either.

Next time you are having the problem with android auto try going in to the phone connection settings and see if you can get it to connect just for phone calls, not android auto. I bet it won’t connect.

The problem was introduced in 3.5.3. 3.5.4 was a telematics control unit (TCU) update, so I don’t think it would have had an impact on this problem.

geftsnowball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-E, Grabber Blue, Premium AWD ER
Country flag
The reason I think it’s Bluetooth is that is how the wireless connection is established, and when I’ve had this problem I can’t even get the car to connect to the phone for plain old Bluetooth calling either.

Next time you are having the problem with android auto try going in to the phone connection settings and see if you can get it to connect just for phone calls, not android auto. I bet it won’t connect.

The problem was introduced in 3.5.3. 3.5.4 was a telematics control unit (TCU) update, so I don’t think it would have had an impact on this problem.

Perhaps it's different with CarPlay because I gave up a few times and just played audio via Bluetooth (phone connected for phone and media but the AA connection would pop up "failed to connect" message).

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Perhaps it's different with CarPlay because I gave up a few times and just played audio via Bluetooth (phone connected for phone and media but the AA connection would pop up "failed to connect" message).
Interesting. That is a different behavior than what I’ve experienced with an iPhone. Who knows then.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Unfortunately, it doesn't. At the best, maybe, it makes it better - today is my 5th day with 4.1.2 and I had connection failure for the first time.
Are you on 16.2 or, better yet, 16.3? The phone no longer hangs on to the Wi-Fi connection for CarPlay for too long after I turn the car off. Before, the car would be fully off and still Wi-Fi would say it’s connected to CarPlay for a while if I stayed in range.

By putting my phone in airplane mode for a minute after exiting the car, it made CarPlay way more reliable as it forces the CarPlay connection to end. For short stops, run into 7-Eleven, etc. 100% chance CarPlay wouldn’t work without doing airplane mode as I’m always in range of the car so it never truly disconnects but then doesn’t connect back properly.

With 4.1.3, I guess I never had just 4.1.2 as I did FDRS, it’s been flawless, don’t need to do any tricks.

OP
OP
PhillyYa

PhillyYa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium Extended
Country flag

Exactly. I tried this also. Just to plain ole connect the phone to make calls. Nope.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The annoying part of this is I was having this issue on my 2021 Premium, then I upgraded to a 2022 GT and the problem went away because the software was older. One month after I got the 22 it was updated and the problem was back.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Is there a definitive fix for sporadic Bluetooth/Car Play not connecting? 1674620934768

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
If wired works but wireless doesn't, remove the Bluetooth connection from the phone and the car and recreate it. This is not a surefire fix but has seen good success. Don't do a reset as that risks messing up PaaK

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Are you on 16.2 or, better yet, 16.3? The phone no longer hangs on to the Wi-Fi connection for CarPlay for too long after I turn the car off. Before, the car would be fully off and still Wi-Fi would say it’s connected to CarPlay for a while if I stayed in range.

By putting my phone in airplane mode for a minute after exiting the car, it made CarPlay way more reliable as it forces the CarPlay connection to end. For short stops, run into 7-Eleven, etc. 100% chance CarPlay wouldn’t work without doing airplane mode as I’m always in range of the car so it never truly disconnects but then doesn’t connect back properly.

With 4.1.3, I guess I never had just 4.1.2 as I did FDRS, it’s been flawless, don’t need to do any tricks.
Interesting. I've definitely experienced this (run into a store and return and then CarPlay won't reconnect) issue many times, but never thought it might a not-fully-disconnecting issue. I have (the FDRS equivalent of) 4.1.3 now and we'll see if it is reliable. I've not driven the car much yet.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Are you on 16.2 or, better yet, 16.3?
I'm on android, sorry I didn't mention it in my original post. But, frankly, I think it's the same problem with establishing a BT and then WiFi connections between a phone and the car. And because it happens sporadically, I think that some "services" in the car are not starting correctly at the boot-up time. (just making some parallels with the Windows services). Anyway, I don't have any facts, it's just a theory to explain unknowns and help to live with this small problem. When it fails, I can reach for the phone and connect it to the cable, try to restart the console, or listen to some commercials on the radio. Not a big deal.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
I was having a problem with CarPlay connecting and had to resort to hardwired. Then I found a setting in y phone that had the CarPlay turned off.....Doh!

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
Yes, hardwire works fine. But again, it’s a hassle and should be unnecessary.
I bought this came in pairs. Plug in the media tray set it and forget it unless.you need it. The only flaw(s) here I ran into was when retracting make sure your lined up or could get tangled. And don't pull too hard or it will disconnect.

Check this out! https://a.co/d/6jA8Gm6

Major pro, keeps the input plug as tight as it can be. Plugging in and out can wear it out.

Keep in mind that Bluetooth connection is still a signal and electrical car and screens etc. Alot of wavelengths crossing paths. Ever presses a button on sync and the music cuts in and out?

Electrical signals interfering including Bluetooth.
Sponsored