Is there an easy way to turn off AC?

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
An A/C button was added to the main screen for the 2022 models. In theory, that will come to 2021s some day. That still won't completely turn off HVAC, but it's a step in the right direction.
I think the Mach-E is great, but I really wonder who their a/c control designer is.

They have room for one HVAC button and they decide it should turn a/c on or off while leaving the fan on, instead of cycling the whole system on or off?

Add to this that cycling through the auto modes never turns the system off (just 1-3-2 and back again), and that recirculate seems to disengage anytime you press auto or manually adjust the fan speed, and I gotta wonder who is making these calls.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
You can touch the climate control button (bottom right of big screen), and then touch the power button (top left of ensuing screen).

Alternatively you can press the voice command button on the steering wheel (looks like a person talking) and tell the car to turn off the air conditioning (note: I personally haven't tried this but it should work in theory)

yes, it takes (at least) two screen clicks to get to the on/off for eA/C & eHeat

....and by the way this is the only way to 'open the vent' to allow outside ambient air in.
- leave the desired temp at 74F or wherever
- lower-right screen push to climate control screen
- click desired vent: defrost, dash, feet
- click 'recirc' off
- click A/C power off

I'd much rather have a few mechanical cables/sliders/levers for the vents.... but you get used to hitting the screen after a while.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Yeah this is exactly what I am after as well.

I want fans etc off.. for example, I typically leave the setting on cold and auto setting but when it's too cold and I want heat, I like to turn fans etc off and let the warm air come in and heat the cabin. It's just hassle going into the multiple screens to disable the fans etc. I will give the voice option a shot, that sounds pretty cool. I never used that voice option for anything yet.
I have never found a voice command for the temp control..... only radio, navigation, text, and phone

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I think the Mach-E is great, but I really wonder who their a/c control designer is.

They have room for one HVAC button and they decide it should turn a/c on or off while leaving the fan on, instead of cycling the whole system on or off?

Add to this that cycling through the auto modes never turns the system off (just 1-3-2 and back again), and that recirculate seems to disengage anytime you press auto or manually adjust the fan speed, and I gotta wonder who is making these calls.
This happens all the time when the product owner writes basic requirements and developers dont give a $h!t. "It says turn on/off AC. Nothing about the fan."

Last edited:

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
I have never found a voice command for the temp control..... only radio, navigation, text, and phone
Seems like every voice command I've ever tried in any car has resulted in the car saying "Rear defroster, on"

Jimbo

First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium 4X
Country flag

I personally prefer it be an AC button (I like turning it off, but still having a breeze). Agreed with the rest of your points, though.

I haven't tried turning on/off AC/heat/fans vocally, but for actual temp, "set the temperature to xx degrees" worked for me on my '21

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I haven't tried turning on/off AC/heat/fans vocally, but for actual temp, "set the temperature to xx degrees" worked for me on my '21
in a more general case.... I am wondering if there is a documented set of 'recognized' voice commands somewhere in the user manual I haven't found?

OP
OP

irishwill2008

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E RWD 75KW
Country flag
So I just checked my Mach e. I can set the temperature which is awesome but there is no voice command to turn the fan off. Cool all the same with the voice commands. First time using them, was playing around turning on FM stations etc 🤣

Back to the problem at hand, so far even if I click that power button, it is probably still faster by clicking on the fan blade icon and sliding the slider to "off". If only there was a way to turn it off with 1 press instead of 2 presses.

OP
OP

irishwill2008

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E RWD 75KW
Country flag
in a more general case.... I am wondering if there is a documented set of 'recognized' voice commands somewhere in the user manual I haven't found?
Yes there is.

Click on the car icon (top right) -> settings -> side bar (ford assistant) -> voice commands help.

Has them all :)

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
I personally prefer it be an AC button (I like turning it off, but still having a breeze). Agreed with the rest of your points, though.

That's how it works on my '21 as well

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I find it odd that (on 2022's) they make it easy to turn off A/C (which doesn't use much power), but two clicks to turn off eHeat (which is kW hungry). Yes, I know eHeat doesn't run unless the temperature settings demand it, but Ford recommends you use seat/steering wheel heaters in lieu of eHeat when possible, so honestly I don't get it.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Yes there is.

Click on the car icon (top right) -> settings -> side bar (ford assistant) -> voice commands help.

Has them all :)
I took a look, no fan=off, or a/c=off, or vent only.... so.... clicking into the screen is the only real way to get what you want.

astronut325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium, Toyota Camry, Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software analyst
Country flag
Um... my 2022 Premium has an "Off" button. It's not in the temperature setting. It's in the fan setting. If I open the fan setting, at or near the bottom of the fan settings is an "Off" button. Form what I can tell, that completely turns off the AC and the fan.

Y'all don't have that?
Sponsored