Is there any way to turn off the annoying school zone warning?

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Hi there, everyone! The EV Navigation system is designed to make you aware of points of interest like school zones, border crossings etc. However, sometimes these messages are not necessary if for instance you live next to a school or pass a number of school zones on your drive each day. If you would like to further personalize the messaging, you can adjust by doing the following: In the navigation window selected from your user menu you will see a wrench and screwdriver symbol in the lower left hand corner, select that. Then you will see a number of options pop up, and in the lower right hand corner is a settings button which you will select. There are a number of things you can change, but you want to select notifications. There will be toggles you can use to adjust the messaging in the navigation system. Hope this helps!
Sponsored

jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S/3/Y, Mach e GTP, Canoo/Lightning/R1S Resy
Country flag
Hi there, everyone! The EV Navigation system is designed to make you aware of points of interest like school zones, border crossings etc. However, sometimes these messages are not necessary if for instance you live next to a school or pass a number of school zones on your drive each day. If you would like to further personalize the messaging, you can adjust by doing the following: In the navigation window selected from your user menu you will see a wrench and screwdriver symbol in the lower left hand corner, select that. Then you will see a number of options pop up, and in the lower right hand corner is a settings button which you will select. There are a number of things you can change, but you want to select notifications. There will be toggles you can use to adjust the messaging in the navigation system. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the tip. Is this in the manual somewhere if we were to search "notifications" or "school zone" or whatever?

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
There was a school that was torn down last year, they are preparing to build something else there, but the warning still comes up when I drive by. I'm not sure what maps are being used, but in the past I was able to submit something to google maps for them to verify and change the maps.

PrimeFuture

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium RWD ER, 2013 Ford Focus
Country flag
LOL... I can see it now. Pulled over by police. First question asked

"Did you know you were in a school zone?"

"Nope! I deactivated that setting on my car!"
Only a Tesla driver would blame their car for their bad habits. ?

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
What research provided the data to support that school zones are points of interest or that drivers want or should be notified? If no data then Ford mad the decision for drivers, which I think is inappropriate, although I'm glad this notification can be disabled.

If I'm looking for a school, I'll use the navigation system to find that school. But I don't consider a school zone as a point of interest, let alone want the navigation system to audibly indicate that I'm in such a point of interest. I would emphasize this if in a focus group providing preference data.

To me this seems like Ford once again being overly concerned with trying to protect drivers from themselves, so drivers don't drive too fast in school zones. Similar to previous comments regarding schools not in session or being converted, the navigation system should calculate that the time is actually within a period when children would be attending classes before audibly notifying drivers, and a decommissioned school would not have active class sessions. Perhaps I'm misappropriating Ford's intentions, but that is my assessment and why I asked the 'what research...' question.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
What research provided the data to support that school zones are points of interest or that drivers want or should be notified? If no data then Ford mad the decision for drivers, which I think is inappropriate, although I'm glad this notification can be disabled.
School zones exist to help keep children safe. At least in CA, the speed limits are usually 25 and sometimes 15 MPH, which is often a drastic reduction from the normal speed limit. Cops are often sitting in wait to catch people who don't slow down.

You're taking the "point of interest" description too literally. It is entirely appropriate to offer a notification of a school zone, and since it can be disabled, it's really not a big deal. If it helps keep me from getting a ticket, or worse, from hitting a child who runs out from behind a parked car, I'm thankful for it.

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
School zones exist to help keep children safe. At least in CA, the speed limits are usually 25 and sometimes 15 MPH, which is often a drastic reduction from the normal speed limit. Cops are often sitting in wait to catch people who don't slow down.

You're taking the "point of interest" description too literally. It is entirely appropriate to offer a notification of a school zone, and since it can be disabled, it's really not a big deal. If it helps keep me from getting a ticket, or worse, from hitting a child who runs out from behind a parked car, I'm thankful for it.
I'm OK with slowing to a crawl.
However, hmmm, if a specific term is not to be taken literally, I advise Ford to select a different term or creating an entirely new category or taxonomy. Not an argument with you, just with Ford. English vocabulary is vast. I can only understand and react to the terms presented.

jacobsg695

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
car
Country flag
The school zone warning can sometimes be quite annoying. While this serves an important purpose, it help for students be in safe. Exploring potential solutions to this issue would make for an interesting essay on different topics related to transportation or urban planning. Possible approaches include implementing smarter, adaptive warning systems that activate only during peak school hours or using advanced technology to detect the presence of pedestrians. Balancing safety concerns with the need for minimizing annoyance is a challenge worth addressing.

jacobsg695

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
car
Country flag

Since I'm a big proponent of relaxed driving, I sympathize with the frustration caused by constant notifications. Unfortunately, I cannot offer a definitive solution. However, when I was writing essays about landmarks and used writing service there was a lot of information about school areas. Remember that adapting to evolving technologies and using thoughtful approaches is vital to harmonious coexistence on the road. Let's aim for a future where the driving experience is better but not too disruptive.
I absolutely agree that school is a place that drivers should be aware of in advance. Children do not sit still and do not always follow the rules, so drivers should be as careful as possible in these places.

Last edited:

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
Safety is school zones was introduced as a topic to the annoying notification produced by the navigation system. I challenged the classifying school zones as 'point of interest', and the data leading to this navigation system classification.
My wife is a retired elementary school teacher. As a college professor I taught young people who were training to be elementary school teachers - until I changed careers to computer science.
I agree with safety in school zones, but that is a completely different topic than the original. I will no longer comment regarding this thread.
Sponsored