Is there way to tell if a used GT has the updated HVBJB?

cbcasas

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Looking at upgrading to a used 22 GT but will likely only pull the trigger if I know it has the updated HVBJB. I’d hate to go through the same SSN troubles. So, besides the build date, is there any way to tell?
Sponsored

Earplug

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GT-PE
Country flag
I would guess a Ford Dealer could look up the VIN for a repair history.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If built after May 25 you are good - if older look at repair history as previously mentioned.

Chris-MMEX_GT500

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careerup.tech
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT / Star White
Occupation
Business owner
Country flag
@heisnuts said his part was the "C" part, I may be wrong, but I think the post May build 22 cars may have the "B" part, which may fail.

Your dealer should be able to look up your VIN and detail all work performed on the car.

It is too early to tell if the C iteration of the part will resolve the issues, I plan on putting mine to the test. I hope it does as I really do not want to replace my GT with anything else.

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
@heisnuts said his part was the "C" part, I may be wrong, but I think the post May build 22 cars may have the "B" part, which may fail.

Your dealer should be able to look up your VIN and detail all work performed on the car.

It is too early to tell if the C iteration of the part will resolve the issues, I plan on putting mine to the test. I hope it does as I really do not want to replace my GT with anything else.
My first failure in early May was replaced with the original HVBJB since the updated part had not been released yet. At that point I had 6K on the car. My second replacement was in September at 12K and that was replaced with the C iteration of the updated HVBJB. My third replacement was just completed this month at 17K and it was also replaced with the C iteration again.

I will say now that the software warns of the failure before it actually happens and now that I have found a good dealer who is able to replace the HVBJB, I don't really worry about it. I now look at it as some cars go in for an oil change every 6K where my car goes in every 6K for a HVBJB. I am sure as time goes on the repair times will get a lot quicker or they will come out with another updated part that might extend out my service interval. Either way, like you I love the car and get too much enjoyment out of it to give it up.... At least for now since there really isn't anything else like it out currently for the price I paid for it almost a year ago now. Just today I did almost 200 miles of back road driving with almost 4 hours of seat time. I still have a huge grin from my adventures today. It never gets old and it is still hard not to giggle at times during the drive 😀

Last edited:

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
My first failure in early May was replaced with the original HVBJB since the updated part had not been released yet. At that point I had 6K on the car. My second replacement was in September at 12K and that was replaced with the C iteration of the updated HVBJB. My third replacement was just completed this month at 17K and it was also replaced with the C iteration again.

I will say now that the software warns of the failure before it actually happens and now that I have found a good dealer who is able to replace the HVBJB, I don't really worry about it. I now look at it as some cars go in for an oil change every 6K where my car goes in every 6K for a HVBJB. I am sure as time goes on the repair times will get a lot quicker or they will come out with another updated part that might extend out my service interval. Either way, like you I love the car and get too much enjoyment out of it to give it up.... At least for now since there really isn't anything else like it out currently for the price I paid for it almost a year ago now. Just today I did almost 200 miles of back road driving with almost 4 hours of seat time. I still have a huge grin from my adventures today. It never gets old and it is still hard not to giggle at times during the drive 😀
Gotta wonder what the data from your car is going to cause them to do, because I don't think they want to spend $3k in warranty repairs every 6,000miles for your car...

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Looking at upgrading to a used 22 GT but will likely only pull the trigger if I know it has the updated HVBJB. I’d hate to go through the same SSN troubles. So, besides the build date, is there any way to tell?
Anyone with FDRS can look up your VIN and see the build date and also the service history that would probably show if it's had a major service like HVBJB replacement.

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
Gotta wonder what the data from your car is going to cause them to do, because I don't think they want to spend $3k in warranty repairs every 6,000miles for your car...
Good. F*ck Ford they brought this upon themselves. They shouldn't advertise it as a mustang if they don't expect people to drive it like one.

I'd also love to see the data recorded by his car. I love that he's clearly enjoying it 😎

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
It might also be a cost/benefit analysis. Is the warranty money spent on a few outlier cars like mine a lot less than spending the money to redesign the part, cooling system or both? I guess time will tell as more cars with the updated part get some more miles on them.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
It might also be a cost/benefit analysis. Is the warranty money spent on a few outlier cars like mine a lot less than spending the money to redesign the part, cooling system or both? I guess time will tell as more cars with the updated part get some more miles on them.
There are always outliers well off the bell curve. You may be one for any number of reasons. Or not. I bet the model refresh (2025??) addresses this and introduces all new problems. Such is the nature of things.
Sponsored