Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
I just did a search of New York State dealers within 100 miles of my zip code (upstate NY). Of the 50 or so cars found, only 1 was a Premium with an Extended Range Battery. I found one First Edition available. The rest were mostly AWD Selects with a few AWD Premiums with the Standard Range Battery. Now, these are the lowest MSRP Mach-E's so I guess dealers feel these will sell better off the lot. People wanting the Extended Battery option will order it.

I am thinking those wanting to Buy Now will be disappointed with Ford's marketing always saying up to 300 miles in range but not finding those models on dealer's lots. Allowing the dealers to point those people to Escapes, Edges, Explorers and a Bronco Sport or two. Sigh.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Is this a Dealer Trend for the Mach-E? 1617044803408
Sponsored

balataspin

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Escape SEL, 2021 Mach - E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I have noticed the same doing a 100 mile search that covers Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Elmira.

My dealer in Roc said when Mine (Premium AWD ER) shows up in July/August I'll only be their 2nd or 3rd sold total.

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
Yup found that as well, which seems really stupid on Ford's part. They should have calculated market demand better - this is a premium, novel car for the segment and they should have expected considerable demand for the AWD ER version.

I got very fortunate and snagged an AWD ER version this weekend that someone had canceled - otherwise I would have been looking at early to mid May for new incoming dealer ordered AWD ER.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
For the majority of people's use at this point the standard range is very much adequate for commuting to work and other routine use. Most families will still have a gasoline vehicle that they can use for road trips. Even the longer range Mach E, with its poor charging behavior, is not a good road trip vehicle at the moment.

Also, the SR models after Tax credits get into the sweet spot of the Crossover SUV market ($35-40K).

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Standard Range is more than enough for my needs. So if I were in your area searching for a new Mach-E already in stock, I'd be happy.

Moreover, you're seeing cars that presumably haven't been sold yet. How do you know that the dealers didn't order more extended range vehicles than standard range? Do you have visibility to past sales? Maybe this is all that's left after the more sought after cars have been taken.

I searched all the Phoenix area dealers that showed inventory on their web sites back in late December. These were mostly or entirely cars that were still in transit. Not actual dealer stock... And in some cases, they were customer orders... What I found was TWO standard range vehicles (one of which is now mine), and TWENTY extended range vehicles.

In all cases in my search, the FCTP vehicle that a dealer ordered for itself was extended range.

vinny2487

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E CA Route 1 (Star White)
Country flag
Noticed the same thing here in Southern California. My local dealer has 16 Mach E's and 12 of them are the Select trim. The rest are Premium w/ standard battery and one CA Rt. 1.

Gaigan71

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Carbonized Grey Route 1
Occupation
Education
Country flag
I originally ordered a Premium AWD with SR. The ER would have pushed my order from financially "pushing it" to "no way" . I ended up with an orphan Route 1 which I love.

The dealership appears to not have cancelled my Premium AWD SR, looks like they will take delivery and add it to the pile.

I would guess there are few folks out there like me; really wanted the pano roof and extras but the ER $$$ made the cost prohibitive.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I think this is actually the opposite of what you observe -- the Premium Ext AWD models appear to be the most popular. It's likely those are the ones everyone is hunting for, and that's why they're selling out and missing from dealer lots.

Look at the tracker on this site - Premium AWD Ext are by far the most popular choice.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
I've found that the vast majority of the cars that show up in that inventory search you did on the Ford website have been ordered but are not at dealers yet. I used the VIN tracker and found that anything with a VIN in the upper teens to mid-20's will show delivery is expected in 30-40 days. "Dealer ordered" is also a giveaway.
Have others had the same experience?

OP
OP
stmache

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
In all cases in my search, the FCTP vehicle that a dealer ordered for itself was extended range.
Yes, the Loaners or FCTP vehicles for the local dealers are all AWD EX cars. Again, people will test drive them and hear the EPA Estimated range of 270. Then, if they want to buy...will be shown SR on the lot or have to wait months if they want the extended battery. I don't know how that's going to fly.

I do understand a SR will easily fit most of one's everyday needs. Heck, my Clarity PHEV covers my daily driving with only ~45 miles of range. I just do not understand Ford pushing the 300 mile range in their advertising and then having the dealers stock the SR models.

JoeSmoeFromIDontKnow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER (canceled)
Country flag
I noticed the same thing as the OP. It is easy to see that the "dealer ordered" stamp appears on many of the selects yet to be delivered. That tells me that the dealers are intentionally ordering more of them. I'll bet that the lower price tag for the casual buyer passing buy will be lured in for an easier sale.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
So they are still building reservations, so any "stock" would be cancelled reservations or loaner vehicles. Many that show up will be orders that are spoken for but not delivered yet. Since the schedule was announced to be premium first then select, it makes sense a lot of selects are showing up on the website and many premiums are being delivered and taken off the search results.

So I wouldn't say this has anything to do with Ford deciding what to build or a dealer trend.
Sponsored