Is this your first Electric Vehicle

• Thread starter Deleted member 9461
  • Start date
  • Watchers 3

Deleted member 9461

Aloha,
wanted to start a thread to see who is the first time electric car owners. Did you know what you were getting into when you got your MME, or did you have to do some serious Bill Nye the science guy digging to convince yourself ok, I can do this, this car suffices my needs ( i drive X-miles to work/ I drive From Boston to Seattle 8 times a year). If this is your first EV, what is the first engineering accomplishment to charge the car, for example ran an extension cord from the utility pole, or pulled the whole battery and ran it down to a nuclear submarine...come Friday I'll be picking up my MME (caught between naming it BANSHEE or Andromeda) this will be my 6th EV since Nov 15. Looking forward to hearing from everyone. If this is your "FIRST" how much time driving did you spend staring at the Guess O Meter vs the road, cause now you have a gauge telling you, you have x miles, then you stomp the power, or dive to Denver and you go from 150 miles left to 40 in a matter of seconds.

Steve
Sponsored

Reactions: ARK

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
You've owned 5 other vehicles between 11/15/21 and today? Are you seeing a professional? o_O

First EV. Hybrid, then PHEV, now this.

Very little surprises me because I do my research on most things pretty in-depth, especially when I am going to spend $60k. However, because we ordered and then a month later, quickly bought a cancelled order, there have been things I wasn't aware of.

Last edited:

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
First EV. I've never ran a tank to empty, I've never spontaneously decided I wanted to drive over 200 miles in a single stretch without preparation or planning, I have a garage and I've never enjoyed filling up with gasoline. It has been an easy transition.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
4th plugin, 3rd EV. In order:
  1. 2013 Focus Electric--70 miles of range
  2. 2016 C-Max Energi--32 miles of electric only range
  3. 2018 Bolt--238 miles of range
  4. 2021 Mach-E California Route 1--300 miles of range
Nope: Don't dwell on the GOM. I never have--even with the Focus Electric. Once you drive an EV for about a week you get to know how far you can go (just like any car you quickly learn its capabilities).

None of them left me stranded--for any reason.

Also note: None of them AWD and I'm in Michigan. No problems in the snow. (Well ok got the Focus & the Bolt stuck exactly once each but only because I was being stupid LOL in deep snow. In both cases I was able to rock them out.)

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
First EV. Still own a number of ICE cars and don't see that changing anytime soon. I do like the EV experience so far.

RidingwithScotty

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR aka Scotty
Country flag
It's my first EV and I don't miss paying over $30 for maybe 2.5 weeks worth of gas if I'm lucky! Still getting used to the GOM in the winter since this is my first year with Scotty. Though I do love launching off the line with no turbo lag...

OP
OP

Deleted member 9461

You've owned 5 other vehicles between 11/15/21 and today? Are you seeing a professional? o_O
HAHAHAHA WAS NOV OF 2015....But are you offering Psycho-therapy services...I see a blues brothers mash up coming hahahaha

Glen Boise

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My Mach-E is my first EV. Had an Escape Hybrid before for 14 years. Did watch a lot of YouTube videos about the EV experience before ordering. The only real surprise was the cold weather impact reducing the GOM. It has not been a real problem however.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Aloha,
wanted to start a thread to see who is the first time electric car owners. Did you know what you were getting into when you got your MME, or did you have to do some serious Bill Nye the science guy digging to convince yourself ok, I can do this, this car suffices my needs ( i drive X-miles to work/ I drive From Boston to Seattle 8 times a year). If this is your first EV, what is the first engineering accomplishment to charge the car, for example ran an extension cord from the utility pole, or pulled the whole battery and ran it down to a nuclear submarine...come Friday I'll be picking up my MME (caught between naming it BANSHEE or Andromeda) this will be my 6th EV since Nov 15. Looking forward to hearing from everyone. If this is your "FIRST" how much time driving did you spend staring at the Guess O Meter vs the road, cause now you have a gauge telling you, you have x miles, then you stomp the power, or dive to Denver and you go from 150 miles left to 40 in a matter of seconds.

Steve
I first converted a little ICE car ('97 Suzuki Swift) from gas to electric in 2008. Using flooded lead acid batteries I had a max range of 35 miles or so, and 0-60 times of about 13 seconds with max output of 48kW....

upgraded to Lithium about 2 years later, dropped 400#, increased max range to about 50 miles, and 0-60 to about 11 seconds.

converted a Miata in 2012 , 120kw output giving 0-60 in 6-7 sec depending on traction available, and a 50 mile max range....

.... these were obviously 'around town cars', but perfect for Santa Fe which is geographically compact. I kept an ICE car (Mazda 3) for trips.

Until the MME was available with AWD, 200mi range, for less than $50k!

I take only a few long trips per year, and there are 'a few' charge stations sprinkled around even in rural areas where I can grab a L2 charge if needed, so I sold the ICE and am all BEV now

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
At first I did have to talk myself into it, but only because I had to convince myself I didn’t need a larger SUV for my kids. Once I realized I was out of the stroller and portable-crib stage of life, an EV was a no-brainer. However, we are a 2-car household and my wife drives a PHEV, which eliminates range anxiety for the 2 times each year we use gasoline. Once this rental car shortage is over, we may go all-EV and just rent a car twice a year if we need to (plus we could rent a minivan for trips without having to drive a minivan the other 50 weeks of the year).

In fact, two weeks ago I made a spontaneous drive to a college basketball game in my standard range MME. 80 ish miles round trip, on a cold night (25 degrees). A friend called an hour before it was time to leave, so I could only charge up to 80%. Made it home with 14% remaining. That’s about the worst-case spontaneous trip for me, and it handled it great!

shoopla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE, '16 Volvo S60 CrossCountry, '16 XC60
Occupation
Proj Engineer
Country flag
First EV, did have a new 2012 Fusion hybrid from 2011-2016, but that doesn't really count. I'm not 100% committed to the EV world especially in 4 season area so still have 2 ICE Volvos. That's why I went with the GTPE. If it was my only car, would have went with the premium and a set of dedicated snow tires for the winter.

blazinazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ER AWD Premium
Country flag
This is our first EV but the transition mentally to thinking it would work went from me looking at standard hybrids to looking at Plug-In hybrids to then looking at BEVs. Once I was interested in BEVs I initially went down the rabbit hole of being overly concerned about fast charging and not having many around us but then after research and much video watching I realized that didn't matter as we would charge at home. With that out of the way I started then worrying about cold weather range loss but again after much research I decided it would not make a difference for the use case. Lastly I wanted to make sure it was possible to do the ~200 mile drive between cities that we do at least a few times a year. I realized it was totally possible and there were two fast chargers on the way. Our purchase was a bit dicey as we drove 5 hours away to pick it up in the middle of the cold snap in Texas last week so we had almost no time to get over the range anxiety issue. We had planned the route as pessimistically as possible and ensured that even if our range took like a 60% hit we'd be safe to do the journey without a hotel stop at a level 2 or something goofy. The Ford Pass Plug and Charge worked flawlessly at our two EA stops with the car hitting a max charging speed of 120 and a low of 78 or so leading to about 50 minutes of charging on the drive home and getting us an additional 200 miles of range. We knew we couldn't blast the heat so we left our sweaters on and used the seat heaters and it was perfectly comfortable. We managed about 2.6 mi/kwH on the drive home and made it with no incident and even got to use the Blue Cruise which worked very well. Overall the transition has been really easy with no real surprises likely due to the fact that we had spent a lot of time researching, reading, and watching videos on them.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
This was my first EV, and I had researched EVs in general and knew about them by the time the Mach-E reveal came, so I didn’t hesitate to put a reservation down without any further research.

However, the real reason I am posting here is to tell OP to go with Banshee in naming his Mach-E when he picks it up. Especially if it is Shadow Black.
Sponsored