It doesn't take an ICE to "ICE" a charger (or: "why people hate Tesla owners")

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I stopped by Walmart with EA chargers to fill up after our day trip to the shore, and met 2 other happy Mach E owners also taking advantage of the free weekend. That was the good part. Just as I was unplugging my car a Tesla bro (complete with Tesla t-shirt) pulls into the stall next to me. I initially ignored him as he got out, figuring he would figure out that he was at a CCS only station and move. Instead he and his trophy girlfriend (who was clearly too young for him) start to leave without even attempting to plug in. The following three way conversation ensued; "JO" is the Tesla bro and "Bolt lady" is the lady on the other side of him who was charging her bolt.

Me: "Are just going to park there"?
JO: "I'll charge it when I come out"
Me: "You can't charge off that charger"
JO: "I have a J1772 adapter"
Me: "That's not going to work on that charger"
JO: "I'll only be a minute"
Me: "So then park in another spot there are tons of open spaces, you don't need to block a charger" (parking lot was 20% full)
Bolt Lady: "That parking spot is clearly marked for charging only. That's not a CHADEMO connector, so you can't even use it"
JO: "I know how these cars charge and I don't need you explaining it to me. and I don't need two of you yelling at me. Ask me nicely and I'll move it"
ME (biting my tongue): "Please move your car"

The Tesla bro then moved his car while the trophy girlfrend just turned her back to me and the nice bolt lady. I guess he figured we were too stupid to know what he was doing.
Sponsored

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
I stopped by Walmart with EA chargers to fill up after our day trip to the shore, and met 2 other happy Mach E owners also taking advantage of the free weekend. That was the good part. Just as I was unplugging my car a Tesla bro (complete with Tesla t-shirt) pulls into the stall next to me. I initially ignored him as he got out, figuring he would figure out that he was at a CCS only station and move. Instead he and his trophy girlfriend (who was clearly too young for him) start to leave without even attempting to plug in. The following three way conversation ensued; "JO" is the Tesla bro and "Bolt lady" is the lady on the other side of him who was charging her bolt.

Me: "Are just going to park there"?
JO: "I'll charge it when I come out"
Me: "You can't charge off that charger"
JO: "I have a J1772 adapter"
Me: "That's not going to work on that charger"
JO: "I'll only be a minute"
Me: "So then park in another spot there are tons of open spaces, you don't need to block a charger" (parking lot was 20% full)
Bolt Lady: "That parking spot is clearly marked for charging only. That's not a CHADEMO connector, so you can't even use it"
JO: "I know how these cars charge and I don't need you explaining it to me. and I don't need two of you yelling at me. Ask me nicely and I'll move it"
ME (biting my tongue): "Please move your car"

The Tesla bro then moved his car while the trophy girlfrend just turned her back to me and the nice bolt lady. I guess he figured we were too stupid to know what he was doing.
This guy is clearly a jerk. However, there IS actually a CCS to Tesla adapter.

https://www.setec-power.com/ccs-adapter/

The description paragraph looks like it was translated with Google Translate, but I'll be damned if the thing doesn't exist.

"Just within Tesla CCS Adapter on the carā€™s trunk, you will be able to wake up from power anxiety, breathe free breath of life."

However, I'm 100% sure he didn't have one and was just a mega-dick.

OP
OP
timbop

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This is why I'm perfectly happy if the charging stations are in the back of the parking lot
Yep. If I could I would tell every hotel and business owner thinking of adding L2 chargers to put them far away from the front door.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Interesting. I hadnā€™t thought about it, but itā€™s kinda like people parking in a handicapped spot who arenā€™t disabled.

Not cool bro.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
I had even worse experience in LA in Walmart parking. Somebody in Mach-E left his car taking two charging spots. There were only three chargers and another Bolt charging, there was no room to squeeze to the third charger.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Interesting. I hadnā€™t thought about it, but itā€™s kinda like people parking in a handicapped spot who arenā€™t disabled.

Not cool bro.
In California you can do both. They have EV/handicap combo spots.

20210905_145653.jpg

20210905_185825.jpg

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Was also at Walmart today and a leaf was parked in the EV parking and not plugged in.

Itā€™s just a jerk move, donā€™t be a jerkā€¦

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
In California you can do both. They have EV/handicap combo spots.

Ford Mustang Mach-E It doesn't take an ICE to "ICE" a charger (or: "why people hate Tesla owners") 20210905_185825

Ford Mustang Mach-E It doesn't take an ICE to "ICE" a charger (or: "why people hate Tesla owners") 20210905_185825
wait, the new pizza is electric? that doesn't sound safe

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
This guy is clearly a jerk. However, there IS actually a CCS to Tesla adapter.

https://www.setec-power.com/ccs-adapter/

The description paragraph looks like it was translated with Google Translate, but I'll be damned if the thing doesn't exist.

"Just within Tesla CCS Adapter on the carā€™s trunk, you will be able to wake up from power anxiety, breathe free breath of life."

However, I'm 100% sure he didn't have one and was just a mega-dick.
All your base are belong to us!

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I carried the torch today. Wife took the Mach-E out of town so I had her Jeep 4xe for the last few days. Around mid day I met up with my son at a brew house in downtown Chandler and parking is always scarce. There are two EV charging spaces at the far end of the parking lot and one space was available. The other space had a Kia BEV but wasn't charging. :(

While I was opening the app to activate the machine the owner of the Kia showed up with shopping bags in her hand and she asked about the Jeep being electric. I then asked her if the charging stations are broken because she wasn't plugged in. I told her those spaces are for actively charging vehicles and she is expected to charge if she wants to park there. If she doesn't need a charge then park in one of the regular spaces and leave the EV space available for someone that needs it. Like me for example.

Then she left and a Tesla pulled up and a couple hopped out and noticed the Jeep was electric and wanted to know more about it. I then mentioned to them that security was driving around and towing vehicles parked in the handicap spaces without a permit or parked in the EV spaces without charging.

They said they park there all the time and never charged and it was okay. I said, well it is a problem......you just have been lucky so far. How lucky do you feel today? I am planning to charge which I think is the right thing to do if I want to use that space.

So they started digging around their car for the adapter and I walked away. When I was done having lunch with my son I went back to my Jeep that was nearly at 100% and the Tesla was moved to a regular space nearby. I guess they didn't have their adapter. Good thing too because that spot was now occupied by a BMW with California plates so they probably really needed that charging space.

I shouldn't have to be the EV police but somebody has to do it. :)

Ford Mustang Mach-E It doesn't take an ICE to "ICE" a charger (or: "why people hate Tesla owners") 20211106_131131

Ford Mustang Mach-E It doesn't take an ICE to "ICE" a charger (or: "why people hate Tesla owners") 20211106_131548

Ford Mustang Mach-E It doesn't take an ICE to "ICE" a charger (or: "why people hate Tesla owners") 20211106_143847