It is a sad, sad day in the Dimwit household…

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
It gets down to around 20F in my garage. I don't care about maximizing range either since my commute is 10 miles and I have free charging at work. Plugging in may be better for the battery long term, but I rarely keep cars more than a few years, so I don't see any benefit to spending the extra money.
Sounds like our situations are similar. Guessing you precondition cabin only for comfort purposes before you leave? So only reason to keep plugged in (assuming no need to charge) is battery temp maintenance? Will the HVB charge the 12V battery when not plugged in? And OTAs don’t need the car plugged in?
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Sounds like our situations are similar. Guessing you precondition cabin only for comfort purposes before you leave? So only reason to keep plugged in (assuming no need to charge) is battery temp maintenance? Will the HVB charge the 12V battery when not plugged in? And OTAs don’t need the car plugged in?
Yes, if it's very cold, I'll remote start to heat the cabin for comfort using the free electrons that are in the battery. The HVB will charge the 12V battery if it gets low, which is usually accompanied by an ominous "12V Battery Fault" message that's erroneous. OTAs don't require a plug either.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
oh, I was expecting to see your charge port door broken off by a basketball ?!

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
First, that’s my girlfriend’s daughters hoop. Second, it hasn’t been used once since I met my girlfriend 3 years ago. Third, I would sell it in a second if it were up to me.
Hopefully it doesn't blow over. I don't want to imagine the mean dent it would put in the hood. :mad:

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Reading through this thread, I'm picturing @Kamuelaflyer and @macchiaz-o kicking back on their patios, sipping a cold drink and saying, "Tell me more about these cold temps." Not that I'd do anything like that, nope, not me. :p

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Reading through this thread, I'm picturing @Kamuelaflyer and @macchiaz-o kicking back on their patios, sipping a cold drink and saying, "Tell me more about these cold temps." Not that I'd do anything like that, nope, not me. :p
It gets cold here. We have winter clothes.

Ford Mustang Mach-E It is a sad, sad day in the Dimwit household… 1647134557919

leeman

First Name
Leith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I installed myself a 240 V plug-in charging at home with the Ford standard adapters meant just great.

OP
OP
JoeDimwit

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
On a serious note, why is your charging station OUTSIDE your garage? Clearly you live in a cold climate. Why not keep the car and the charge station inside where it’s warm?
Because, although it looks like a garage, that is actually a workout room with 3 deep freezers full of meat and vegetables.

Thor2j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT , Ford Raptor
Country flag
I've seen it use 8-10kWh on a cold night. That could cost me $55 a month. I'm sure it would be more if I parked it outside instead of in the garage.
How are you tracking it. Reason I keep asking questions is I plug mine in all the time. Garage doesn't get below 40. My electric bill went through the roof. Chargepoint app doesn't seem to show the useage for keeping battery temp.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How are you tracking it. Reason I keep asking questions is I plug mine in all the time. Garage doesn't get below 40. My electric bill went through the roof. Chargepoint app doesn't seem to show the useage for keeping battery temp.
My ChargePoint app does. If your car is pulling any power through the ChargePoint, it should show up in the app.

Thor2j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT , Ford Raptor
Country flag
My ChargePoint app does. If your car is pulling any power through the ChargePoint, it should show up in the app.
Ok, then mine is not pulling anything keeping battery warm. Maybe becasue garage doesnt go below 40. It goes up when. I remote start it. I can see that on graph.

PupSideDown

First Name
Peggy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium, ER, RW, Grabber Blue
Occupation
NNP, retired
Country flag
Does the app only track home charging usage if you have a ChargePoint charger?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does the app only track home charging usage if you have a ChargePoint charger?
It tracks usage of a home ChargePoint charger and commercial ChargePoint chargers that are used elsewhere. But it doesn’t track other brands if that’s what you’re asking.
Sponsored