It soon will be cheaper to drive my Ford Maverick hybrid than my MME

Gene Bank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
Here in New England, our utilities get much of their energy from natural gas. That has become much more costly so last month our electric rates went up 40% to around .23kwh. I charge my MME at night and get a discounted rate of .19kwh. On November 1rst a even higher rate kicks in with our winter rate. I don't know what that will be yet.

Meantime crude fell to $78 a barrel next week. Gas prices keep falling and the first stations are starting to post $3 a gallon gas. That should accelerate next week.

I bought my MME in March, but here in NH, I expect a big range reduction with the cold weather. This all means that it will soon be cheaper to drive my ICE Maverick hybrid than my MME. Love this car but the big price savings I was boosting to friends about this summer are going away.
Sponsored

Arsenic17

First Name
Arsenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT 2023 Vapor Blue
Country flag
Here in CO electric prices are about $0.12/kWh. When I did the math, gasoline would have to cost something like $0.90/gallon to be the same cost per mile as the MME here. Regardless, I have adequate solar anyways so the point doesn't matter so much to me

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
My PV system is over-generating. Essentially, if I don’t use it I lose it during year-end true-up. Given that, my MME fuel is free. 😊🐩

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium ER Mach E, '21 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Here in New England, our utilities get much of their energy from natural gas. That has become much more costly so last month our electric rates went up 40% to around .23kwh. I charge my MME at night and get a discounted rate of .19kwh. On November 1rst a even higher rate kicks in with our winter rate. I don't know what that will be yet.

Meantime crude fell to $78 a barrel next week. Gas prices keep falling and the first stations are starting to post $3 a gallon gas. That should accelerate next week.

I bought my MME in March, but here in NH, I expect a big range reduction with the cold weather. This all means that it will soon be cheaper to drive my ICE Maverick hybrid than my MME. Love this car but the big price savings I was boosting to friends about this summer are going away.
Today I learned that in cold states they charge more for WINTER than SUMMER rates! Who knew??!? Been in California my whole life and always just assumed summer had higher electricity rates.

I totally can this as the perfect storm in your situation. Here gas is still >$5/gallon, my electricity overnight is only 12c and will be 9.5c in winter, and we will only see limited range reduction in winter on the battery (only about 5 nights a year where it even drops below freezing). And the Mav is rated 42MPG in the city! My F150 hybrid is still only rated 24MPG and I never get that high.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
My PV system is over-generating. Essentially, if I don’t use it I lose it during year-end true-up. Given that, my MME fuel is free. 😊🐩
Do you own your solar panels or are you paying per kWh generated? I’m in CT and am paying $0.174 per generated kWh off my solar, which is compared to $0.26 per kWh utility delivered rate. CT is very high for electricity.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Do you own your solar panels or are you paying per kWh generated? I’m in CT and am paying $0.174 per generated kWh off my solar, which is compared to $0.26 per kWh utility delivered rate. CT is very high for electricity.
The bank owns them, but pretty soon they will be mine. My monthly payment is about 30§ less than what my electricity cost before the install. Of course, we are using less juice than before since some people have passed away. 😊🐩

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Y'all should count your blessings. Here in California our rates just keep going up and up and up. Luckily for me, I live in SMUD area which is less, but still moving up in price.

Typical electrical bills in California are about $400 - $1000 /month with an EV.

SoCal Edison:

Ford Mustang Mach-E It soon will be cheaper to drive my Ford Maverick hybrid than my MME 1664135370563

PG&E:

Ford Mustang Mach-E It soon will be cheaper to drive my Ford Maverick hybrid than my MME 1664135384920

Last edited:

CompilerBreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
Dang, and here I was annoyed the MME bumped me into the higher rate tier $0.09->$0.11. Not sure how viable solar is for you OP, but if I had those rates around here I'd be considering it. You might also look into some of the home battery systems to let you better take use of those off peak rates.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
44¢ per kWh minimum here with a rate hike coming. Still cheaper than gas.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Gasoline Example: 40mpg @ $3/gallon. = .075/mile

Electric Example: 3mi/kwh @ .23/kwh = .076/mile (not accounting for losses)

Yup, gasoline could be cheaper. If I had to pick between the fun factor of a 40mpg vehicle though and my EV? EV...any day...all day...every day.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
You are correct. I am in Maine where are rates are similar. My Mach E’s were equivalent to about 2.0 mi/kWh in cold winter time, so that’s 11.7 cents per mile. Your Maverick will get 40 mpg, which at $3.50=$.088/ mile. My power is free from work so I am about $.01/mile. I do have a Maverick on order too. But do not think the gov’t is going to allow gas to stay down. After Election Day, expect rates to get back to $5.00/gallon. But still at $5, it’s equal to the Mach E.

OP
OP

Gene Bank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
Our house is not suited for solar. I know that is the way to go. With the big electric rate increases the demand for solar is skyrocketing around here. Of course in a northern climate with 85" of snow that cover roofs in winter, solar is not as efficient as places further south. That being said, solar is a no brainer if your house has a southern exposure.

Kalaua_Farms

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select RWD Standard, 2017 Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Retired Hospice Executive
Country flag
44¢ per kWh minimum here with a rate hike coming. Still cheaper than gas.
HECO Rates on Oahu are about $.325 for residential. We are grandfathered on Net Metering. We overproduce by more than we anticipate that we will need for our 2nd EV. So we will essentially have "free" solar powered cars. IF the MME gets here before Sol goes off main sequence.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
HECO Rates on Oahu are about $.325 for residential. We are grandfathered on Net Metering. We overproduce by more than we anticipate that we will need for our 2nd EV. So we will essentially have "free" solar powered cars. IF the MME gets here before Sol goes off main sequence.
The area we live in had all available net metering units sucked up by a medium-sized private solar farm used for a residential development's water system deep pumps -- nothing is available to us. I have my car set to charge during off-peak hours ( 9 am to 5 pm) but even then only after our house batteries (BlueIon) are fully charged. So I'm essentially not paying to charge up. But without that juggling things can get expensive for those without solar.

Fordmaybe

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No ford yet
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag

Which supplier are you using. For me I have Eversource and rates are .31 per delivered. I have solar so rates do nor effect me with net metering. Payback on solar with lower gas prices in the big picture although Eversource does not have time of usage here in Manchester.
Sponsored