Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No ford yet
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Our house is not suited for solar. I know that is the way to go. With the big electric rate increases the demand for solar is skyrocketing around here. Of course in a northern climate with 85" of snow that cover roofs in winter, solar is not as efficient as places further south. That being said, solar is a no brainer if your house has a southern exposure.
My house is east/west and still are owed cash from Eversource.

Southern92

First Name
Jeffery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW i3
Country flag
I always luv & encourage these types of discussions, but comparing a MME & a Maverick is apples to carrots. (Unless one owns both, which I suppose is the OPs point.)
I was getting 3.1 M/kWh in my GTPE. I have to imagine that would be better than I would get in a 2022 ICE GT?

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
We’re at $.0634/KWh so I’ve done those calcs and everything evens out after 10 years if I drove the MME and saved $40K in fuel or bought a MAVHYB at 1/2 the price and 1/2 the fuel economy. But either would be trashed with nearly 300,000 miles. Late spring to early fall I’m averaging 4.0 mi/KWh. 3.5 winter. My mpge is pretty stout and easily 2X the Maverick hybrid.

OP
OP

Gene Bank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
Which supplier are you using. For me I have Eversource and rates are .31 per delivered. I have solar so rates do nor effect me with net metering. Payback on solar with lower gas prices in the big picture although Eversource does not have time of usage here in Manchester.
Luckily I use New Hampshire Electric Coop. So they are less than Eversource. They have a program of EV's too. They gave me $1000 when I bought my MME and $300 towards installing a separate meter and a discount on electric if I charge at night. Still .19Kwh is so much more than most people pay in the USA

jbooth

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit, Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Here in New England, our utilities get much of their energy from natural gas. That has become much more costly so last month our electric rates went up 40% to around .23kwh. I charge my MME at night and get a discounted rate of .19kwh. On November 1rst a even higher rate kicks in with our winter rate. I don't know what that will be yet.

Meantime crude fell to $78 a barrel next week. Gas prices keep falling and the first stations are starting to post $3 a gallon gas. That should accelerate next week.

I bought my MME in March, but here in NH, I expect a big range reduction with the cold weather. This all means that it will soon be cheaper to drive my ICE Maverick hybrid than my MME. Love this car but the big price savings I was boosting to friends about this summer are going away.
Your math is including the winter "cold" (aka heater) cost on the mach. Are you including the same penalty for the truck? Getting various estimates but 15% worse sounded like a passable estimate? Gotta warm up that cold engine and fluids before things are working at their (cold-weather) peak efficiency.

If you can time your charging on the mme closer to when you leave, you can re-use some of the waste heat (or the car heating the battery to charge, whatever) rather than letting it dissipate into your garage.

My understanding from an admittedly less snowy climate was that solar panels tended to "self-clean" on sunny days in the winter. Enough energy makes it through the snow to start warming the panel and melting the snow off. As a side-benefit, free panel cleaning!

redranger04g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME SR RWD Ice White, 2015 Ford F-150
Country flag
Y'all should count your blessings. Here in California our rates just keep going up and up and up. Luckily for me, I live in SMUD area which is less, but still moving up in price.

Typical electrical bills in California are about $400 - $1000 /month with an EV.

SoCal Edison:

Ford Mustang Mach-E It soon will be cheaper to drive my Ford Maverick hybrid than my MME Screenshot_20220925-150032_Chrome

PG&E:

Ford Mustang Mach-E It soon will be cheaper to drive my Ford Maverick hybrid than my MME Screenshot_20220925-150032_Chrome
Hopefully you are using the prime rates you get for electric vehicles, which is much lower.
Ford Mustang Mach-E It soon will be cheaper to drive my Ford Maverick hybrid than my MME 11A3C74C-07A3-47C7-9EAC-72AC2E69AABB

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Hopefully you are using the prime rates you get for electric vehicles, which is much lower.
I don't live in Edison land ... I'm in Sacramento. My point was that California power is expensive. There's only 3 states ranked more expensive, HI, CT and ME. In the last year CA has seen a 25.4% increase in cost per kW.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
You are correct. I am in Maine where are rates are similar. My Mach E’s were equivalent to about 2.0 mi/kWh in cold winter time, so that’s 11.7 cents per mile. Your Maverick will get 40 mpg, which at $3.50=$.088/ mile. My power is free from work so I am about $.01/mile. I do have a Maverick on order too. But do not think the gov’t is going to allow gas to stay down. After Election Day, expect rates to get back to $5.00/gallon. But still at $5, it’s equal to the Mach E.
Yep, gas is cheap now for two reasons: government selling the SPR (strategic petroleum reserve), which has been significantly depleted and likely will stop after the election day; and also expectation of deep recession (unemployed people don't need gasoline). Since the supply remains very tight and recession fears are mostly priced in, the prices have nowhere to go but up.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
I also have an Escape PHEV, which is the ICE equivalent to the Mach-E from a utilitarian perspective (same platform as the Maverick too). In hybrid-only mode, it averages ~42MPG worst case.

I put together a quick excel spreadsheet and at my current utility rates, gas would have to be $1.76 for the escape to be the cheaper option vs L2 charging at home or my utility rates would have to increase to $0.25/kw for the cost to be equal.

Based on the off-peak Sacramento prices ($0.33) posted above, gas would be cheaper at $4.47/gal.

Monke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
I just traded my hybrid Maverick for MME.
Great minds think alike. I got rid of my hybrid Maverick after two months and got a MME. Maverick was noisy, slow, bad mpg. I can charge MME for free at home during off peaks. No more waiting in line for cheap gas at wholesale lot. Free is better than cheap!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Here in New England, our utilities get much of their energy from natural gas. That has become much more costly so last month our electric rates went up 40% to around .23kwh. I charge my MME at night and get a discounted rate of .19kwh. On November 1rst a even higher rate kicks in with our winter rate. I don't know what that will be yet.

Meantime crude fell to $78 a barrel next week. Gas prices keep falling and the first stations are starting to post $3 a gallon gas. That should accelerate next week.

I bought my MME in March, but here in NH, I expect a big range reduction with the cold weather. This all means that it will soon be cheaper to drive my ICE Maverick hybrid than my MME. Love this car but the big price savings I was boosting to friends about this summer are going away.
Can you choose your energy provider? If so, sign up for a renewable energy company for your electricity. We did and pay less than the local average.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Today I learned that in cold states they charge more for WINTER than SUMMER rates! Who knew??!? Been in California my whole life and always just assumed summer had higher electricity rates.

I totally can this as the perfect storm in your situation. Here gas is still >$5/gallon, my electricity overnight is only 12c and will be 9.5c in winter, and we will only see limited range reduction in winter on the battery (only about 5 nights a year where it even drops below freezing). And the Mav is rated 42MPG in the city! My F150 hybrid is still only rated 24MPG and I never get that high.
Exact opposite in Missouri. It gets into the teens here often in the winter and my rate is 12c/kWh in the summer. The winter rate is ~8.5c/kWh for the first 750kWh then only ~5.5c/kWh after that. I use roughly 1000-1500kWh per month in the winter depending on a bunch of factors so that savings is huge.
Sponsored