It soon will be cheaper to drive my Ford Maverick hybrid than my MME

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Upstate NY here. Just checked my national grid bill. It is up higher than I have ever seen it. $0.123 for supply and $0.073 for delivery. Almost 20 cents per kWhr! Last time I checked the rates (springtime) it was around $0.14 per kwHr. I didn't realize it had gone up so much!

Still way cheaper than gas, especially in my truck! (Around 25 cents per mile in the truck and 10 cents per mile in the Mach-e even in the worst of winter).
Sponsored

lukew

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E CR1 Red
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Glad that NJ's electricity is still mostly Nuclear. It remains a terrible shame what 70's and 80's "environmentalism" did to real world renewables :(

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
It’s been a few years since I over produced, but when I did, PG&E cut me a check for the overage. It was at a wholesale rate which was way less than what they charged. I do know I had to request the check, they didn’t just send it out.
I have been asking for years and keep getting the same answer. Oh well. The whole reason I bought a plug-in car was because my dad died. 😕🐩

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Here in New England, our utilities get much of their energy from natural gas. That has become much more costly so last month our electric rates went up 40% to around .23kwh. I charge my MME at night and get a discounted rate of .19kwh. On November 1rst a even higher rate kicks in with our winter rate. I don't know what that will be yet.

Meantime crude fell to $78 a barrel next week. Gas prices keep falling and the first stations are starting to post $3 a gallon gas. That should accelerate next week.

I bought my MME in March, but here in NH, I expect a big range reduction with the cold weather. This all means that it will soon be cheaper to drive my ICE Maverick hybrid than my MME. Love this car but the big price savings I was boosting to friends about this summer are going away.
So, have you calculated the cost comparison or are is this just a gut feeling?

OP
OP

Gene Bank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
So, have you calculated the cost comparison or are is this just a gut feeling?
Let's say my electric rate is .20kwh and my MME averages 3.5 miles per kwh. So 35 miles would be $2, 70 miles would be $4. Taking everything else as equal if gas comes down to $3 a gallon that would be about 52 miles equivalent. Am I missing something?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Let's say my electric rate is .20kwh and my MME averages 3.5 miles per kwh. So 35 miles would be $2, 70 miles would be $4. Taking everything else as equal if gas comes down to $3 a gallon that would be about 52 miles equivalent. Am I missing something?
That comes out to about $0.057 per mile for the MME.

The EPA estimate on the Maverick is 37 mpg. At $3.00/gal. that would be $0.081 per mile.
Gas prices in NH where you live are averaging $3.50 and gas prices have stabilized across the country. They would have to drop to $2.15 per gallon to get the same cost per mile in a hybrid Maverick as the MME.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Our house is not suited for solar. I know that is the way to go. With the big electric rate increases the demand for solar is skyrocketing around here. Of course in a northern climate with 85" of snow that cover roofs in winter, solar is not as efficient as places further south. That being said, solar is a no brainer if your house has a southern exposure.
Southern roof exposure is not a requirement for solar. Our roof exposure is east and west. We have a 10.695kW array. We produce more energy than we consume. Utility company pays a whopping 5mils/kWh (essentially one sixth the cost of their next cheapest source, coal) for 80% of the energy we give them. Such a deal (for them).
House faces south. Great passive solar in winter. Have to use an awning in summer. Heat pump for heating/cooling.
100% electric from solar. No fossil fuels for energy.
Two EVs, charge directly from solar production (vast majority of the time one EV is taking electrons from the solar panels; alternate EVs). And the heat pump draws electrons directly from solar at the same time (produce 3-8kW daytime, 20- 60 kWh/day; 67MWh to date[~4 years]).
Had to go to war with utility company. Of course, the war is ongoing. CO is now a CARB state. We are now "permitted" 200% solar and no restrictions on (house)batteries. Hope to add additional panels next year.
Battery storage is the high cost of renewable energy. Battery costs will become more reasonable when we take away control from CoalOilGasUtility (COGU), especially solid state.
And (hope to) combine it all with a bidirectional EV.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
3.5 miles per kWh is a little high for what many owners repot on this forum. A 3.1 figure would net you 31 miles at $2.00. Those Phev owners often report on over 58 mpg figures which can challenge who is cheaper

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
44¢ per kWh minimum here with a rate hike coming. Still cheaper than gas.
Is gas over $6/gallon in Hawaii? I thought it was expensive here in California.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
Holy cow! If you use the EPA's energy equivalence factor of 33.7kWh = 1 gallon of gas, then:
33.7 * 46c = $15.50 per gallon equivalent!

So is the only way to come out ahead in HI to have solar?
That isn't what the 'energy equivalence factor' means. It means a gallon gas CONTAINS 33.7kwh of energy. But an ICE is only around 20% efficient. An EV can get around 100-130 miles on that 33.7kwh. Even the very best ICE is going to only get around 40-50 miles on that same 33.7kwh of energy stored in a gallon of gas.

You can really only compare gas to electric if you have an MPG for a typical ICE vehicle. But those can vary from 15-50 MPG, so you can really get whatever number you want.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Is gas over $6/gallon in Hawaii? I thought it was expensive here in California.
Not routinely. But very close to $6 all the time. 30% of the crude used in Hawaii came from Russia apparently. No clue why as that used to be the percentage we took in from Malaysia. 🤷‍♂️

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
That isn't what the 'energy equivalence factor' means. It means a gallon gas CONTAINS 33.7kwh of energy. But an ICE is only around 20% efficient. An EV can get around 100-130 miles on that 33.7kwh. Even the very best ICE is going to only get around 40-50 miles on that same 33.7kwh of energy stored in a gallon of gas.

You can really only compare gas to electric if you have an MPG for a typical ICE vehicle. But those can vary from 15-50 MPG, so you can really get whatever number you want.
Any thoughts on a good comparison vehicle? I have been tracking my charging in a spreadsheet. I initially jotted down the EPA rates for the Escape to compare to, but if staying in the Ford family and looking for a comparable ICE vehicle, would an Edge be a closer option?
Sponsored