jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
... The First Editions were available both in US and Europe to preorder and it would seem that they were 'sold out' by the end of November. ...
It was sold out in the US in that time frame (something like 10 days). However it wasn't until late December in Europe that the FE was sold out. At least for this year (2020). Ford is reserving more for Europe because it costs them not to (because of non EV sales they do), even if demand in the US is higher for the mach e.
Sponsored

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
It was sold out in the US in that time frame (something like 10 days). However it wasn't until late December in Europe that the FE was sold out. At least for this year (2020). Ford is reserving more for Europe because it costs them not to (because of non EV sales they do), even if demand in the US is higher for the mach e.
That may turn out to be true, but we can't assume more were reserved for the EU than the US merely because it took longer to sell out there.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That may turn out to be true, but we can't assume more were reserved for the EU than the US merely because it took longer to sell out there.
True... only that Ford sold out quicker of first editions in the US than they sold out elsewhere. So there was obviously a cap per region, but doesn't strictly imply which cap was larger.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have read that 60% first year production is destined for EU, so that leaves only 40% for US. Canada and Mexico. So 50,000 MME is roughly a bit over 4,000 a month production

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
I believe the limitation on sales is the availability of batteries for the MME. Even if they could sell more of them, they are limited by the number of vehicle batteries they have available, not by the amount of factory time / space they have available.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I believe the limitation on sales is the availability of batteries for the MME. Even if they could sell more of them, they are limited by the number of vehicle batteries they have available, not by the amount of factory time / space they have available.
Yep. And let's face it... as much as those of us in a forum dedicated to the Mach-e like the vehicle, that doesn't mean there's enough broader consumer demand for more than 50,000/yr yet. It's still an expensive vehicle, and BEVs are still a dramatic paradigm shift that most consumers aren't used to yet, with a different set of pros and cons to adjust to.

Ford is prudent to ease in with 50,000 2021's first, even if they could produce more first-year's.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yep. And let's face it... as much as those of us in a forum dedicated to the Mach-e like the vehicle, that doesn't mean there's enough broader consumer demand for more than 50,000/yr yet. It's still an expensive vehicle, and BEVs are still a dramatic paradigm shift that most consumers aren't used to yet, with a different set of pros and cons to adjust to.

Ford is prudent to ease in with 50,000 2021's first, even if they could produce more first-year's.
I think consumer demand would be fine with adjusting to most of the pro/cos of driving full BEV except the initial purchase price. The Mach E is over 50% more than a comparable ICE (as are most BEV, ie: a $30k Chevy Bolt compares to a $20k ICE). Until that delta is below 20% it will be a hard sell to 80% of the market, especially on the high volume low price side. Until then, vehicles like the Toyota Prime hybrid with limited pure EV range will probably sell better. That said, IMHO hybrid technology always ends up being short sighted niche by manufacturers, only good for a short time (several years) before the newer technology comes down in price.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That said, IMHO hybrid technology always ends up being short sighted niche by manufacturers, only good for a short time (several years) before the newer technology comes down in price.
I wouldn't say "short-sighted" as much as a "practical reality" until better technology comes along to make up for slow BEV charging times (what I consider the #1 drawback to BEVs, now that they've got range up to a reasonable 250+ miles). Not a problem for home charging but still a big hindrance to longer drive charging.

The alternative to PHEV right now is staying with ICE (for those where a BEV isn't a good fit). Thus PHEV is still a useful bridge.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I wouldn't say "short-sighted" as much as a "practical reality" until better technology comes along to make up for slow BEV charging times (what I consider the #1 drawback to BEVs, now that they've got range up to a reasonable 250+ miles). Not a problem for home charging but still a big hindrance to longer drive charging.

The alternative to PHEV right now is staying with ICE (for those where a BEV isn't a good fit). Thus PHEV is still a useful bridge.
I agree that PHEV does provide a useful bridge. However, charging times and range are not that big a deal for most drivers -- they just don't know it. Having had a ~100 mile range Leaf for a couple of years, range is rarely a problem -- no more than a trip every couple of months would go beyond the range. Most drivers travel less than 30 miles each day. Even with the MME SR (or GT), 200+ miles and 20-80% charge in 40 minutes at a fast charger is far beyond most needs of drivers. For those who haven't experienced it, the advantage of having a full "tank" every morning is great. Folks who haven't experienced it don't realize it.

Reactions: abr

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree that PHEV does provide a useful bridge. However, charging times and range are not that big a deal for most drivers -- they just don't know it. Having had a ~100 mile range Leaf for a couple of years, range is rarely a problem -- no more than a trip every couple of months would go beyond the range. Most drivers travel less than 30 miles each day. Even with the MME SR (or GT), 200+ miles and 20-80% charge in 40 minutes at a fast charger is far beyond most needs of drivers. For those who haven't experienced it, the advantage of having a full "tank" every morning is great. Folks who haven't experienced it don't realize it.
Completely agree about overnight home charging. Or workplace, or anyone else where they securely leave their vehicle for hours while they go off to sleep/work/etc.

On-demand charging, however, is a totally different matter. Most people won't have interest in sitting around for 20-40 minute refuel stops, even if they don't have to do it very often.

The other problem, of course, is lots of people don't have the home/work L2 charging that's crucial to making a BEV worth considering. People that have a house and a garage are in great shape. But most everyone else, not so much. When people get home (or to work), they'll need a secure, dedicated, guaranteed charge to be confident that they can always get a charge.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
EV enthusiasts/activists aren't the average Joe though. Yes, some are happy to make those sacrifices "for the cause", but I'm talking about mainstream acceptance. And I think a 20-40 minute refuel time is gonna be a showstopper for most.

BUT... if they're in position to do virtually all of their refuels with 8-hour charges while home sleeping, or at work, and don't need to do slow on-demand fillups at a station, then it's whole different matter. And that will be the mainstream market for BEVs IMO. Not people that need to charge at public stations.

That's also true from a financial benefit perspective. Retail charging is pricey compared to at-home residential charging. One of the big selling points of BEVs for mainstream buyers is fuel cost savings compared to gasoline. But only at cheaper residential rates. EA charging can cost as much or more than gasoline.

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 GTPE
Country flag
@LYTMCQ @dbsb3233 @ChasingCoral - on the topic of home charging, in London, UK, some councils have started installing charge points on street lamps, which is great for local residents who only have on street parking. In UK cities, most of the parking is on street, so this is a really great initiative that’s should help a lot of people make the switch. I think they’ve only installed 1000 so far, but it’s a good start.
Sponsored

Last edited: