Jan 2022 Delivery - Fed Tax Credit

wombats3

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: Mach E Premium EX AWD (Dark Matter Gray)
Country flag
I just heard from my dealer that it's looking like my order is going to be scheduled for production on Dec. 6, and that she's estimating delivery of the car in early January. On one hand, I'm excited as this is earlier than I was expecting. I submitted my order for a Premium Extended AWD on August 27. My order was converted to a 2022 and my dealer had a priority code of 10 assigned to it. She told me today Ford has since moved the priority up to 1, so it will be one of the first 2022's built.

On the other hand, I'm a little concerned with not knowing what the federal tax credit might look like in 2022. The $7,500 is great as-is, but I'm worried about the $40k value limit and the $100k income limit being thrown around. If either of those go through, I'm out of luck.

Does anyone know when they need to make a decision on this for it to go into effect for 2022? Can they change it on Dec. 15 and have it be active on Jan. 1? Can they roll it out in 2022 and have it be active right away? Just not sure how all of this works. Thanks for any insight!
Sponsored

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I just heard from my dealer that it's looking like my order is going to be scheduled for production on Dec. 6, and that she's estimating delivery of the car in early January. On one hand, I'm excited as this is earlier than I was expecting. I submitted my order for a Premium Extended AWD on August 27. My order was converted to a 2022 and my dealer had a priority code of 10 assigned to it. She told me today Ford has since moved the priority up to 1, so it will be one of the first 2022's built.

On the other hand, I'm a little concerned with not knowing what the federal tax credit might look like in 2022. The $7,500 is great as-is, but I'm worried about the $40k value limit and the $100k income limit being thrown around. If either of those go through, I'm out of luck.

Does anyone know when they need to make a decision on this for it to go into effect for 2022? Can they change it on Dec. 15 and have it be active on Jan. 1? Can they roll it out in 2022 and have it be active right away? Just not sure how all of this works. Thanks for any insight!
Hello non-US folks, this is a US-specific topic. ?

my educated answer is ?‍♀

all kidding aside right now literally nobody really has any clue. Congress could in theory pass something on December 31 that impacts the 2022 tax year. Everything is very much in the air and in transition right now.

I would suggest that making a decision right now based on the tax credit would be very risky if it's make-or-break for you.

There are some on here that will tell you that if you "need" the credit, you can't afford the car. I don't agree with that take, but I'm putting it out there before someone else hits you with it.

OrchidMania

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Premium ER
Occupation
Retired IT, School Math Volunteer
Country flag

Wow my dealer told me my priority code was 10 when converted, hope Ford moves to 1
I thought scheduling for 2022 production dates are next week.... Do you have a vin? Or is your dealer seeing the priority move ?

OP
OP

wombats3

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wow my dealer told me my priority code was 10 when converted, hope Ford moves to 1
I thought scheduling for 2022 production dates are next week.... Do you have a vin? Or is your dealer seeing the priority move ?
I don't have a VIN yet as it hasn't officially been scheduled yet. My dealer said it's "previewed to be scheduled on 12/6' which is what they typically see a day or two before it's actually scheduled.

OP
OP

wombats3

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hello non-US folks, this is a US-specific topic. ?

my educated answer is ?‍♀

all kidding aside right now literally nobody really has any clue. Congress could in theory pass something on December 31 that impacts the 2022 tax year. Everything is very much in the air and in transition right now.

I would suggest that making a decision right now based on the tax credit would be very risky if it's make-or-break for you.

There are some on here that will tell you that if you "need" the credit, you can't afford the car. I don't agree with that take, but I'm putting it out there before someone else hits you with it.
I get that, and I don't completely agree with that either.

I guess at the end of the day I'm wondering can they make a change in 2022 that will go into effect that same year? By the time I sign for my car on January 15, for example, will I know what the credit will be at that time or could it still change?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I get that, and I don't completely agree with that either.

I guess at the end of the day I'm wondering can they make a change in 2022 that will go into effect that same year? By the time I sign for my car on January 15, for example, will I know what the credit will be at that time or could it still change?
yes, I believe it's reasonable that we will know by January 1 what the situation for 2022 looks like.

I am not an accountant or a congressman. ;)

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Yes, it’s possible the rules can change retroactively. In practice, the only retroactive changes Congress makes are clear wins, like a tax cut.

The likelihood that Congress takes away a tax rebate from someone who qualified at the time of purchase are extremely low, in my opinion.

A forward looking change though is very plausible, like if they pass a law in December tightening up eligibility starting in January. But a change in March saying, sorry, your January purchase no longer qualifies? Extremely unlikely for political reasons, but probably legal if they wanted to do it.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yes, it’s possible the rules can change retroactively. In practice, the only retroactive changes Congress makes are clear wins, like a tax cut.

The likelihood that Congress takes away a tax rebate from someone who qualified at the time of purchase are extremely low, in my opinion.

A forward looking change though is very plausible, like if they pass a law in December tightening up eligibility starting in January. But a change in March saying, sorry, your January purchase no longer qualifies? Extremely unlikely for political reasons, but probably legal if they wanted to do it.
I was going to go down the "retroactive" rabbit hole but it felt like in this case for the exact reasons you state it felt sufficiently unlikely.

Reactions: ARK

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Yeah. Who knows... I probably will get censored for "politics" but if the "people of the D" would stop blaming Manchin for holding stuff up and just banish the filibuster like they spouted about doing for the 4 years "The Evil One" was in charge, they could just ram this crap through and get a rubber stamp or auto pen signature from gramps, but they are too cowardly to kill the 'buster and get sh** done, LIKE THEY PROMISED THEY'D DO, if they were given a Lock on D.C.
With majority in the House they are fighting amongst other Ds... and they have the slimmest majority in the Senate, but Uncle Chuck won't pull the trigger on just killing the 'buster to shut the Rs up (they need to do some old fashioned back room wrangling to get Manchin and that Arizona chick in line!)...
So meanwhile, the Federal EV Tax Rebate will fade away, and they'll probably pee away all next year also and get nothing done, then they'll loose at least one chamber but then, low and behold, they'll then blame the Rs as the reason nothing got done... when it was their own infighting that held up their Earth-Saving Agenda!!!
Boo!
I want the $12,500 Federal EV Tax Rebate NOW! Just keep printing paper cash, and keep begging the ChiComs to keep buying our debt so I can get my 12k for my GTPE!!!!

Last edited:

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
I check the Google News Feed on the ev Rebate topic once a week at least.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I want the $12,500 Federal EV Tax Rebate NOW! Just keep printing paper cash, and keep begging the ChiComs to keep buying our debt so I can get my 12k for my GTPE!!!!
Never going to happen. The proposed new credit gives $2,500 for a US-based plant (not the Mach-E), and another $2,500 for a US-based plant that is unionized (not the Mach-E).

This may help the Lightning, which would be nice for those contemplating buying one.

Dancefreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Star White Premium extended battery eAWD
Country flag
Yeah. Who knows... I probably will get censored for "politics" but if the "people of the D" would stop blaming Manchin for holding stuff up and just banish the filibuster like they spouted about doing for the 4 years "The Evil One" was in charge, they could just ram this crap through and get a rubber stamp or auto pen signature from gramps, but they are too cowardly to kill the 'buster and get sh** done, LIKE THEY PROMISED THEY'D DO, if they were given a Lock on D.C.
Ending the filibuster would make no difference in this situation because they still need 50 votes (+ Harris) regardless and that includes Manchin. And they're using reconciliation here so the filibuster isn't even a factor anyway.

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Yeah, even so... if only it were the 'Good Ole Days' when these few 'posers' weren't allowed to stop good things from getting passed.
And this situation is even worse since it's Reconciliation, this should already have been done back in March or April of 2021!!!!!! But their own people are standing in the way...
Sponsored

Last edited: