Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Jeep is installing EV chargers at off-road trailheads throughout the US | Engadget

Alongside the arrival of the Jeep Wrangler 4xe hybrid, Jeep says it's installing EV charging stations at off-road trailheads across the US. The automaker is working with Electrify America to roll out the Jeep 4xe Charging Network. The stations will either be connected to the power grid or run on solar.

The first stations will open this spring at Moab, Utah, and Big Bear and the Rubicon Trail in Pollock Pines, both in California. The chargers will pop up at more Jeep Badge of Honor off-road trails over the next year.

This is a welcome move for folks who want to take their EV off the beaten path. The Jeep Wrangler 4xe has 49 MPGe and 21 miles of all-electric range. It'll take about two hours to fully recharge the hybrid's 17 kWh battery using the 240V charger. Jeep 4xe owners can top up the battery for free through a mobile app. Jeep says the stations will be compatible with its future EVs as well.

Meanwhile, Jeep appears to be working on an all-electric Wrangler. It revealed a concept for such an EV earlier this week.

----------------------------

commentary: there's another thread on here about Rivian's proprietary network where some have presented the position of "clearly Rivian couldn't partner with someone like EA, that would be crazy"... but here, that's exactly what Stellantis is doing. ?
Sponsored

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
Smart. Partner with EA, so you don't have to deal with all the headaches of operating the network, but get your own branded stations that others can still use. Good advertising and good service to its customers

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
EA has already been deploying these solar-powered Level 2 chargers (they're from Beam Solar) in California in "off-grid" sites.

I don't really personally find 240V charging particularly useful - and I really doubt anyone buying a Jeep PHEV is really going to stop and wait for it charge at the trailhead when they could just use their gas engine.

BUT - this puts the Jeep brand in a "green" light and puts Jeep billboards in places where off-roaders go. These are far more valuable as Jeep billboards than as actual charging stations.

Rivian's are certainly less obnoxious, and Rivian's Level 2 network will be equally open to all EVs. But I still doubt they'll get much use.

If these were DCFCs, like Rivian's exclusive network, I'd be far more excited.
Sponsored