Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I found lots of interesting tidbits in the Verge article. Would be worth a read for anyone...

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/20/22444294/ford-f150-lightning-pickup-truck-jim-farley-interview

"We did our first high-volume OTA for the F-150 and the Mach-E, and we solved a bunch of problems, like battery drains, that in the past would have taken a safety recall. So we’re really saving money, more than we thought, in improving quality. "

"The third thing I would say is we’re now realizing how important it is to have a dedicated group — far after job one — to make that customer OTA feature set better and better and better. So we get 10 more miles every year out of the range, we get four or five marquee customer experiences like BlueCruise that we OTA."
Sponsored

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I only recently found out that he's cousins to the late Chris Farley

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
I read the interview from beginning to end. I feel good about Jim Farley leading Ford, now and into the future. The one thing that caught my attention: He said Ford had to figure out how to be its own disruptor (rather than allowing a third party to be the disruptor). He is exactly right. Can you think of any bigger "disruptor" to the ICE market than the electric car/truck?

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Wow, I’m very impressed by Farley in this interview. Obviously he’s a smart man but his technical knowledge of the computer components and outlook on the tech industry is very encouraging. I regularly listen to the Verge podcast because I’m a tech-head and to hear him talk so excitedly about the Mach E and the F-150 and the future of electrification is great.
He even referenced the 12V low voltage software update people on this forum received.
Ford seems to be in very good hands.

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I read the interview from beginning to end. I feel good about Jim Farley leading Ford, now and into the future. The one thing that caught my attention: He said Ford had to figure out how to be its own disruptor (rather than allowing a third party to be the disruptor). He is exactly right. Can you think of any bigger "disruptor" to the ICE market than the electric car/truck?
Not just their own. I'm pretty sure a lot of screaming went on over at Tesla HQ today. They desperately started reaching out to cybertruck reservation holders and musk had tweet about how the new model S plaid will be the fastest production car ever just to try and get the spotlight away from Ford.

Wow, I’m very impressed by Farley in this interview. Obviously he’s a smart man but his technical knowledge of the computer components and outlook on the tech industry is very encouraging. I regularly listen to the Verge podcast because I’m a tech-head and to hear him talk so excitedly about the Mach E and the F-150 and the future of electrification is great.
He even referenced the 12V low voltage software update people on this forum received.
Ford seems to be in very good hands.
Most definitely. It's the reason you need to put someone at the top that not only came up through the ranks in the industry, but is actually genuinely emotionally invested in it.

He's a keeper.

88 KILOWATTS PER HOUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Chevy Bolt
Country flag
I’m really impressed by Ford right now. I think with the Lightning reveal, they might have taken the ‘legacy lead’ in the EV space. Meaning, of all the legacy automakers (Tesla isn’t legacy), they are the one turning the most heads. Before the Lightning reveal, I considered GM and VW to be in the EV lead.

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium STD RWD Shadow Black
Country flag
looking forward to my ford stock to go up. bought some shares when i bought my mustang-- i'm a ford fan for sure now

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Regarding the transition to the Android Automotive OS.... This isn't really an answer, lol. I need more info! Are we going to be able to upgrade to that, or not? (Please say yes...)

I buy a Mustang Mach-E today. Next year, you come out with a version that runs Android. You’ve already talked about upgradable cars. Will I be able to upgrade my current Sync 4, Sync 4A systems to the next version of Sync that runs on Android?

I think, generally speaking, the approach we want to take... it’s going be a lot simpler when we go to fully networked vehicles.

But the approach we want to make is that you’re always going to have that upgradability. There will be some transition, where the [system] on the vehicle is just not capable yet, or the embedded software is not capable yet to fully change the customer experience. But over time, that’s absolutely where we’re going. Android Auto is especially powerful in that regard as well [as] Google Automotive Services.

But Apple is going be out there doing similar things, and we’re going to do something maybe unique for Ford on commercial, because we want to insource that digital experience, because there’s no one out there that can do it better than us. So I would say philosophically, you can expect a yes, but it depends on what you buy and what you own, because there’s a transition period.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Regarding the transition to the Android Automotive OS.... This isn't really an answer, lol. I need more info! Are we going to be able to upgrade to that, or not? (Please say yes...)
They probably don't know yet. It's not like swapping out different wheels on the car, so they likely don't really know yet what it will take to do, and thus don't know if it is economically feasible yet.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
They probably don't know yet. It's not like swapping out different wheels on the car, so they likely don't really know yet what it will take to do, and thus don't know if it is economically feasible yet.
I know that, but it's not what I wanted to hear ? . Ah well.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
I read that interview and another huge take away is it seems like Ford is the first of the legacy automakers that seem to be taking electric cars VERY seriously.
One does not screw with huge brands like Mustang and F150 unless you are willing to risk it all and Ford is saying "We are coming to play hard and risking it all". They are very serious.
GM threw away what looked so promising with the Volt and the Bolt and then just sat on it. They come back with the Hummer which lets face it is a show piece but not something for us mortals. It is massive over kill.
Ford brought out the Mach E which lets face it is a great car and they are doing great at it. Follow by the F150 and making a true electric work truck. The towing is going to be an issue as range is hammered but for most everything else this is a great truck and could replace a lot of places fleet of F150's.
VW I think they are doing good things but are more meh in going electric. ID4 feels more like they are responding to diesel gate and trying. Ford on the other had goes big.
Mustang and F150 are huge names that ford is yet again showing they are serious about going Electric.

Radish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape
Country flag
I still haven’t seen a Mach-E in the wild. Have seen about 50 bronco sports though, I live in SC but the gas bronco definitely seems to be the more popular
Sponsored