Jim Farley: Watch how we are going to scale up our BEV capacity to 600,000 by the end of 2023

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
he did say vehicles sold in the US. not sure why that metric was chosen tho
Because that was what the article was focused on. :)

https://carsalesbase.com/us-tesla/

Tesla Sales Data & Trends for the U.S Automotive Market

Tesla Motors was founded in 2003 and started building electric cars in 2008, led by Elon Musk, who had made his fortune by founding PayPal and other tech companies. The brand has always made 100% electric cars, starting with the Tesla Roadster, based on the platform of the Lotus Elise. In 2012, the company started production of its first mass-market EV sedan, the Model S, which put Tesla on the map as a disruptor of the automobile industry. In the fourth quarter of 2015, the Model X SUV with gullwing rear doors was launched, followed by the
Personally, I'm more interested in what Ford does in the USA. For example, Ford makes a plug-in hybrid 2022 Explorer.

But it is not sold in North America. So it is useless to me. :rolleyes:

Simple as that.

samev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Guess it boils down to how well Ford manages the supply chain, and not screw up the rest within their control. No major innovation needed to sell 600K vehicles either, just copy many of the best features from Tesla & Hyundai EVs, and you are done.
Heard Ford is planning to install 12 exterior cameras next - that should enable something close to Tesla FSD (and sentry mode), if they can strengthen their SW team, that is. Longer-term, once BEVs become more mainstream, they'll have to start pricing them more competitively. Seems like Ford took aggressive steps to manage supply logistics and plan facility expansion, other than that it should now be all about executing the routine.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Not sure where these numbers come from, because Tesla shipped more than that in Q4 of 2021:
1645733162633.png

• Tesla deliveries by quarter 2021 | Statista
Yes, but Ford Worldwide sells 3.9 Million vehicles so to go from 50 thousand EVs in 2021, to 600,000 end of 23, that's a 1,200% increase. It took Tesla from 2009 to March 2020 to reach 1 Million Vehicles sold. I love Tesla, Elon is a spoon bender, but Ford From 50k to 600,000 in 36 months would be very impressive. While still putting out 4 Millon ICE, BEV, Hybrids in total. They should feel proud. Easy? No way, but that's what makes it fun.

Jimbo

First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium 4X
Country flag
So 600,000 BEV annual production by 2023? Less than 2 years from now?

Well, as you all know, since Tesla started production in 2008, it has only taken them 13 years to ramp up production to 302,000 annual units sold in the USA, in 2021. Hmmm. :)

Captur4.JPG
I agree it's a lofty goal, but this seems apples to oranges. Tesla had to scale up every aspect of their operations. Ford has to scale up their battery/electric stuff (partially alleviated by the fact that they largely outsource production of those components, unlike Tesla), but they've got proven capacity to produce over 2mil vehicles in general per annum, and have twice the number of employees Tesla does today.

Last edited:

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
As someone sitting in production from Jan 10, I have a hard time believing this. For 2022, it seems like they are having a rough time hitting the current production target. Something has to drastically change between now and the end of 2023 unless they are thinking of having parking lots full of incomplete cars to hit their 600K target.
Several family members worked at the Ford San Jose, CA - actually Milpitas - assembly plant from the 1950s before it closed mid '80s. I worked the graveyard shift for one summer. My dad told me that at the end of a Friday 1,100 cars were in the repair hold where minor to major defects needed to be corrected before the cars were released. By Monday morning only 400 had been repaired, meaning 700 were still in the repair hold.
"Hurry up to stop" occurs in every industry. Just is not effective business practice.
Sponsored