Job 1 owners - are you getting the numbered OTA updates?

mwtechy

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Mustang v6, 2021 Mustang MachE Premium AWD Ex
Country flag
I had my updates on hold last week due to traveling (3k miles down to key west and back..electrify america almost the entire way and very few issues). I got a notice of an update late last week though. Looks like I'm pending an install for 2.8.1 so guessing it will be completed tomorrow evening during my scheduled time. Great news! Last power up for me was in late July I think, quite a while ago. So I appear to be unstuck too.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Last edited:

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Oh yes, the “Let’s break CarPlay” update. I remember it well — every time I get in the car.
3.5.4.2 is what I am on but possibly in a different way. I had the car updated completely thru FDRS at the dealer then the 3.5's came in. Not really any problem with carplay streaming cd quality audio here to date. Have you toggled conductivity off and back on in sync (then soft boot)? I have found that has straighten carplay up for me a couple of times now. Carplay locks in a lot quicker now for me with the updates. Nothing is prefect and not stress tested on 3.5.4.2 or anything but has been working here OK so far.

I remember we had to hardwire for a bit at the start until it started working better. Maybe a workaround until fixed?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
3.5.4.2 is what I am on but possibly in a different way. I had the car updated completely thru FDRS at the dealer then the 3.5's came in. Not really any problem with carplay streaming cd quality audio here to date. Have you toggled conductivity off and back on in sync (then soft boot)? I have found that has straighten carplay up for me a couple of times now. Carplay locks in a lot quicker now for me with the updates. Nothing is prefect and not stress tested on 3.5.4.2 or anything but has been working here OK so far.

I remember we had to hardwire for a bit at the start until it started working better. Maybe a workaround until fixed?
I did pretty much everything you can think of including connectivity and I even disconnected the lvb. Tte latter worked for about 3 days. It’s back to as flakey as can be. This car was a poster child for how things were supposed to work (more or less) until that series of upsates. Now it’s no CarPlay and no PAAK.

I do know Ford is well aware of it as they sent me a series of emails to put the car in their advanced analytics program, except the last email with the instructions? Yeah they forgot to attach the instructions to rte email and haven’t responded to my inquiry about that. Hardly a confidence builder.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

zephiyr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium ER RWD
Country flag
I did pretty much everything you can think of including connectivity and I even disconnected the lvb. Tte latter worked for about 3 days. It’s back to as flakey as can be. This car was a poster change of for how things were supposed to work (more or less) until that series of upsates. Now it’s no CarPlay and no PAAK.

I do know Ford is well aware of it as they sent me a series of emails to put the car in their advanced analytics program, except the last email with the instructions? Yeah they forgot to attach the instructions to rte email and haven’t responded to my inquiry about that. Hardly a confidence builder.:rolleyes:
What symptoms did you see with CarPlay on 3.5.4.2? Just that it won't connect, or has a delayed connection when getting in the car? I use CarPlay all the time and is one of the highlights of the car so hopefully it is fixed soon.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I did pretty much everything you can think of including connectivity and I even disconnected the lvb. Tte latter worked for about 3 days. It’s back to as flakey as can be. This car was a poster change of for how things were supposed to work (more or less) until that series of upsates. Now it’s no CarPlay and no PAAK.

Sounds like they understand there is a problem with some. Also sounds like maybe forget it for a bit. Hardwire it and get that working again. Back to the basics. It was working so messing with your setup too quickly normally does nothing but add complexity with more possible combinations. If it was working and if nothing started to smoke it should again. ;)

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sounds like they understand there is a problem with some. Also sounds like maybe forget it for a bit. Hardwire it and get that working again. Back to the basics. It was working so messing with your setup too quickly normally does nothing but add complexity with more possible combinations. If it was working and if nothing started to smoke it should again. ;)
The problems I had were rather unexpected. I've had the 3.5.x series for a very long time now. Apparently, Otto cut to the front of the EA line or something. I waited a fair bit of time before engaging in self-help. Be all that as it may, it's misbehaving again.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What symptoms did you see with CarPlay on 3.5.4.2? Just that it won't connect, or has a delayed connection when getting in the car? I use CarPlay all the time and is one of the highlights of the car so hopefully it is fixed soon.
Slow connecting or non-connecting. It occasionally works fine. but almost never two legs of a drive in a row. Dropping mid-drive. Requiring a sync reboot to occasionally work. Sometimes multiple reboots, sometimes a reboot or series of reboots does nothing.

zephiyr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Slow connecting or non-connecting. It occasionally works fine. but almost never two legs of a drive in a row. Dropping mid-drive. Requiring a sync reboot to occasionally work. Sometimes multiple reboots, sometimes a reboot or series of reboots does nothing.
Wow not good. I'd rather stay on 2.x than have to deal with CarPlay that's broken that badly. I already have to reboot Sync when I park in the sun since the display won't turn on when it gets too hot.

mwtechy

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Mustang v6, 2021 Mustang MachE Premium AWD Ex
Country flag
After 2.8.1 I appear to have gotten 22-PU0727-VI-FXB and it enabled bluecruise. Used it for the first time last night, quite happy with it so far. Thanks again for pinging Ford on this!

OP
OP
06VistaGT

06VistaGT

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach E, '06 Mustang GT, '06 Explorer, '15 CRV
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
UPDATE:
As many have noted, Ford is finally pushing OTA updates to the stuck vehicles. Several folks on this forum who were in the list I sent to Ford have been updated and now have HFBC(!), though not all yet. It seems to be a matter of time.

On a personal note, I ended up going the dealer install route to get HFBC. Appointment was last week. And of course, the install was not done properly or there is an issue with one of the modules. They gave me the car back without verifying HFBC was working.

The dealer's position is they updated the modules per Ford's instructions and the issue is a bad module of some sort. As a result, i need to schedule a new appointment, which isnt available until late December.

I spent most of today "negotiating" with Ford Customer Service, the in-Car Connected Sevices team and the OTA team, as well as my dealer. No progress and I have pretty much run out of options.

So while the frustration continues for me, I hope most of you are able to get the OTA updates in the near future. And a continued "Thank You" for the forum members who have been helping me push this issue forward.

Jay

likescookies

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E, 2004 Camry
Country flag
I'm really happy to see that more Job 1s are catching up on OTAs--though jealous! Hoping I'm in the queue somewhere...

GW Shark

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER AWD Star White, 2014 Prius V
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Country flag
Thanks again, Jay and the group. I got 2.8.1 last week and the FXB one arrived Sunday. I got a call from Ford (left message) offering to turn BC on for free and they gave me a case number. They are going to call back tomorrow. Sorry you are having dealer/repair issues.

zephiyr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
UPDATE:
As many have noted, Ford is finally pushing OTA updates to the stuck vehicles. Several folks on this forum who were in the list I sent to Ford have been updated and now have HFBC(!), though not all yet. It seems to be a matter of time.

On a personal note, I ended up going the dealer install route to get HFBC. Appointment was last week. And of course, the install was not done properly or there is an issue with one of the modules. They gave me the car back without verifying HFBC was working.

The dealer's position is they updated the modules per Ford's instructions and the issue is a bad module of some sort. As a result, i need to schedule a new appointment, which isnt available until late December.

I spent most of today "negotiating" with Ford Customer Service, the in-Car Connected Sevices team and the OTA team, as well as my dealer. No progress and I have pretty much run out of options.

So while the frustration continues for me, I hope most of you are able to get the OTA updates in the near future. And a continued "Thank You" for the forum members who have been helping me push this issue forward.

Jay
Sorry, my coffee must not be working yet. What’s HFBC?
Sponsored