Just announced after ford announces special download 6 months after delivery

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Argo Al is on display in Pittsburgh, Pa. where it's headquarters are located. Self driving Fords have been roaming the streets for a couple of years now. Argo Al is also testing in Washington DC, Miami, Fl., Detroit, Mi., Palo Alto, Ca., Austin, Tx. Link: https://www.argo.ai/

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
This is an interesting article especially since Ford just announced that there will be a free delivery after 6 months of delivery that may involve a version of self driving.

https://fordauthority.com/2020/05/ford-and-volkswagen-alliance-officially-approved-by-vw-board/
I believe you are talking about the Mach E OTA that was mentioned, but in another article. This is about VW and Ford working together, which always made sense since VW has little US market share.

4pac

First Name
Sphen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE/TeslaY
Country flag
Ford isnt giving anything away for free, especially self driving if Tesla is charging 7000+ for it.

OP
OP

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Yes. I read an article the other day in reference to OTA. There was a quote from ford stating that their would be free OTA available about 6 months from delivery date. He would not state exactly what it will be but that it would be a free software update that both Tesla and GM charge for and it is assumed to be the self driving capability.

OP
OP

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
Yes. I read an article the other day in reference to OTA. There was a quote from ford stating that their would be free OTA available about 6 months from delivery date. He would not state exactly what it will be but that it would be a free software update that both Tesla and GM charge for and it is assumed to be the self driving capability.
My understanding is it would be a kind of level 2+ or level 3 self driving, which means you can drive hands off like Cadillac Super Cruise. This is not "self driving," but sufficient enough for most users. Other companies are planning to release this later in the year (Mercedes, Toyota/Lexus), and GM is releasing their upgraded Super Cruise to many more cars.

OP
OP

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
My understanding is it would be a kind of level 2+ or level 3 self driving, which means you can drive hands off like Cadillac Super Cruise. This is not "self driving," but sufficient enough for most users. Other companies are planning to release this later in the year (Mercedes, Toyota/Lexus), and GM is releasing their upgraded Super Cruise to many more cars.
Sorry your explanation on the specific type of driving is spot on. My REAL point is that it is indeed free and that it will be firmware that other companies like Tesla and GM charge to have.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I’m not convinced it’s free based on only this article.
It says “an additional Driver Assist capability that can be downloaded.” Can be is not will be. Can be implies optional, which could be for a cost “and delivered via electronic purchase.”

I’m really hoping the hands free driving capability update is free but I’m not sure.

Last edited:

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Not sure what feature GM charges to download. Yes you pay for various levels of OnStar but none of it is a download, its just addition things you can do with the cell link from your car back to GM.

There definately isn't any "firmware upgrade" I could purchase with the Bolt. (The 2019 version included the ability to set a charge to level in %--earlier model years couldn't do that and GM flatly refused to allow that feature to be "back flashed" into earlier model years.) Not sure about Supercruise: Is that enabled by a download? (I would think not as the car would need a bunch of hardware to go with it and I can't see GM shipping that hardware without charging the customer for it.)

Also note that when Ford came out with Sync 2, aka My Ford Touch, just about every update to that system was free (granted the first version was sooo bad they had to update it). Even after they booted the first vendor and brought in Microsoft those updates were still free (sadly the jump from Sync 2 to Sync 3 involved a complete new system (from Windows to QNX) and thus to upgrade you had to get a new car).

OP
OP

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I’m not convinced it’s free based on only this article.
It says “an additional Driver Assist capability that can be downloaded.” Can be is not will be. Can be implies optional, which could be for a cost “and delivered via electronic purchase.”

I’m really hoping the hands free driving capability update is free but I’m not sure.
technically you are correct based on the exact wording however I believe it will be free because the Mach E has been stated over and over again to be the new flagship of the Ford EV fleet. Ford wants to own the market. Giving something away with the purchase once again is GREAT marketing move. Ford is giving away the free 240 charger which Tesla charges for. I believe it is these little things that are convenient for the customer that will sell cars.

I am old enough to remember when electric windows and A/C were options. Now try buying a car without it? It is impossible. I see OTA in the same light. At first it was a cost option now it will be standard. This is how you sell cars. You give away something for free that the other guy charges for and eventually he will have to give it away as well to stay competitive.

Tesla has saved countless dollars by not changing their body style every year because they had no serious competition. Today they are being forced to come up with new models. How long can Tesla compete in the $40,000 range with never changing models???

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
technically you are correct based on the exact wording however I believe it will be free because the Mach E has been stated over and over again to be the new flagship of the Ford EV fleet. Ford wants to own the market. Giving something away with the purchase once again is GREAT marketing move. Ford is giving away the free 240 charger which Tesla charges for. I believe it is these little things that are convenient for the customer that will sell cars.

I am old enough to remember when electric windows and A/C were options. Now try buying a car without it? It is impossible. I see OTA in the same light. At first it was a cost option now it will be standard. This is how you sell cars. You give away something for free that the other guy charges for and eventually he will have to give it away as well to stay competitive.

Tesla has saved countless dollars by not changing their body style every year because they had no serious competition. Today they are being forced to come up with new models. How long can Tesla compete in the $40,000 range with never changing models???
Actually: Just about every EV comes with at least a Level-1 EVSE (all 3 of my plugins have come with one). Yes the Mach-E will come with a Level-2 but that isn't much different from a Level-1 (at least in cost to Ford). In fact some OEM included Level-1's are/were a simple hack away from being both a Level-1 and Level-2.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm to was, since the beginning, under the impression that hands free driving on the highway would come free has an OTA updates, and part of the Co-Pilot 360 2.0 system, months after delivery would start. Now for Full Self Driving I have very much difficulty believing Tesla or any other manufacturer can achive that for private owned cars like the Model 3 or MME, especially when you look at those ugly testing FSD cars with their array of LIDAR and cameras and so forth, so achieving FSD only with 360 camera and front and rear radar is very questionnable.