TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
the Mach E has been stated over and over again to be the new flagship of the Ford EV fleet. Ford wants to own the market.
Any manufacturer wants to have a hit product, of course, but I think it's a real stretch to say that Ford "wants to own the BEV market". That suggests flooding the market with a variety of BEV models, and shifting dramatically away from the ICE market. And that's not the case.

The Mach-e is their flagship BEV right now. But one BEV model (and a few aging compliance models) is anything but "own the market" strategy. It's more like easing in with a serious entry, while knowing that ICE vehicles are still their bread-and-butter, and will be for many years yet.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Any manufacturer wants to have a hit product, of course, but I think it's a real stretch to say that Ford "wants to own the BEV market". That suggests flooding the market with a variety of BEV models, and shifting dramatically away from the ICE market. And that's not the case.

The Mach-e is their flagship BEV right now. But one BEV model (and a few aging compliance models) is anything but "own the market" strategy. It's more like easing in with a serious entry, while knowing that ICE vehicles are still their bread-and-butter, and will be for many years yet.
Yes, but remember the F-150 and Transit are both supposed to come online next year.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, but remember the F-150 and Transit are both supposed to come online next year.
Of course. That's still more easing compared to their total set of offerings though.

And keep in mind both of those are just BEV variants of those models, which will likely be small volume compared to the ICE versions (certainly for the F-150, at least).

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
As with ALL companies ... What is promised during the Marketing phase rarely equals what happens once it goes into production. 6 months after launch = about a year from now. Direction on everything will change 40389309483 times by then.

1. I'll believe that Ford can deliver FSD when i see it (Tesla still isn't there and has a pretty long ways to go with hundreds of thousands of cars doing beta tests for them).

2. I'll believe that Ford will give away something as substantial as FSD for free when i see it.

In my honest opinion, I think 1 will happen in some shape or form. I do not ever see 2 happening. It will either be a purchase or "free" with purchase of a new model year car. That's how ford has operated forever. Look at Sync 2 vs Sync 3. It took standard parts that you get from Ford and roughly 30 minutes to an hours of an amateurs time to swap a Sync 3 module into a Sync 2 (MFT) car. Ford refused to offer that as an upgrade option. You had to buy a new model year car to get it even though they literally didn't have to create a single extra part to make it work. Zero engineering costs, no new manufacturing costs, just service costs that would be charged to the customer. Nope, it was more profitable to try to sell new vehicles. Once the 2021 models are out, they will need to find a way to differentiate the 2022 models or the 2023 models so they can maintain high MSRP.

I don't put much stock in pre-production interviews. Unless it's written in your contract that they will provide it and for free, I wouldn't expect it unless you like being disappointed.

Last edited:
Reactions: abr

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'll believe that Ford can deliver FSD when i see it (Tesla still isn't there and has a pretty long ways to go with hundreds of thousands of cars doing beta tests for them).
I believe the feature Ford is talking about is the "Copilot 360 assist 2.0" (equivalent of Tesla Autopilot), not FSD. AFAIK, Ford has never promised FSD. While they have listed Copilot assist 2.0 as an standard feature for all models on the web site, I have also seen Darren Palmer refer to it as available on premium and above, and not available until about 6 months after launch "to get it right" before delivering to customers. What is unclear to me is if it requires the 360 cameras which the Select does not have, again according to the website.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
I believe the feature Ford is talking about is the "Copilot 360 assist 2.0" (equivalent of Tesla Autopilot), not FSD. AFAIK, Ford has never promised FSD. While they have listed Copilot assist 2.0 as an standard feature for all models on the web site, I have also seen Darren Palmer refer to it as available on premium and above, and not available until about 6 months after launch "to get it right" before delivering to customers. What is unclear to me is if it requires the 360 cameras which the Select does not have, again according to the website.
That's probably true. That's also where this becomes marketing. If that's true, then Tesla doesn't charge for Autopilot anymore. They did in the past so he can say "we are giving something free that others charged for" while ignoring that it's free now for others. Oh the joys of marketing :)

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It seems here in Canada anyway that all the tech not included in the MSRP base price of the Select model is available has optional, I'm talking about the 360 cam and park assist. So if you get those option maybe you will get hands free driving with it
Sponsored