Just found something REALLY nice about Line Centering!

Mike16

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Star White
Country flag
You can actually choose where you want to be on the line. So when cruise and Line Centering is ON, if you want to be more to the left or right, just keep the car where you want to be, you will feel your horse trying to resist you but after ~5 sec he will know who’s the boss and keep that position!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Thevanin

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'09 Ford Focus, '78 Cadillac DeVille
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Wait... really? Is that in the owners manual or settings anywhere or just something you observed? I've noticed that mine hugs the right side a bit more than I'd like, I'll have to try this.

OP
OP
Mike16

Mike16

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t know if it’s in the manual but I was playing with that on my way home and found that. Mine is hugging the right side too , and I can literrally make it hug the left line if I want

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
You can actually choose where you want to be on the line. So when LKA is ON, if you want to be more to the left or right, just keep the car where you want to be, you will feel your horse trying to resist you but after ~5 sec he will know who’s the boss and keep that position!
Was this with lane keeping (no cruise control) or Lane Centering (with cruise control on)?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
You can actually choose where you want to be on the line. So when LKA is ON, if you want to be more to the left or right, just keep the car where you want to be, you will feel your horse trying to resist you but after ~5 sec he will know who’s the boss and keep that position!
I found the same. There is a lane on the freeway with a string of potholes that the right side tires will hit if I drive down the center of the lane. So, I move over to the left a little bit and miss them all. I then let go of the wheel a bit and the car stayed over to the left. I wondered if the camera was able to identify the potholes and avoid them......but your explanation makes more sense. :)
Pretty cool.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
With cruise control ON, didn’t know there was another name for it
Lane Keeping is just the steering wheel shake and the nudge back into the lane when you wander. It can get a bit ping-pong like. (Page 225 in the manual).
Lane Centering is only active with adaptive cruise control and that’s what will keep you straight and true down the center of the lane. (Page 217-218 in the manual). Though some people, like my wife, argue over where the center of the lane is. :rolleyes:
But now that I really read it, page 219 does say “If you drive off center within the lane, the system sets and maintains that preferred lane position.”
GREAT FIND!! @Mike16
Maybe my wife will use the lane centering instead of arguing like she does with Alexa and Siri. ?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I read that somewhere in the manual as well. I've tried it and it works great.

OP
OP
Mike16

Mike16

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Lane Keeping is just the steering wheel shake and the nudge back into the lane when you wander. It can get a bit ping-pong like. (Page 225 in the manual).
Lane Centering is only active with adaptive cruise control and that’s what will keep you straight and true down the center of the lane. (Page 217-218 in the manual).
Thanks, edited my post! :)

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I thought I had read this in the manual, and definitely experienced it myself, but never bothered to truly look into it.

I just wish it'd automatically know that if I'm in the left lane, I want to be more to the left, and if I'm in the right, I want to be more to the right!!

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Wait... really? Is that in the owners manual or settings anywhere or just something you observed? I've noticed that mine hugs the right side a bit more than I'd like, I'll have to try this.
Will need to be relearned each time LC is reactivated.

7A480667-C070-40D7-A7F5-105FCFCD0F10.jpeg

Last edited:

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I don't remember where I read it. But I somehow know this feature before I picked up my Mach E and started doing this while cruising. It's probably highlighted in a Ford video or Ford online posting, and was quoted in this forum.

I didn't know the threshold is 5 seconds, and I didn't know for sure whether it's working. But I felt it was. Thank yo for clearing this up.

I just wish it'd automatically know that if I'm in the left lane, I want to be more to the left, and if I'm in the right, I want to be more to the right!!
I thought about that as well. But it's much harder in practice. In practice, it depends on whether the road has median separator, how far the separator is, whether the road has shoulder, the condition of the shoulder, etc.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
You can actually choose where you want to be on the line. So when cruise and Line Centering is ON, if you want to be more to the left or right, just keep the car where you want to be, you will feel your horse trying to resist you but after ~5 sec he will know who’s the boss and keep that position!
We need to award you for best tip of the day. Had no idea you could do this.

redrambha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MachE Premium Extended RWD
Country flag
One of my gripes with my Volvo’s (which the ME replaced) lane centering. This is awesome.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
This is a great find! Going to try it on the way home tonight. Passing trucks on the highway I am always feeling too close on the right.
Sponsored