Just got a (unrequested) refund email from Ford

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Ford emailed me this morning to tell me that my deposit was being refunded, and if I felt like this was in error to call the dealership. When I talked to my dealership, I explained that I was under the impression that my deposit would be counted towards the down payment, and come off of the purchase price of the vehicle. But they said it was Ford's policy to refund that money. I was mainly worried that something had happened and my order had been canceled (which would be the ultimate slap in the face since it allegedly went into production yesterday). The dealership said that my order was still good and that was standard operating procedures.

Does that sound right to everyone on here? Have you heard something similar from your dealership or received a refund of your deposit back from Ford?
Should I be freaking out right now? Or does that all seem normal? It's been about 13 years since I've ordered a brand new car, and don't even remember if I put down a deposit for them to even refund at this point.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rocky29670

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
That doesn't make sense to me. As far as I know the deposit does go to the purchase price
That's what I was thinking, I'm not so much concerned about them keeping the money towards the purchase price, versus me having the cash on hand as I was about the car being canceled. I hadn't read about anyone else getting a deposit refunded so it sounded weird to me.

Maybe one of the Ford insiders on the board can offer some insight.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
That depends:

When I made the reservation I paid the $ to Ford. When I converted my reservation to and order Ford refunded my deposit and I made a 2nd one to the dealer--Ford didn't transfer my deposit to the dealer (was a wash anyway as it was the same amount).

So perhaps that was Ford returning your initial deposit that wasn't going to the dealer.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
If you placed a RESERVATION with ford's online system prior to July 2020, then the reservation deposit was with Ford. When you converted that reservation to an order, you should have gotten your deposit back from Ford. You would then have to negotiate with the dealer about a deposit on the order. At least, that's what happened to many of us last July

OP
OP
Rocky29670

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That depends:

When I made the reservation I paid the $ to Ford. When I converted my reservation to and order Ford refunded my deposit and I made a 2nd one to the dealer--Ford didn't transfer my deposit to the dealer (was a wash anyway as it was the same amount).

So perhaps that was Ford returning your initial deposit that wasn't going to the dealer.
I paid Ford $500 originally, then they refunded that and then I paid Ford $1000 when I ordered. Anyone think I need to call a Ford support line and get an explanation from them? Or just take my dealer at their word that the build order isn't cancelled and it's still my car to purchase?

OP
OP
Rocky29670

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you placed a RESERVATION with ford's online system prior to July 2020, then the reservation deposit was with Ford. When you converted that reservation to an order, you should have gotten your deposit back from Ford. You would then have to negotiate with the dealer about a deposit on the order. At least, that's what happened to many of us last July
My dealer had me do a deposit when I ordered, but not sure why it was refunded by Ford directly and not kept to come off of the purchase price.

Last edited:

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Ford emailed me this morning to tell me that my deposit was being refunded, and if I felt like this was in error to call the dealership. When I talked to my dealership, I explained that I was under the impression that my deposit would be counted towards the down payment, and come off of the purchase price of the vehicle. But they said it was Ford's policy to refund that money. I was mainly worried that something had happened and my order had been canceled (which would be the ultimate slap in the face since it allegedly went into production yesterday). The dealership said that my order was still good and that was standard operating procedures.

Does that sound right to everyone on here? Have you heard something similar from your dealership or received a refund of your deposit back from Ford?
Should I be freaking out right now? Or does that all seem normal? It's been about 13 years since I've ordered a brand new car, and don't even remember if I put down a deposit for them to even refund at this point.
Did Ford e-mail you or your dealer?
If you are talking about the deposit you gave to FORD MOTOR COMPANY via the Online Reservation System then those funds must be refunded to you. It is my understanding those funds can't be transferred or used towards the purchase price of your vehicle. Credit card statement would show as Giddup or something like that I believe.....

Your dealer may or may not require a deposit and that amount may be $500 or something different. That is technically a separate transaction. In my case, when I converted my Reservation order to an Order Request then Ford refunded my $500 and I made a new deposit to my dealership for a different $500. Some people look at this like the original deposit going to the purchase of the vehicle but for legal reasons it can't occur quite that way.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Just got a (unrequested) refund email from Ford 1610040665505

OP
OP
Rocky29670

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you are talking about the deposit you gave to FORD MOTOR COMPANY via the Online Reservation System then those funds must be refunded to you. It is my understanding those funds can't be transferred or used towards the purchase price of your vehicle. Credit card statement would show as Giddup or something like that I believe.....

Your dealer may or may not require a deposit and that amount may be $500 or something different. That is technically a separate transaction. In my case, when I converted my Reservation order to an Order Request then Ford refunded my $500 and I made a new deposit to my dealership for a different $500. Some people look at this like the original deposit going to the purchase of the vehicle but for legal reasons it can't occur quite that way.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Just got a (unrequested) refund email from Ford 1610040665505
Yeah I did the original reservation deposit with Ford and that was already returned. I just looked it up and my dealer required a $1000 deposit so I paid that to them when I ordered. So I'm not sure why Ford is now returning me that deposit.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Yeah I did the original reservation deposit with Ford and that was already returned. I just looked it up and my dealer required a $1000 deposit so I paid that to them when I ordered. So I'm not sure why Ford is now returning me that deposit.
Yup time to give Ford a call and say WTF?

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag

I have to think, but I believe I was refunded the original $500 registration funds once I converted my order with the dealership. The dealer never charged me again for the order.

OP
OP
Rocky29670

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All seems to be figured out now, dealer sent me a follow-up email and explained that since he knew I was going to purchase it for sure that they didn't want to hold that money over my head like some dealers may. It would also alleviate some paperwork during the purchase. So my freak out wasn't warranted, but hopefully, it helps if anyone else has a similar situation arise.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag

1610040665505.png
Looked the same for me.

Was $500 in from Ford and $500 out to the dealer on the same day (6/28/20).

Last edited: