SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Not that it helps your current situation, but I keep a small stack of moving blankets at the ready in the garage in part for scenarios like this.
Sponsored

PA-Fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I went through hail damage like that with a 2014 Mustang GT Premium that was 4 months old. My wife and I were actually in the car when the hail started, all the 2nd story windows on the street we were on were broken. Thousands of cars had their windshield and/or rear window shattered.

my insurance company bought me a new hood because it was aluminum. The the 200 Plus dents were Pulled out without repainting. The worst of the post ding trama was several interior trim pieces not installed properly as well as one of the hoses that supplied wiper fluid to the windshield was pinched.

I traded it in on a 2016 Mustang GT Premium mainly because I didn’t like the thought that it was taken apart and put back together by a body shop, not on the Ford Production line anymore.

honestly, my body shop did an amazing job. If you are near Philadelphia and want the name of an incredible body shop, let me know.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
hail from hell
ouch
when I lived in CO I had an '82 Mustange 5.0 GT destroyed by 1"+ hail.... looded like somebody went after the car with a hammer. broke driver's side mirror off the car, dented hood, roof,and even A pillar! Insurance company totalled the car, gave me a check.... and I just kept driving it. Severe Hail Acne (SHA)

Yesterday we got pea-size in NM.... hood and metal roof on Select are fine. I'm wondering how big it would have to be to leave dents ?

OP
OP
troublebot

troublebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium EXT AWD, Infinite Blue
Occupation
Industrial Design & Mechanical Engineering
Country flag
So the good news is all the glass survived and I don't see any damage on the glass roof or most of the body panels, save for one (probably repairable) dent on the fender right next to the hood.

The hood is pretty dinged up, potentially a couple dozen identifiable dents, I think most of the dents can probably be repaired but I don't know yet how it compares to replacing/painting a new hood.

Usually the MME is in the garage when bad weather is forecasted, but we just got back from a trip where my car was parked in the DFW airport garage so we put the CX-5 in there to keep it safe (from the weather+the catalytic converter thieves). It decided to get a big ol' flat tire and since it's not being driven right now, fixing and moving it wasn't high on the priority list. Our first sign that major hail was coming down was what sounded like someone going ham with a baseball bat in our attic. Our outdoor warning sirens didn't even go off until after the hail had stopped.

We did get lucky though, before I thought to start recording the hail we had a handful of larger near-baseball-sized hailstones hit in the driveway, but as far as I can tell none of them actually struck the MME. One exploded right in front of the garage sending a big chunk of ice hurtling into my wife's leg and leaving a nice bruise. That guided our decision to not try to go out and cover the car because a direct hit from one of those stones (and there was no way to know if it was going to get better or worse) could have been game over.

Our car insurance is WAY better than our health insurance.

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium, Infinite Blue
Country flag
That’s crazy! Glad it wasn’t any worse than that.

OrangerGT

First Name
Y
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT
Country flag
So the good news is all the glass survived and I don't see any damage on the glass roof or most of the body panels, save for one (probably repairable) dent on the fender right next to the hood.

The hood is pretty dinged up, potentially a couple dozen identifiable dents, I think most of the dents can probably be repaired but I don't know yet how it compares to replacing/painting a new hood.

Usually the MME is in the garage when bad weather is forecasted, but we just got back from a trip where my car was parked in the DFW airport garage so we put the CX-5 in there to keep it safe (from the weather+the catalytic converter thieves). It decided to get a big ol' flat tire and since it's not being driven right now, fixing and moving it wasn't high on the priority list. Our first sign that major hail was coming down was what sounded like someone going ham with a baseball bat in our attic. Our outdoor warning sirens didn't even go off until after the hail had stopped.

We did get lucky though, before I thought to start recording the hail we had a handful of larger near-baseball-sized hailstones hit in the driveway, but as far as I can tell none of them actually struck the MME. One exploded right in front of the garage sending a big chunk of ice hurtling into my wife's leg and leaving a nice bruise. That guided our decision to not try to go out and cover the car because a direct hit from one of those stones (and there was no way to know if it was going to get better or worse) could have been game over.

Our car insurance is WAY better than our health insurance.
Definitely safety first! You made the right call. The car can get repaired, your head probably less so. And if it can't, it's just a car at the end of the day.

Valkyrie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Occupation
Future Prediction
Country flag
Drive to Phoenix on a hot 115-120 F day. Heat might pop those dents back out of heat rolled steel.

Cooghead

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Logistics company owner
Country flag
Many people keep a bunch of junk in their garage and leave their 60k to 100+ k cars parked outside.

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
One of my first drives in my GTPE was through random small hail. It never hails in the Bag Area, but it was scary for the car.
Sponsored