Just hit 9000 miles, paint chips everywhere :(

MustThee?

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach Premium E
I ended up having PPF installed on the entire car at 400 miles. It was expensive and it was mostly to appease my OCD. Whether it was worth it is definitely subjective.

Same OCD here, first time for PPF to any of my cars but had to do it when I had less than 200 miles on it and then I could drive without worrying. Did the entire front and front door in PPF and ceramic all over. Hopefully I will feel good about the investment after years of use.
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Under plan orders, you can get up to $50 worth of items free without issue, I just ask for the touchup paint.
I have not heard this before. What kind of free things and are you referring to the Options Plan?

cargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
Dr color chip works well, i got 2 small chips within first week of ownership. PPF was already scheduled for 3 weeks after

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I have not heard this before. What kind of free things and are you referring to the Options Plan?
No, I'm referring to A/Z/D/X discount plans. And, as I said, I ask for touchup paint and get it.

shoopla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE, '16 Volvo S60 CrossCountry, '16 XC60
Occupation
Proj Engineer
Country flag
Its the touch up paint that can be ordered through your Ford dealer; about $20 if I remember right.
Amazon also has it for slightly less and can get it 2 day Prime, at least in Shadow Black and a few other colors, if your dealer doesn't have it readily available.
PMPC-19500-7343A (Shadow Black, you'll have to look up other colors at parts.ford.com)

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Same OCD here, first time for PPF to any of my cars but had to do it when I had less than 200 miles on it and then I could drive without worrying. Did the entire front and front door in PPF and ceramic all over. Hopefully I will feel good about the investment after years of use.
My old E320 has 330,000 miles on it. The chips and dings on the front were a disaster. Seriously, there was practically no paint left on the lower part of the bumper. I removed the bumper, disassembled all the senors, and repainted it myself. It looks awesome. Of course now it has some new dings, but it is not very noticeable.

I am going to get an estimate for putting PPF on the front of the car, but I kind of agree with some other posts that there are alternatives that may be more cost effective. The bumper paint kit cost me around $125.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, I'm referring to A/Z/D/X discount plans. And, as I said, I ask for touchup paint and get it.
Cool. I am buying with the X-Plan. I didn't know about the free stuff. Thanks for pointing it out!

hls811

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR
Country flag
Did you do ceramic over the PPE, or just in places that the PPE didn't cover? What about the glass roof? I have a few months before mine gets here, but trying to formulate a plan and put some money aside.. I have a Durango now and I cringe with every paint chip - I'm thinking of taking mine from the dealership right to my ceramic installer and getting it done before I start driving it.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Cool. I am buying with the X-Plan. I didn't know about the free stuff. Thanks for pointing it out!
I suggest that you read the X-Plan rules. There is no "free stuff". Specifically, it says:
  • Unless prohibited by your state law, X-Plan customers may accept items or services of nominal value (i.e. $50 or less dealership cost) as a gift or reward in connection with an X- Plan sale or lease. All gifts or rewards offered by the dealership for sponsoring an X-Plan sale or lease must be comparable with gifts or rewards offered by the dealership on retail sales or leases, and may not exceed $50 in value (dealership cost).
  • Examples of acceptable gifts include a wall calendar, Motorcraft apparel, gas card, an oil change, a car wash, etc, provided the item or service does not exceed $50 in value (dealership cost).
  • Dealerships may not offer services or items below their market value (dealership cost) to stay within the $50 limit (i.e. $1 for rust proofing or $10 for a bed liner).
  • No service, accessory or items valued above $50 may be accepted by an X-Plan customer, even if the same offer is extended to non-Plan customers.
So, if your dealership never offers this to any customer, you won't get it with an X-Plan purchase. My dealership does.

Trick.Mach-E

First Name
Trick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old Raptor, Mach-E4x, New Raptor, F-250, Taycan.
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag
We regret not doing any PPF on my wife's Audi A5 Cabriolet. There were a lot of paint chips after 37K. With her Mach-E we had PPF applied shortly after we bought it and so far it is paying off. No chips after almost 11K in driving... including 1 3200 trip from CA to TX and back.

The PPF certainly made it easier to clean this mess up...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Just hit 9000 miles, paint chips everywhere :( IMG_0154

MustThee?

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach Premium E
Did you do ceramic over the PPE, or just in places that the PPE didn't cover? What about the glass roof? I have a few months before mine gets here, but trying to formulate a plan and put some money aside.. I have a Durango now and I cringe with every paint chip - I'm thinking of taking mine from the dealership right to my ceramic installer and getting it done before I start driving it.
Yes ceramic over PPF also. Not on glass roof though. I wasn’t as good of a planner before picking up the car so had not scheduled anything but once I got it, I didn’t drive much (less than 200 miles) before getting it installed. Much more peace of mind.

OP
OP
AlpaChino

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
We regret not doing any PPF on my wife's Audi A5 Cabriolet. There were a lot of paint chips after 37K. With her Mach-E we had PPF applied shortly after we bought it and so far it is paying off. No chips after almost 11K in driving... including 1 3200 trip from CA to TX and back.

The PPF certainly made it easier to clean this mess up...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Just hit 9000 miles, paint chips everywhere :( IMG_0154
Holy shit.

Trick.Mach-E

First Name
Trick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old Raptor, Mach-E4x, New Raptor, F-250, Taycan.
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag
Holy shit.
And the picture I posted with all the bug splat wasn't from the whole trip! All that splat was from our return trip home from San Antonio, TX just to Phoenix, AZ!

I had some time to find a really nice self-service car wash near Lackland AFB in San Antonio before our son's BMT ceremony so I cleaned up the Mach-E which was just as bad as the picture above!

I have to admit I love good self-service car washes outside of CA! You get warm water and soap that actually works! I wasn't able to wash the Mach-E when we returned from TX for a few days but with my bug cleaner and sponge I was able to clean up the splat very easily :)

OP
OP
AlpaChino

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
And the picture I posted with all the bug splat wasn't from the whole trip! All that splat was from our return trip home from San Antonio, TX just to Phoenix, AZ!

I had some time to find a really nice self-service car wash near Lackland AFB in San Antonio before our son's BMT ceremony so I cleaned up the Mach-E which was just as bad as the picture above!

I have to admit I love good self-service car washes outside of CA! You get warm water and soap that actually works! I wasn't able to wash the Mach-E when we returned from TX for a few days but with my bug cleaner and sponge I was able to clean up the splat very easily :)
I'm wiping off maybe 5 to 10 bugs at a time lately, so seeing the picture you posted gave me a mild panic attack I think ?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I'm wiping off maybe 5 to 10 bugs at a time lately, so seeing the picture you posted gave me a mild panic attack I think ?
so you're saying the picture
?➡?
bugged you?
Sponsored